Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
After owning my Winegard 76cm dish for a while I decided it's time for something with a little more gain, I'd commented in another thread at how the Fortec Star dishes sold by Sadoun may not be as solid as I'd liked, I felt I had to see for myself.

I ordered the Fortec Star 120cm (4') dish earlier this week, yesterday it arrived in a large, flat box via FedEx who took great care in shipping the dish to me.
The front and sides of the box had large red "Fragile" labels, just incase the FedEx guy didn't get the message the first five times.
I was surprised how quickly the dish arrived having only took 3 days to reach me from Sadoun (Our new sponsor)

The box was constructed of thick cardboard and sealed with thick staples with plastic straps for extra reinforcment.

Unpacking the dish I was pleasantly surprised at how it was wrapped, in addition to the cardboard there was a layer of bubble-wrap to protect the parabola from damage.

Inside the box there was another box of parts, nuts/bolts, LNB holder, U-bolts and the instruction sheet.
After taking the dish out of the box I lay it face down on the floor to check for true which I found to be exceptional - there was no warpage and no dents or scratches. The steel used for the reflector is 18 gauge and powder-coated for protection against the elements.

The rear brackets which hold the mount onto the reflector are constucted of a much heavier gauge steel which I found to be almost indestructible (As you'll see later).
Two cross-members bolt securely onto the rear of the reflector with a square section connecting the two together which is part of the mounting assembly, this adds rigidity to the reflector and provides a secure mount for the Az/El mount.

The mount itself is also constructed of the same heavy gauge steel as the cross-members and has the necessary markings for elevation as well as the holes for the provided U-bolts which hold the dish/mount onto a regular positioner or pole of up to 3 inches, in this case I used my trusty DMSI SG2100 which is rated for including, and up to a dish of this size.
My only caveat with the mount is the way the U-bolts slide into the mount holes - you'll need to physically separate the elevation/mount slightly to enable them to slide in, this was no bad thing as it demonstrated the sheer strength of the mount.
After noticing some people had problems with the elevation on some dishes not being able to adjust to a low angle I can safely say this mount will satisfy.
The range of adjustment on the mount is huge and I don't forsee anybody having a problem with low or high elevation settings whatsoever.

The pole mount on the dish can be affixed with the pole-stop pointing up or down as to give compatibility with practically every positioner system, in my case the SG2100s mount is pointing downward, it'll work perfectly with positioners with a mount that points up too, kudos to Fortec for that idea.

I took the Winegard off the SG2100 ready to be mounted onto another pole and lifted the Fortec into place, this isn't the lightest of dishes so I had to hold the dish up with one arm while I tightened the bolts with my other, the U-Bolts will fit masts of up to 3 inches in diameter and are constructed of hard steel and are more than adequate.

After making sure the dish was square to the positioner I assembled the LNB holder
Because the focal length of the dish is longer than a regular 76cm dish the holder has 2 lightweight steel support arms which bolt into place either side of the reflector and again at the end of the LNB arm, again - the bolts used are good quality and ensured a good fit for the whole assembly.
The LNB holder itself is by far the highest quality I've seen, it's made of very thick, moulded plastic which screws into the end of the arm, it also includes a 40mm to 23mm adapter which allows for use of an LNB with a narrow throat.

With everything in place and securely fastened I hooked the motor back up along with the LNB and swung my dish over to Galaxy10R. (The positioner was already set up from when I'd installed the Winegard so I didn't feel the need to adjust it just yet)
I thought the SG2100 may struggle with the weight of the Fortec 120cm however it seemed as fast as ever and didn't falter with the heavier load.

With my old dish the maximum I could get out of TheTube (G10R/11720/V/27692) is usually 32% Signal/100% quality (Fluctuating) on a good day, my neighbours trees slightly obscure my view of G10R especially when leaves are growing. When it starts raining I lose almost all of G10R.

Conclusion:

I anticipate no rainfade with this beauty.
Both the Invacom SNH-031 and the ASC321 LNBs were tested, both gave amazing results.
Without even tweaking the elevation or azimuth on the motor or dish I now have 75% Signal and a rock solid 100% Quality reading.
I'm pulling in transponders I thought were dead and can now receive feeds I wouldn't have even known about.
With proper alignment I know this dish will give me even higher figures - I never though I'd get anywhere near a 75% signal from TheTube.
The same goes for all the other satellites I can see, with a signal meter inline and using the SG2100s built-in manual east/west control, the meter would fly over past the maximum signal reading with every sat I hit.
Fantastic.

Overall I'm impressed, I honestly didn't expect the dish to be constructed as well as it is and I'm basically forced to eat my own words.

It may not be the cheapest dish you can buy, 90cm dishes are cheaper to ship however if you want something that'll pull in everything that's up there while still being smaller than a regular C-band dish, look no further.

For those wanting the ultimate in gain without having to find an unwieldy C-Band dish, the 120cm Fortec is perfect and in this case you certainly get what you pay for.
A larger dish such as this really is the way to go, combined with a decent LNB there's very little you'll miss and you'll definitely thank yourself for it.

Thanks to Sadoun Satellite Sales for supplying this fantastic dish for review.
http://www.sadoun.com

Attachments

• IMG_8573.jpg
    IMG_8573.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_8584.jpg
    IMG_8584.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_8589.jpg
    IMG_8589.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_8592.jpg
    IMG_8592.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_8604.jpg
    IMG_8604.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_8609.jpg
    IMG_8609.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,212
Nice work Cascade, looks like this dish will give you years of service. It looks amazing!

Cascade

Great review. Thanks. Enjoy your new dish and have fun DXing all these KU-band satellites.

I am impressed with your installation. Nice work. :)

BTW, the FORTEC 100cm dish is pretty much the same design and has the same mounting brackets. However, the 100CM steel is little thicker (16 gauge).

Q. Can you get any c-band with this dish?
A. Yes, see the 120cm C-Band thread. C – Band Gain @ 4.0 GHz - 32.78 dB
KU – Band Gain @12.5 GHz - 43.32 dB

Q. Was the dish shipped by FedEx? Ground or freight?
A. FedEx Ground.

Nice...biggest size I can find is 100cm....not sure if the 20cm will make a big difference.

As Sadoun mentioned in the 120cm dish/c-band thread ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=512092&postcount=99 ), I drove today from Bartlett, IL to Sadoun's HQ in Columbus, OH. I bought one dish for my self and I also picked up 2 extra dishes. IF anyone would like to get these, please get in touch with Sadoun. He marked up the price from $175 to $210, but no shipping will charged. The extra $35 is to cover for my gas (although maybe he should charge more since I was forced to spend 12 hours in the car with my pregnant wife ;) ).

I know few guys from Minnesotta mentioned they were interested. If some one will pick up both, I wouldn't mind driving up to Madison, WI maybe and meet half way.

I would have picked up few more dishes, but I have Rav4 and although 120-cm dish fits in the car, it was somewhat a tight fit and I couldn't fit more than 3 dishes.

c-band signals

Hey guys, there are definitely c-band birds that can be received during good weather days with a 1.2 meter dish. The weaker tp's will not come in but the medium to high power tp's will come in well if you do not encounter too much adjacent satellite interference.

I believe that most 1.2 meter dishes have a 3.5 degree beamwidth on c-band which means you will almost receive two satellites at once. This will be OK if the satellites do not share close tp frequencies.

G-10R c-band can be received with a 1.2 meter.

I am not sure if sadoun has the c-band lnbf's or not but I know that Eyeinthesky.net sells them for 69.00 plus shipping. They come with an adjustable scalar ring and high quality plastic mounting clamp.

Good luck with your new dish, your install looks great. As soon as I get my new digital camera I will post pics of my install.
I am running two 75 cm patriots dishes with sg-2100 motors fitted with dbs lnbf's for audio on echo and nimiq's 4x1 diseqc switches (one has a bad port),
a coship 2300B and pansat 2500 A.

Also have a fixed position 1.8 meter fiberglass prodelin dish (manufactured by tripoint global) commercial antenna tx/rx fitted with two astrotel 20 degree lnbf's .

Center "boresight" pointed at G-10R@123W and another lnbf looking at the edge of the dish getting satmex5 c-band. It looks like a giant dish 500(LOL)
That's what my neighbor thinks it is :D

I always hear "Wouldn't it be easier to get cable?" What a dirty word (the "C" word. Besides we have a great hobby. Thanks for the sharing of all the knowledge and respect to the forum members. This forum is by far the cleanest, most respectable, and informative forum I have ever participated.
I want to thank all of you from the moderators and all the users who made my hobby so much more enjoyable. Keep up the good work. Trucker :)

I have one of Sadoun's Fortec Johnsa 1.2 meter dishes. I am using it for receiving some South American feeds that just barely make it here. The way you get the U Bolts installed is to put them in one hole up through the inside of the mount and back out the other hole. I had to use a bigger bolt and I used one from a muffler clamp. So far the dish looks great. The only down side is that the dish must be aimed carefully as the beam is much tighter then a smaller dish. Jamal Sadoun has a good product.

Tom Taylor said:
The way you get the U Bolts installed is to put them in one hole up through the inside of the mount and back out the other hole.

I found that one out a few days too late :)
It is a very good dish though, I'm picking up some Americas stations I never knew existed.

Cascade - Any Chance of an Updated Review???

Cascade:

A little over a month ago, you had advised that you would update your review once your C Band LNB arrived. I know that I am awaiting your thoughts and comments vis-a-vis using the C Band LNB on your "new" dish. I bet many others would appreciate your update also.

If you can find the time over the weekend or sometime in the near future, please advise. I am in the process of playing. Ordered new KuBand LNB (Invacom Quad) from PSB, and would like to consider changing out dish and possibly my SG2100 (if necessary).

Best regards, and no disrespect intended,

greyskies in sunny (rained earlier today) South Florida

If the scalar-cone arrives tomorrow I'll get that assembled and post results.
I haven't updated this in a while due to the lack of a real offset LNB such as rayydio just bought.
I haven't posted in the review thread as I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that this is a perfect replacement for a decicated Cband dish and I wanted to wait til I could find a real offset Cband LNB. After my positioner died I had to fork out for another and the c-band project went on the back boiler (Reviews are costly.)
The thread in the main section is where I've been posting results with different LNB configs etc.

If the cone-scalar from Alec performs as well as we all hope I'll update the thread to include Cband, if it doesn't I'll have to save up for the same cone rayydio purchased.

Either way I haven't fogotten about this thread, it won't be this weekend (forum housekeeping) it'll most likely be sometime next week.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you are able to pull these weak signals from South America. What Satellite are you aiming it at, if you don't mind me asking?

Here is a picture of how the U-Bolts should be installed:

Status
Please reply by conversation.