Forget the BCS "Playoff", here's what I would do with College Football

I'd rather take the computers out of it. They only do what try are told. They go along a pre defined set of guidelines and are no less biased than the person putting in the parameters.

As another poster showed, just look at the difference in rankings among computers on the same team. It's because they are all programmed different. It would be chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Its a mini playoff itself.
I thought they would do it a few years ago, but nooooo, they just added a new game to the BCS mix (the BCS champ game, for money of course).

Problem is, then your awarding the 3rd team with another game while making the team that is number 1 play twice to win.

They can't do this every year, it depends on what happens in the 1 vs 2 game.
You can't make the # 1 team play again if they WIN thier first game against #2

I already cleared that up didn't I? You already have bowl games sold out... a small alottment of tickets still for each school that gets in and I'm sure they would sell out those week too week. But you don't have to play on home fields for these playoff's you can play them in pre-determined locations so you can plan well ahead if need be.

As for the computers not being right or whatever cause of programming...well lets just say you can point a finger at voters for changing minds but if a programmer dips into something already set up then I'm sure that would fall under some laws of tampering, if none exist they could be made up prior to it all setup...but I don't want the voters even involved just computers if it went to a playoff to keep it all fair and not up to the opinion of someone just the stats and numbers.

Problem is, Bowl games are NOT already sold out.
MANY do NOT sell out.

Jimbo said:
Problem is, then your awarding the 3rd team with another game while making the team that is number 1 play twice to win.

I'm not sure I understand your point. If you win, you play one more. No matter your ranking. Same as with any playoff scenario. I just don't see much point beyond the top 4.

It pit 1 vs 4. And 2 vs 3.

I'm not sure I understand your point. If you win, you play one more. No matter your ranking. Same as with any playoff scenario. I just don't see much point beyond the top 4.

You guys are starting to confuse the sh*t out of me. ;)

Then why even play the top 4 teams, just go right to a playoff for them.
That would leave the 5 and up teams to play ther bowl games an dthe top 4 for this mini playoff ... ?

I say start the college football season 3-4 weeks later. The long layoff between the last game and BCSNCG is laughable. Right now we have teams playing for a right to play in the big game. Let them play when both teams are at their best. Bowl games on Jan 1 are a joke. I remember the days when there was excitement when watching these games. Use these bowls and others to construct a playoff. 8 team to start. Look how popular and how much money the NCAA basketball tourney brings in. College football needs to get in the 21st century!!

I say start the college football season 3-4 weeks later. The long layoff between the last game and BCSNCG is laughable. Right now we have teams playing for a right to play in the big game. Let them play when both teams are at their best. Bowl games on Jan 1 are a joke. I remember the days when there was excitement when watching these games. Use these bowls and others to construct a playoff. 8 team to start. Look how popular and how much money the NCAA basketball tourney brings in. College football needs to get in the 21st century!!

The University Presidents think that they make MORE MONEY the way they are vs a Playoff ...
I can't imagine HOW that would happen.

Another option would be to take the 6 BCS conference champions and have just a six team playoff. The top two teams in the rankings would have a bye week.

Thats what Im saying about the "Championship Week" schedule. Look at the time from the last reg. season game until the BCS Title game. All that layoff cant be good for either team playing in the title game. I dont know what I do, starting a playoff or whatever. That seems impossible considering all the talk about it over the years, yet all that seemed to happen was them adding another Bowl game with a lot of money attached to it. Thats why you might as well add another game or two the regular season. Whats the difference? Everybody knows that College Football brings in a lot of cash. Might as well make money off of it. And as long as the games are good and people have fun at the games, there should be a big deal.

Another option would be to take the 6 BCS conference champions and have just a six team playoff. The top two teams in the rankings would have a bye week.

Or, do that and add 2 At Large teams and make it 8 teams, much like the current BCS Bowl games.

Right now they come up with 8 teams in the BSC games, just make them the 8 teams in a playoff.

END the season by the 1st of December.
Start the playoff the next week, this way theres no long lay off for teams involved.

You guys are starting to confuse the sh*t out of me. ;)
Jimbo is confusing me as well.

Ok, lets take this from the top.

You take the top 4 in the BCS rankings. You pit 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 (or another mix, but I think that is most fair). The winners of those two play for the championship. You end up with a mini playoff for the BCS title, which IMO settles most arguments with the system. It gives you a chance to win it in a playoff, and there is VERY RARELY a legitimate argument that one should be in THE game outside of the top four.

Everyone below the top four goes to the normal bowls as is, or based on whatever ties ins that are present at the time.

I'd rather take the computers out of it.

Of course you do... in years past that I've seen it seems to favor SEC cause of the conference teams it has but if you do computers only it would start at Midseason and up....you won't have this crap of someone getting over hyped by just who they thought was awesome or could be awesome. You do NOT have any poll #'s on any team till 4-5th game so no hyping and whatever but ya know that will never happen cause of tv ratings and everything..this money racket the BCS has hurts everyone cept their pockets.

Problem is, Bowl games are NOT already sold out.
MANY do NOT sell out.

So? if they don't sell out like many haven't in the past why would that matter? You may have a bigger turn out - you don't know till it's tested.

Using that, you would most likely leave out the current number 2 and number 3 teams in the nation. I just dont think going by conference champions is the way to go.

Harbin point system-top 32 teams with a 5 week playoff season. Works great in many state High School championships. Why not College? Every team is eligible regardless of conference championship status. If your conference sucks and your team couldn't compete against the #3 of another conference why get a playoff spot? Split the country in 4 geographical regions with same number of eligible colleges each. 8 top teams in each region make it to the post-season-season. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on in each region. 4 regions.

Of course you do... in years past that I've seen it seems to favor SEC cause of the conference teams it has but if you do computers only it would start at Midseason and up....you won't have this crap of someone getting over hyped by just who they thought was awesome or could be awesome. You do NOT have any poll #'s on any team till 4-5th game so no hyping and whatever but ya know that will never happen cause of tv ratings and everything..this money racket the BCS has hurts everyone cept their pockets.

So why go just computers? Go human voters, but just start the polls later if that is your concern.

Not a big college football guy but I dont see the playoff or the 1vs.4, 2 vs.3, or anything like that happening because why should weaker BCS conferences get to play for the national championship.

Heres an ex. and I'll try not to confuse you...hopefully. Take the Big East. Lets say Uconn was undefeated overall at the end of the year. Lets also say that LSU is undefeated in the SEC. Now logic would say that LSU vs. Uconn in the BCS Title Game. My point is how would you be able to compare the SEC with the Big East? Obviously, the SEC is a way stronger conference than the Big East yet wouldnt there be a chance that despite playing in a weak conference Uconn would play in the BCS title game because they are undefeated? They would probably have the same chance as let's say Texas or Oregon even though the Pac 12, SEC is stronger than the Big East.

Gotcha. I just cant see leaving someone out because a different team won a weaker conference.

The benefit is you get more of the country interested in the championship. I also still think that if you can't win your conference then you don't deserver to win the NC. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)