Folders Limit? Is There or Isn't There?

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
Maybe I'm mistaken about being able to create more than 5 folders? I was sure that was a new "feature" of Carbon and/or the H3. If so, why can I create more, only to have them wiped out at next restart?
This has happened several times - every time I create more than 5 folders, any reboot of the H3 wipes out all but 5 and moves the affected recordings back to a "no folder" view. Anyone else run into this? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with my setup/Hopper/software. Are others able to have more than 5 folders and most importantly - do the folders survive a reboot?

Last edited:
To my knowledge, 5 has always been the limit for folders we can create. So agree, there is a problem if they only allow 5 but let users create more. I've never had a need to make more so have not tried this yet.

To my knowledge, 5 has always been the limit for folders we can create. So agree, there is a problem if they only allow 5 but let users create more. I've never had a need to make more so have not tried this yet.
that was an advertised "feature" of the new Hopper - unless I totally misunderstood.

Maybe I'm losing it - I was sure I read somewhere that we could create more than the original 5 folders allowed with the old Hopper and UI - is that NOT true?? If so, why can I CREATE more than 5, only to have them obliterated at the next reboot?

I reported this as well. I can create as many folders as I want, but after a restart, only 6 (yes 6, not 5 for me) are retained. I'm assuming this is a bug. Why let us create folders only to have them deleted?

I reported this as well. I can create as many folders as I want, but after a restart, only 6 (yes 6, not 5 for me) are retained. I'm assuming this is a bug. Why let us create folders only to have them deleted?
Thank you for the reply - I thought I imagined this whole thing! Even stranger that you can have 6 and only 5 for me. YIKES!

I have found that when folders are empty, some will be hidden on the DVR screen but are still listed in the Manage Folders screen. If a timer sends something, or you move something to the folder, it will show up again on the DVR screen.

I have found that when folders are empty, some will be hidden on the DVR screen but are still listed in the Manage Folders screen. If a timer sends something, or you move something to the folder, it will show up again on the DVR screen.
These have been folders with programs in them - they are dumped back to the "no folder" view after a reset and the related folders are gone. They are no longer available in Manage Folders.

I haven't seen this issue. Mine seem to work fine.
I currently have 7 folders only 5 are displayed, but the other 2 are in the manage folders list. I have had my H3 since 1/31 and have not had to reset it for any reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I currently have 7 folders only 5 are displayed, but the other 2 are in the manage folders list. I have had my H3 since 1/31 and have not had to reset it for any reason.

Do you know for sure whether it has it done the "nightly restart"?

No, I don't know for sure, but I assume it has. I don't have it disabled

I'm not convinced that mine is doing the update - the reason being is that I've made sure everything is shut down by 1AM. Then I leave the TV attached to the Hopper turned on. I'm working on my computer nearby until about 3AM (sometimes later) So far, I have NEVER seen it do any sort of "auto-restart". The only reboots have been the 1 or 2 times that it locked up and I was forced to push the button. Maybe I didn't see it, but if it's happening, it must be really well hidden.

I've got the same issue, but in my case I have 6 that survive the reboot. I've added the extra folders many times. One reboot was when I attached an OTA tuner.
Another was when I got the black box in the middle of the screen. Another was when I rebooted on purpose to test the folders.
Every reboot I end up with 6 folders. And I did have recordings in each folder.
The surviving folders are always the first 6 alphabetically.

I've got the same issue, but in my case I have 6 that survive the reboot. I've added the extra folders many times. One reboot was when I attached an OTA tuner.
Another was when I got the black box in the middle of the screen. Another was when I rebooted on purpose to test the folders.
Every reboot I end up with 6 folders. And I did have recordings in each folder.
The surviving folders are always the first 6 alphabetically.
Glad to hear I'm not alone (or imagining things)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts