Forget the BCS "Playoff", here's what I would do with College Football

Harbin point system-top 32 teams with a 5 week playoff season. Works great in many state High School championships. Why not College? 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on in each region. 4 regions.

How many games would that add? Far too many with the current team schedules. If you cut that back, you end up taking home games, and money, away from schools that desperately need it for other sports to function.

32 or 16 teams in a playoff with a 12-13 game schedule is far too many for college IMO.

So why go just computers? Go human voters, but just start the polls later if that is your concern.

Regardless of what people think programmers could do, the computers can be designed and controlled by an outside source to ensure everything is done fair..right now voters change minds, have mixed feelings etc etc...computers won't do this - speaking from an expert on them ;)

Regardless of what people think programmers could do, the computers can be designed and controlled by an outside source to ensure everything is done fair..right now voters change minds, have mixed feelings etc etc...computers won't do this - speaking from an expert on them ;)

What outside source?
I dont care who you get to do it, they are still people, and as such can be subject to the same factors that human voters can.

And personally, I want the human component in the mix. Things are rarely "black and white", but a computer wont know that.

It would add 5 weeks to the end of the season. Immediately after the last week of regular season the regional Q final games would go. Current last game of the season is first week in December. Only the Championship teams play a total of 20 [CORRECTION -- 17] games. Season would be over second week of Jan at the latest. And at the end of it all you have an undisputed champion.

BTW Harbin standings are tried and true. It works great! Play an easy schedule and you are out only because of the L2 and L3 points you give up by doing so.

Last edited:
Jimbo said:
The University Presidents think that they make MORE MONEY the way they are vs a Playoff ...
I can't imagine HOW that would happen.

Split personality??
You just countered yourself a few post later. LOL

What outside source?
I dont care who you get to do it, they are still people, and as such can be subject to the same factors that human voters can.

And personally, I want the human component in the mix. Things are rarely "black and white", but a computer wont know that.

again of course you do!! You can have to have some accountability at the end of the day for everyone but it's easier to spot an error on a computer than read someone's mind... so there ya have it.

Jimbo is confusing me as well.

Ok, lets take this from the top.

You take the top 4 in the BCS rankings. You pit 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 (or another mix, but I think that is most fair). The winners of those two play for the championship. You end up with a mini playoff for the BCS title, which IMO settles most arguments with the system. It gives you a chance to win it in a playoff, and there is VERY RARELY a legitimate argument that one should be in THE game outside of the top four.

Everyone below the top four goes to the normal bowls as is, or based on whatever ties ins that are present at the time.

Thats what I was trying to say, very poorly I might add ...
So in your scenario, are these played as Bowl games as the regular Bowl locations, or are they played and these games a week after all the original bowls are done ?

With human votes you have people like the fool in LA a few weeks ago voting Boise #1 because he felt they hadn't been beaten or challenged in years past. With the computers, you have a committee decide the criteria and let the computers stick to it.

Pros that go to supperbowl and were wildcards play 22

High schools that go to state championship play 15- 17 depending on the state.

It's not out of line

Pros is different. Thats what they are there for.

17 is too many for high school, and 20 is too many for college. The main point is school. Sports, with that format, would take too much time away from the learning process, and for those that play that many, the costs are high. Literal costs as well.

again of course you do!! You can have to have some accountability at the end of the day for everyone but it's easier to spot an error on a computer than read someone's mind... so there ya have it.

With human votes you have people like the fool in LA a few weeks ago voting Boise #1 because he felt they hadn't been beaten or challenged in years past. With the computers, you have a committee decide the criteria and let the computers stick to it.

I point back to a previous post with the wildly different ranking for the same teams with different computers and different programmers (not sure if this was after they throw out the best and worst of the computers). Dont have that with the human vote (the three human polls are fairly consistent). Seeing that, I would say that the human vote is less susceptible to vary than is the computer.

The benefit is you get more of the country interested in the championship. I also still think that if you can't win your conference then you don't deserver to win the NC. ;)

I disagree, So for example in the SEC, the team that wins the SEC, is the ONLY team eligible when 3 teams may be better than others out there ?

What Charper posted.

WIS = 0 16 25 0 0 0

SoMiss = 18 22 15 0 0 15

TEX = 16 0 21 15 13 21

Yeah, this is much better than human voters that can change their minds and allow emotion and what not enter the picture......
Look at those variations.

CORRECTION: I was under the impression that NCAA football teams played 15 regular season games. They play 12 regular season games. So the TOTAL number of games the two top team (playing for the Championship would play is 17! That is right in line with high schools and pros.

You'd have an awful lot of pissed off sec fans then.

It would work the same with other conferences as well down the road. Why reward a team that can not win their conference? You could add 2 wild card teams if needed to make people happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts