Fortec Classic vs. Fortec Ultra.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's a little late now, since I've already ordered my FTA system, but I've been looking at the differences between the Fortec Star Lifetime Classic receiver and the Fortec Star Ultra Blind Ultra Blind search receiver.

I originally chose the Classic because of it's blind search capability and it's spdif toslink ac3 bitstream output (for PBS audio) However, after looking at the Ultra it seems that it might have a faster blind search.

Does anyone have an opinion on which receiver is (would have been) the better choice?

I own a Lifetime Ultra and just installed a Classic, the Classic seems to have a lot better interface, I can wait a bit longer for the search :) Just my opinion ;)

Whew...I can wait too. I'll admit it. The Ultra originally was ten dollars cheaper, so I thought the Classic must be the better of the two. Won't find me teaching a business class will you? :) I wonder if the sensitivity is better for either of the two? In looking at the specs I really couldn't see any difference. Then again, I really don't know much about FTA receivers.

The Blind search feature on the CLASSIC can be controlled by the user as far as how fast or slow you want it to be.

Basically, the blind search process in the receiver uses an interval of frequency steps to check for signal. In the classic you can adjust how small or large the frequency step from 2 to 12 KHZ. The bigger the step the faster the scan. The lower the step, the more accurate the scan.

In the ULTRA, the step is fixed and can't be adjusted.

Overall, I like the CLASSIC and would recommend it as a user freindly receiver. See the screen shots and simple setup instructions here :)

123tim "I originally chose the Classic because of it's blind search capability and it's spdif toslink ac3 bitstream output (for PBS audio)". Are you sure it has it? I got audio on PBS-Montana only which is not AC3 anyway.
Can 123tim and Sadoun check about this and let me know? PLEASE!

Thanks,
Zozon

OK. I found it. "S/PDIF Optical Connector for AC3 audio pass-through".
How do you use this optical Connector? Connect what to what? Do I need some kind of optical cable? Were do I connect it into the TV.
Please could you help me with this? I love PBSs.

Thank you in advance,
Zozon

Zozon,
Pete seems to have the best option with the AC3 player. From the research that I've done this seems to be the cheapest way to go. I don't know much and don't even have my FTA system yet... It seems to be lost in a shipping black hole. :( I originally thought that an AC3 setup needed 6 speakers, but apparently not (from the link that PSB sent). Iceberg said that he also had a WAl-mart ac3 system. There is also an external usb sound card called an SoundBlaster Extigy USB . I had asked about AC3 audio a couple of weeks ago, and I just checked the thread. It really seems to have grown! Check out the link at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=110927&highlight=AC3 (I don't know if this is the proper way to link a thread)

Good Luck!
Tim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)