Former DTV HD subscribers please advise.

jmet

Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I have been a DTV subscriber for almost 10 years now, recently (about 4 months ago) I got an HDTV and got into the H10-250 lease. Since then like allot of people I have become an HD only TV watcher but due to DTV's lack of selection and hd-lite I have been looking at making the switch.

So far Dish has more HD channels and seems to be a little cheaper then DTV, so how about the quality of the HD programming and the talked about better quality HD picture?

I am trying to justify the cost of moving from DTV and spending $299.00 on the VIP622 and whatever costs ill have with DTV for leaving.

I suggest that you find someone in your area that has E* HD programming including the voom channels and look for yourself as part of your decision making process. Hopefully the TV you are looking at will be roughly comparable to yours and the viewing environment similar. A lot of what's on E* (particularly the voom channels) is also "HD-Lite" but to a lesser extent, at least "by the numbers".

I am an E* subscriber and I have never had D*, so I have a one-sided opinion. That's why my most honest advice to you would be for you to decide for yourself based on what you actually see rather than based on a lot of others' opinions. Good luck with your decision, and BTW - Welcome...!

I was also a D* sub for over 7 years before switching in February 2006. Content wise (not including Voom) they are pretty much the same but have a bit better picture quality on Dish. Voom is very specialized content that a lot of people don't seem to like.

I can honestly say there are only about 3 voom channels I ever watch. The rest are pretty much full of crap I would never watch or have time to watch. I wish they would bring GuyTV back!

I switched from D* to E* in early Jan. 06. Big difference in HD quality on channels like HDnet, HDnet movies, and Discovery HD (3 of my most watched channels). Going from HD Lite to full HD was like night and day, on my set, to my eyes. The HD Lite Vooms are also better PQ IMO than D* HD Lite channels. Obviously I couldnt compare identical channels in this case, as D* lacks Voom, but similar shows (Smart Travels for instance) on Equator HD look better than they did on D* on HDNet.

I never got to see GuyTV, but from what I hear, I too would love for it to come back! My voom watching is only centered around Equator, Rave, World Sport (worth the cost of the package for the Spanish soccer). I would agree that most dont like most Voom channels.

What about HBO & Showtime HD? ESPN HD?

Are you guys happy you made the change? Right now it is the quality and lack or programming and with DTV not being dedicated to improving either I am thinking of making the switch.

Dish also seems to be a little cheaper for what you get, even after taxes/fees and the like are taken into account.

Kirby Baker: You know if World Sport HD, ESPN or HDNET will carry any (hopefully all) World Cup soccer games in HD... also does World Sport HD ever broadcast any Italian Soccer games in HD... MAN I'D BE IN HEAVEN IF I COULD WATCH ITALIAN SOCCER IN HD!!!

jmet. I have both and will keep both for now... but D*HD is sadly lacking in PQ to E* HD , even the down rezzed V* pack are much sharper than anything D* HD offers at this time... I have 3 of the 4 possible Mpeg4 E*HD locals and they (being bitrate equivalant to the mpeg 2 D*HD channels) have better PQ... soon the Alb. Mpeg4 D* locals will come up on D* (will have to get a receiver to get but I am waiting to see if D* will come through for it's HD folk's... D* sub since 96) My .02 cents...

I just switched to Dish last week. I notice a difference in both HD and SD picture quality and am very impressed with Dish. I do like some of the Voom channels also. Another plus is getting rid of the slow, clunky HD-Tivo. the VIP622 still has some bugs to be worked out, but it's a refreshing change with the newer technology.

jmet said:
What about HBO & Showtime HD? ESPN HD?

Are you guys happy you made the change? Right now it is the quality and lack or programming and with DTV not being dedicated to improving either I am thinking of making the switch.

Dish also seems to be a little cheaper for what you get, even after taxes/fees and the like are taken into account.

ESPN is great on E*, and was pretty good on D*. I never compared the two really on this channel, because 720p channels were not down-rezzed.

HBO and Showtime I sometimes hop on for occasional viewing, but when I want that HD bang, I flip to cable for those channels (much higher bitrates, full rez). HBO and Sho on the 110 E* bird are bit starved I believe, but better on 148.

abricko said:
Kirby Baker: You know if World Sport HD, ESPN or HDNET will carry any (hopefully all) World Cup soccer games in HD... also does World Sport HD ever broadcast any Italian Soccer games in HD... MAN I'D BE IN HEAVEN IF I COULD WATCH ITALIAN SOCCER IN HD!!!

World cup games are all on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC. Havent seen any italian soccer on World Sport yet. I did request it, along with German Bundesliga, but who knows if those will ever appear. They do have UEFA matches though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)