Fortec Dishes show higher elevation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patmos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
From this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=95170 I read The "Fortec dishes have been known to be up to 5 degrees off in dish elevation"
Does this mean the scale on the dish reads higher? or the inclinometer reading?. As the offset angle is known for each dish how can it be? Just telling that because up to now I have been pointing my dish by following the scale marking on the mount with no success.

I have both Fortec 90cm and Fortec 80cm dishes. The 80cm dish has an inaccurate elevation scale, by about 7 degrees on mine. The 90cm dish is "right on" on the elevation scale. Confirmed by an inclinometer.
:)

when i setup my 100cm fortec dish, i was suppose to be at 24 degrees on the elevation. if you look at the scale on the side of my dish, i'm at 34 degrees. really helps to have a little tv and the receiver out there to help get the signal!

I strongly agree about the TV and receiver out at the dish site. Not only the Fortecs, but other manufacturers as well, have inaccurate elevation scales. I think the amount of inaccuracy varies depending on the batch that your dish comes from. I have a Winegard 2076 thats off by more than 5 degrees, and other Winegard 2076s are dead accurate.

Now I have an inclinometer and I will check. My elevation should be 63.17. Offset is 22.62. My inclinometer reading should be 40.55. Where do you take this reading , front or back of dish? One person says front of dish I should minus the figure from 90. My inclinometer has 0 at both 12 and 6 oclock. I will place the flat surface like inthe photo on the dish (book here) Any help welcome.

Attachments

• CIMG4212.JPG
    CIMG4212.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
when i setup my 100cm fortec dish, i was suppose to be at 24 degrees on the elevation. if you look at the scale on the side of my dish, i'm at 34 degrees. really helps to have a little tv and the receiver out there to help get the signal!

I agree 100% with Shultz. My 100 cm Fortec Dish was calculated by SatHostia for my location with a Motor to be required for an Elevation setting of 22.7 degrees to hit my due South Satellite 97.0W, when in fact it had to be set for 32.7 degrees on the Fortec Dish Scale to get a proper picture.

The bird is tame now

Thank you all for help. Anole thank you. I've been able to point my dish to PAS 10. The problem with this dish is the poor mount. The bracket showing the scale is easily bent while sweeping in Azimuth. That was the biggest problem. I intend to change this with a Geosat type mount. On one sat My inclinometer reading showed 10 deg instead of 15. while going to PAS 10 the same logic is not respected. It showed 38deg(should have been 35.5as per first sat) instead of 40.5(calculated) and the scale on the mount read 65 in place of 63. so only two deg difference. I think this difference is not linear through the arc due to the poor mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)