For Puerto Rico customers: What HD do you want on the spot beam?

neljtorres

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
:)Well guys if I had the chance and be able to talk to somebody at Dish and ask them to give me more HDTV in our HD package here are my picks:

For me:
NFLHD
ESPNHD
ESPN 2 HD
SPEED HD
TBSHD
UniversalHD
CNNHD
ESPNNewsHD
NBATV HD
TWCHD
ABC WPRU going HD on the summer
WSJX FOX going HD this summer
WVXF CBS going Hd this summer
WIPR DT has a PBS-HD on channel 55-5 OTA
For my wife
HGTVHD
FOODHD
TLCHD
TravelHD
For my kids
Cartoon NetwworkHD
ABC Family HD

Remeber guys this is only a suggestion for a package for us in P.R.!:)

Last edited:
I already have most of those HD channels you speak of and I live in Puerto Rico....but you need to use a 6 ft dish to receive them...and more than one dish.

You mention the local channels for the networks fox..abc..etc. You mention HD for summer...have you heard anything? right now the quality of those channels sucks.

:eek:

I already have most of those HD channels you speak of and I live in Puerto Rico....but you need to use a 6 ft dish to receive them...and more than one dish.

You mention the local channels for the networks fox..abc..etc. You mention HD for summer...have you heard anything? right now the quality of those channels sucks.

:eek:

:upYeah but if it comes from our spotbeam that is on 110 transponder 49 the signal strength in my 4 footer at spotbeam 25 is 125. You imagine watching HD without any fade? Even with rain you will not lose your signal!

Why don't they give us SCIFI and USA that already are in 110. I don't understand it. I was thinking of droping Dish and go with Liberty since I can't either activate the dishHD essential package since I live in Puerto Rico. Does anybody know if dish is going to make changes to our dishHD package? I've heard rumors but nothing concrete.

On the Charlie Chat Recap of 6/9/2008 says that, "By the end of the summer the Mpeg2 channels will be turned off." Meaning that some changes will take place during the summer, that will affect Puerto Rico's customers.

Why Pueto Rico's customers that are paying the same 10 dollars as conus customers for HD, doesn't get at least, SCIFI and USA that are located in the 110 orbital location with enough signal to watch them?

Also, transponders 2, 22, 25, and 30 on 61.5 can be seen by anyone in Puerto Rico today with a 4 foot dish.

Here is a smal test done using the new Dish Signal Meter, some channel information from LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite, and a 4 foot dish.
More than 11 in signal strength is enough to watch a channel although the channel may experience rain fade.

transponder 7 @ 110 = 26 signal strength with a 4 foot dish.
TNT / HDNet / HDNet Movies / ESPN HD

transponder 13 @ 110 = 27 signal strength with a 4 foot dish.
HD Theather / HBO / Showtime / NBATV

transponder 17 @ 110 = 28 signal strength with a 4 foot dish.
USA Network / Scifi

transponder 2 @ 61.5 = 34 signal strength with 4 foot dish.
NHL Network USA HD / ESPN 2HD / NFL Network HD / Starz East HD / HGTV HD / Food Network

transponder 19 @ 61.5 = 10 signal strength with 4 foot dish. (A 6 foot dish is necessary for better signal)
Versus HD / The Golf Channels US HD / MHD / WorldSport HD / Discovery Channel HD / TLC HD / Animal Planet HD / The Science Channel HD

transponder 22 @ 61.5 = 24 signal strength with 4 foot dish.
A&E East HD / Universal HD / National Geographic Channel US HD / Cinemax HDTV East / The History Channel HD / TBS West HD / NBATV

transponder 24 @ 61.5 = 13 signal strength with 4 foot dish.
(A 6 foot dish is necessary for better signal)
Disney Channel East HD / ABC Family East HD / Toon Disney HD / Cartoon Network East HD / Bravo East HD / ESPN News HD

transponder 25 @ 61.5 = 28 signal strength with 4 foot dish.
CNN USA HD

transponder 30 @ 61.5 = 25 signal strength with 4 foot dish.
MSG Network HD / MSG Plus HD / Fox Sports Network, South, Florida, and Pittsburgh / Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic / SportsNet NewYork / NESN / Big Ten Network

Hello,

I own an 8' dish on 61.5 in Fajardo and I cannot get any signal with the odd transponders (Rainbow). how did you manage 10db on tp19?

Are you any where near Fajardo? or are you on the west coast?

Your input may help me to acquire any signal for rainbow tps, and I would appreciate it greatly.

Jossy

What he said.

If Dish decides to turn on all the transponders on the Puerto Rico/USVI spot beam there will be room for a about 28 HD channels SPECIFICALLY for PR/USVI at 110°.

So, back to the question, What channels would you like to see in a mythical PR HD pack? Specifically, are there any channels that would not necessaryly be of interest to the rest of the US?

See ya
Tony

For My Family:

Discovery HD
ScienceChannel HD
National Geographic HD
HGTV HD
FOOD Network HD
TBS HD
SCIFI HD
USA HD
CNN HD
TLC HD
HISTORY HD
DISNEY HD
CARTOON NET HD
ANIMAL PLANET HD
ABC HD
CBS HD
FOX HD
NBC HD

Do you think this will happen? I am loosing faith!

Hi all, I am a long time reader, first time posting!

Being a long time customer of Dish Network, the first thing I would like to have is any way to update my equipment. I hace a 510, 311 and 811 (HD). But I have not been able to upgrade in any way (no Dish'n it up for PR, even though in Dishnet web page it appears as one of my options).

I haven't been able to subscribe to HD, since the 811 is so "old" that the representative told me that they are not activating HD packages for 811 receivers, even though I told her that I knew I would not be able to receive mpg4, etc. It seems Dish does not want my money....

So right now, I'm stuck with HBOHD, Showtime HD and the HD Theater test in ch. 5710.

If anyone knows any way to update equipment in PR, (besides buying in ebay and crossing my fingers, hoping for a legit and functional receiver) please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

Back on topic- I can think of:

The networks- ABC,CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox,
Locals, especiallly WIPR (hey, I can dream...)
ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews
NFL
Discovery
TBS, TNT
Universal
NBATV
HGTV
TLC
ABC Family
SCIFI
HDNet
The movie channels, of course, (HBO, Sho, Starz, Max, etc...)
National Geographic
Science Channel
Disney
a Regional Sports network (again, dreaming. When I was on 4dtv, I used to receive every regional network, since my location didn't mean lost of revenues from not going to the stadiums, etc. That eventually changed to one, and now on Dish, ZERO....)

I currently subscribe to America's Everything Pack, so I wouldn't mind any other HD they throw in...

So that's it for now. If Dish would only let me upgrade my equipment and subscribe, they will have my money, and I will be happy watching HD! Until then, I am not losing the faith but, unfortunately, I am not holding my breath either....

...unless neljtorres know something... ;);)

upgrade

Hi

You can call a Dish Network reatailer in PR for a upgrade, using dish n it up promo, its work in PR.

Hi all, I am a long time reader, first time posting!

Being a long time customer of Dish Network, the first thing I would like to have is any way to update my equipment. I hace a 510, 311 and 811 (HD). But I have not been able to upgrade in any way (no Dish'n it up for PR, even though in Dishnet web page it appears as one of my options).

I haven't been able to subscribe to HD, since the 811 is so "old" that the representative told me that they are not activating HD packages for 811 receivers, even though I told her that I knew I would not be able to receive mpg4, etc. It seems Dish does not want my money....

So right now, I'm stuck with HBOHD, Showtime HD and the HD Theater test in ch. 5710.

If anyone knows any way to update equipment in PR, (besides buying in ebay and crossing my fingers, hoping for a legit and functional receiver) please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

Back on topic- I can think of:

The networks- ABC,CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox,
Locals, especiallly WIPR (hey, I can dream...)
ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews
NFL
Discovery
TBS, TNT
Universal
NBATV
HGTV
TLC
ABC Family
SCIFI
HDNet
The movie channels, of course, (HBO, Sho, Starz, Max, etc...)
National Geographic
Science Channel
Disney
a Regional Sports network (again, dreaming. When I was on 4dtv, I used to receive every regional network, since my location didn't mean lost of revenues from not going to the stadiums, etc. That eventually changed to one, and now on Dish, ZERO....)

I currently subscribe to America's Everything Pack, so I wouldn't mind any other HD they throw in...

So that's it for now. If Dish would only let me upgrade my equipment and subscribe, they will have my money, and I will be happy watching HD! Until then, I am not losing the faith but, unfortunately, I am not holding my breath either....

...unless neljtorres know something... ;);)

Thanks vcsatellite.
I tried that once and was told that there was no option, that's why I was trying directly with U.S.. I will try again soon...

Any dealer suggestions? (Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I know that here I can find knowledgeable people from PR...)

Some Dealers in Puerto Rico are offering HD. But guys Dish is going to put a new bird in 110. Let's see and wait what happens! I know that they have a lot of empty space in the spotbeams for like about 28 HD channles like Tony says in his post above . The question about the HD promo in Puerto Rico guys Technoguy can answer that question for you he is an installer here in P.R!

Let's wait and see what Dish has for us in PR!:cool::cool:

Dish n it up

Call your retailer, he can do the upgrade. Im a retailer in the northwest and I do Dish n it up to my customer.

Thanks vcsatellite.
I tried that once and was told that there was no option, that's why I was trying directly with U.S.. I will try again soon...

Any dealer suggestions? (Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I know that here I can find knowledgeable people from PR...)

Ok Boys and Girls:)
As previously posted by me in other thread I told some Dishnetwork executives arrived today here to discuss HD programing and other stuff hopefully would help our costumers in PR. Here's some info I can discuss with you guys:We'll have 22 HD channels available for Us (New and current costumers with the PR HD pack)(We don't know yet what channels we will get)(The price will be the same as we discuss with them but I have to confirm they will keep the $ 9.99 for sure,so take it like a rumor)Sci Fi and USA HD will be available hopefully next week or sooner as part of the current package.There are other services and offers that as a today we don't have it that we'll enjoy very,very soon.;)
So finally we'll get some justice and better treatment from Dishnetwork,I feel pretty good about the future of this company in general after this, And for the folks living in AK and HI you are not left behind, they have plans for you too.:)

As of today Universal HD is open in the PR HDPak. Channel 9427 mpeg4 @ 61.7 transponder 22.

I can see the channel right now, but can anyone else confirm this?

Last edited:
I pointed the dish using the azimuth and elevation value given by the Dish box, so anyone can do the same. The test was done in the north coast and those values are not in db, it is only a 10 in the new dish signal meter using a 4 foot offset dish.

A 10 is enough to watch the channels in transponder 19 using the new signal meter but it is in the border of losing the signal with some rain, so for this transponder, a 6 foot dish is recommended. They changed the meter a couple of months ago.

Hope that helps!

Hello,

I own an 8' dish on 61.5 in Fajardo and I cannot get any signal with the odd transponders (Rainbow). how did you manage 10db on tp19?

Are you any where near Fajardo? or are you on the west coast?

Your input may help me to acquire any signal for rainbow tps, and I would appreciate it greatly.

Jossy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts