Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Hi,

I managed to pick up a Fortec Lifetime Ultra from a local secondhand store for US$10.

I think it had been used to receive hacked pay TV because the channel list in memory was nothing but Dish Network channels and it was running "Al7bar" firmware.

Still, I cleared the memory and started scanning in Galaxy 19 and 3C. Everything was working fine.

I attempted to use the Fortec channel organizer software, from the Fortec website, to pull in and edit the channels database on my Windows XP computer, but it wasn't grabbing the channel names. I thought perhaps this was something to do with the hacked firmware, so I decided to load the official firmware (version 272) from the Fortec site. That's when my problems began.

The flash failed to work and I got "Knight Rider" lights on the front panel. There are many posts in other forums about these and how to fix them. All the fixes involve uploading a different firmware file, but the download links have long since expired. Either the websites have been closed down or the files deleted.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'd ideally like help to return it back to the original state or get access to a hacked firmware file that it will accept. (As far as I understand, these stopped working for pay TV in 2007, so please don't misinterpret my desire to get this box running as an attempt to hack pay TV.)

I've been waiting to buy the upcoming GeoSatPro Micro HD but picked up this Fortec box as my existing receiver doesn't have blind scan. I feel a little stupid for messing around with it and wish I'd just let it be!

Cheers,

Martyn

Last edited:
Updating that I managed to fix this. For anyone that finds themselves with a similar problem, the key turned out to be using a desktop PC with a serial port.

The USB to Serial adapter I was using with my laptop had enough connections to fool me into thinking it was good when in fact it wasn't up to the job.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts