Ford to drop AM radio in new vehicles

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have to wonder if AM is getting rf interference from motors, clicking relays and equipment in electric cars. Probably trying to solve the problem with a $1 filter in each car would be too costly! Does anyone know if electric cars have AM radios and do they have problems?

I am too frugal.. I don't subscribe to any streaming services, and i do NOT own a cell phone. So, i have no means to stream music when not at home.

As for AM, i rarely use AM any more, except, when we drive across country, and AM is the only place we can find weather bulletins!!

AM/FM is a free service, and requires no monthly fee to tune into. I read the article TRG posted and they site the ability to stream to get access to emergency broadcasts and existing AM services. The problem with that, is then you shift the burden to force someone to pay a monthly service to have DATA plans on their cell phone. My wife owns a cell phone, but its 11.25 a month for unlimited calls and text, but NO data. There are people that cannot afford or don't want to pay for a service that they rarely need. So, unless the government wants to give away free internet to everyone, it doesnt make sense to use the Internet as a means to disperse public and/or emergency information, plus the fact, there are still many areas where wireless internet isn't available across the U.S. Heck, there are still lots of places where cell service for calls aren't available. In the mid-west, get off the Interstate and drive 30 miles away from it, and you will LOOSE your cell phone.

Maybe you can order your new Ford without a "radio", and install an aftermarket unit with AM/FM/XM etc and have it installed professionally...

Used to have a really good FM station that ran the full 50kW with antennae array up and down both sides of the top of their 1500ft tower. Likely close to a MW ERP. Covered the whole area quite nicely. Good music, news, did remotes at most local community events, etc. One of the national networks bought them out, now it's just a robot playing music, moved into city limits at low power. Lost to time I guess. But that's what most FM stations in the area are now.

IN the early 80's I bought a used Corolla that had a factory AM/SW radio. That was cool.. surprised how good the reception was on SW.

AM still has the local flavour where you can listen to your local politics, sports, weather, events, etc. In this area you would really be missing out on that. If you download your podcasts etc before leaving home I guess you can listen to that but there isn't cell coverage for real-time. Cell phone here works through my local wifi system (wifi calling), unless I am closer to town or the city.

Progress I suppose... :(

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
A lot of major Airports usually have an AM traffic information low-power transmitter to help direct vehicles around the departure and arrival lanes. I’ve seen the signs at other major traffic zones that direct the driver to tune in to an AM channel to provide live traffic announcements.

A lot of major Airports usually have an AM traffic information low-power transmitter to help direct vehicles around the departure and arrival lanes. I’ve seen the signs at other major traffic zones that direct the driver to tune in to an AM channel to provide live traffic announcements.
Same goes for National Parks and other points of interest.

A lot of major Airports usually have an AM traffic information low-power transmitter to help direct vehicles around the departure and arrival lanes.
Some provide this service on FM now.

High Energy Ignitions went a long way toward ending AM as a viable automotive technology.

This debate isn't over, Ford is still discussing IF they will remove or not ....

Personally, I had to go out and Look to see if my Truck did or did not Have an AM Radio in it ....
It does ...

Reactions: Foxbat
This debate isn't over, Ford is still discussing IF they will remove or not ....
As car radios become more like wireless tablets, the manufacturers may decide this on behalf of the industry. As no wireless chipset supports AM (and it would be stupid expensive to add it), AM is unlikely to be an option as delivered from the radio manufacturer.

I recently heard a public service announcement on "Save AM Radio" and write congress....The funny thing is, this was on FM 101.5, the new home of AM 720 KDWN. Audacy bought both AM 720 and AM 1140 and simulcast them on FM. They then sold the land that towers sat on for a fortune and turned off the AM signals forever.

• Sad
Reactions: Foxbat
I recently heard a public service announcement on "Save AM Radio" and write congress....The funny thing is, this was on FM 101.5, the new home of AM 720 KDWN. Audacy bought both AM 720 and AM 1140 and simulcast them on FM. They then sold the land that towers sat on for a fortune and turned off the AM signals forever.
And that makes sense, if your have an AM station and an FM station, that they would fight for it.
Or move it to thier FM side, as some have.

I'm not sure when the last time it was that I intentionally turned on an AM station, probably for a ball game I couldn't find on Sirius or FM.

Reactions: AZ.
In many areas, like mine, there are no FM frequencies vacant for an AM station to move to. And most of the content on FM around here is pretty terrible.

Vacant Channels on the FM Dial

Reactions: gasman882001
Depends on what you listen to on the radio. If you listen to exclusively music then you won't miss AM. When I am in the vehicle I like to listen to information such as news,weather,traffic reports and talk radio.

If I was a suspicious person, I would wonder if there are ulterior motives at play here. The cost of adding AM to a radio is pennies so that is out. Perhaps the "powers at be" don't want us listening to certain programs. Look at the top AM most listened to formats and decide for yourselves.

Reactions: TRG
Depends on what you listen to on the radio. If you listen to exclusively music then you won't miss AM. When I am in the vehicle I like to listen to information such as news,weather,traffic reports and talk radio.

If I was a suspicious person, I would wonder if there are ulterior motives at play here. The cost of adding AM to a radio is pennies so that is out. Perhaps the "powers at be" don't want us listening to certain programs. Look at the top AM most listened to formats and decide for yourselves.

I never thought of it that way but you might be on to something.

Reactions: klang and stecle