HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ex-EchoStar exec files discrimination lawsuit
She alleges 'yelling fits' by CEO Ergen were demeaning

By John Accola, Rocky Mountain News
January 14, 2005

A highly paid executive who abruptly resigned a year ago from EchoStar Communications has filed a discrimination lawsuit alleging she was subjected to "violent yelling fits" from company founder Charlie Ergen.

Soraya Hesabi-Cartwright, a former executive vice president, faults EchoStar's management for standing passively on the sidelines while witnessing Ergen's alleged abusive behavior.

Her lawsuit, filed Monday in Denver federal court, describes EchoStar as a "boys club" that discriminated against her on the basis of sex and national origin.

The 44-year-old plaintiff, an Iranian-American who joined EchoStar in 1994, is seeking unspecified damages for emotional distress and mental anguish in addition to reinstatement and $4 million in lost stock options.

EchoStar spokesman Steve Caulk said the allegations are without merit and that "EchoStar will prevail at trial."

"EchoStar has always been a equal opportunity employer, and we are disappointed that Hesabi-Cartwright . . . has chosen to file a lawsuit," EchoStar said in a statement. "We cannot speculate on her motives for filing."

The Douglas County satellite-TV provider noted that Hesabi-Cartwright, who oversaw EchoStar's Dish Network subsidiary, was one of Colorado's highest-paid executives, with compensation in 2003 of more than $13.5 million.

Hesabi-Cartwright, of Lone Tree, could not be reached Thursday. Her attorney, Robert Truhlar, said he was "too busy" to discuss his client's current employment status and circumstances.

Her lawsuit cites a series of confrontations with Ergen, EchoStar's chairman and CEO, that escalated into personal and demeaning tirades in which she was berated in front of other senior executives.

The lawsuit describes a December 2003 incident in which Ergen "yelled and screamed" at Hesabi-Cartwright after one of his folksy "Charlie Chat Broadcast" TV appearances to Dish subscribers.

"This hostility escalated until it was unsafe and intolerable for Ms. Hesabi-Cartwright to continue her employment with EchoStar," the complaint stated.

In January 2004, Hesabi-Cartwright quietly left EchoStar without a company announcement.

At the time, trade publication Multichannel News noted that the senior executive was no longer listed with the other officers and senior managers on the company Web site.

"I would say that she will definitely be missed," an EchoStar spokesman told the publication.

"We wish her all the best in her future endeavors," the spokesman said.

you can tell that he can get mad. look at his face on some of the questions asked in charlie chat. just think what he is like behind closed doors.

December 2003... about the time the 811 was released... about the time TONS of complaints were aimed at E*... about the time E* was forced to stop using the 'HD Leader' claim...

What was the content of that Charlie Chat before the (alleged) yell session?

Your friend may be called to testify. Off the record, give him a jingle and see if he remembers any substance to the yell-fest.

gpflepsen said:
December 2003... about the time the 811 was released... about the time TONS of complaints were aimed at E*... about the time E* was forced to stop using the 'HD Leader' claim...

What was the content of that Charlie Chat before the (alleged) yell session?

yep, now they use "a leader in hd" for their phrase.

If she was in charge of customer service.. she probably deserved getting yelled at. Those CSR's have a higher turnover rate than McDonalds... and i'm not joking.

Actually, i know a number of people at dish who deserve to get screamed at.. the whole buisness is running poorly. From Customer service to customer retention to installation to retailers to sales partners.. it's a whole giant clusterf***.

I mean, you have sales partners who promise the world, and three different installation teams, RSP's, DNSC's, and retailers... all who work under different rules. I can't even go into payment structure, but let me say that's a clusterf*** as well.

Salesmen selling complicated equipment in simple terms to cash in.. customers don't know what they get 50% of the time until the tech arrives. God help you if you work in a no-local channel area. I feel your pain. Explaining local channel availability to customers is like explaining quantum physics to your dog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)