Fort Myers, FL: CBS affiliate WINK-TV removed from DISH

JayR

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2013
Florida
I'm surprised this wasn't posted earlier but this occurred on January 8, 2016 at 8:00pm ET.

From WINK News:

WINK-TV removed from DISH Network while contract negotiations continue

Southwest Florida’s CBS affiliate, WINK-TV, is currently in negotiations with DISH Network (DISH) for a new agreement that would allow DISH to resume carrying WINK-TV programming. Until an agreement is reached, DISH is unable to carry WINK-TV by law.

The prior agreement between WINK-TV and DISH expired several weeks ago and despite granting numerous extensions to DISH, little progress was made towards securing a new agreement. As a result, carriage was discontinued on January 8 at 8 p.m.

I see WINK back on DISH just before Super Bowl 50.

Reactions: Holysmoke
Time to get out the OTA antenna till it's back. Call DISH and tell them how upset you are it's gone, Wink Wink.... You'll get a discount.

Reactions: dare2be
I paid a premium to get one from a local retailer a week ago Sat., but was able to record the playoff game and other programming I would have missed while waiting for delivery from Dish. One thing to note. The channel shows up in the guide, but there is no programming info like there is for other OTA channels. Every time slot shows the same "channel removed" title, so you need to look up the time slots for the shows you want to record online or in the paper. That also means that every recording will have the same title, so you have to go by the date stamp from the program info screen to figure out what you are watching. There is also no option to record series. Not the most convenient solution, but at least you can record the shows you otherwise would miss. I thought I might have to do this for a few days, but it'd going on two weeks now with no sign of a resolution.

I'll give it to WINK, their website explanation seems quite truthful, they even explain it was they who finally pulled the station and why they did. I'm inclined to make an exception and say DISH may be more the culprit here.

We've moved our RV from a Tampa market RV park to a Ft Meyers market park, but because of the WINK dispute, I haven't changed our service address. We do get the Miami locals OTA here as well, but the signals are pretty weak and unstable.

To me the bottom line with these LIL disputes is that the channels are trying to suck as much money out of the satellite companies and customers for the same signal they provide OTA for free. That just doesn't seem right.

Reactions: sculchy
To me the bottom line with these LIL disputes is that the channels are trying to suck as much money out of the satellite companies and customers for the same signal they provide OTA for free. That just doesn't seem right.
Let's think about this..if satellite had no locals would they attract as many customers?

I paid a premium to get one from a local retailer a week ago Sat., but was able to record the playoff game and other programming I would have missed while waiting for delivery from Dish. One thing to note. The channel shows up in the guide, but there is no programming info like there is for other OTA channels. Every time slot shows the same "channel removed" title, so you need to look up the time slots for the shows you want to record online or in the paper. That also means that every recording will have the same title, so you have to go by the date stamp from the program info screen to figure out what you are watching. There is also no option to record series. Not the most convenient solution, but at least you can record the shows you otherwise would miss. I thought I might have to do this for a few days, but it'd going on two weeks now with no sign of a resolution.
And that's why I don't think Dish is "looking out for the customers interest". If they truly cared about the customer, they'd arrange to use PSIP data for those that can pull in an OTA station. No, you wouldn't get 7 days worth of guide, but even 2 hours (one of our stations does 3 days) is better than 0.

Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts