For those who would like to Track AMC14

Will AMC 14 function on a limited basis? What percent of functionality do you expect and for how long?
- Curious, thanks

Right now (things could change), if they manage to get the bird to the correct orbit, the only limitations are the length of service. Instead of approx. 15 years, it would/could be much less. Barring any other malfunctions, there are no functionality issues.

Seems to be going right over my house in Raleigh right now...8,500 mile up there! I am like others who have chimed in on this...I don't know what all this means, but it sure is interesting to watch! Hope they find a way to get it up and locked in where it should be. Otherwise, what a huge disappointment for us HD snobs who have been waiting (not so patiently) for new content.

Looks to be climbing pretty rapidly now. Could they have started the move to the correct orbital location?
No indication of that. It is in an elliptical orbit that varies from 470 some miles to 16,400 miles or so. At different points the speed gets up to 5.5 miles per second! I jumped into the thread yeasterday when someone else was wondering if they were trying to change the orbit but it just turned out to be part of its current orbit and no corrective action has been taken.

The data provided for the 'track' is using Keplerian Elements. In other words, the track isn't a real track (not live in the least), it's merely a prediction based on the numbers provided.

The Keps are made by a human, maybe or maybe not with actual knowledge of where the thing is. :)

The data provided for the 'track' is using Keplerian Elements. In other words, the track isn't a real track (not live in the least), it's merely a prediction based on the numbers provided.

The Keps are made by a human, maybe or maybe not with actual knowledge of where the thing is. :)

Haha. But please let's have 10 more pages of "OMG! THE SAT IS FALLING!". Everyone needs to let this go for a while and trust the people who know what they are doing.

Hasta la vista, AMC-14. Here comes the Navy!!!

China_Anti-Satellite_Technology.img_assist_custom.jpg

That puppy is goin' DOWN!!!!!:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)