Fortec Ultra Software upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adwan001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Hi Guys,
Sorry if this is a repeated topic. I searched for relevant info but couldn't find any on our site. Anyways, is it worth upgrading the firmware on my Fortec Ultra? Has anyone done it and if so, what bugs did it fix, or improvements did it add, if any? Mine came with Firmware dated Feb 05 and the new version on Fortec site is dated May 05.

I am just wondering if you think it's worth voiding the warranty/messing things up a nd starting from scratch again....

Thanks

For any receiver in general, I would let the warranty run out first. No need to void that if there's nothing wrong with the firmware you have (if it ain't broke don't fix it :D )

Since I'm not familiar with the Fortecs, though, maybe someone will chime in with an alternate recommendation.

I agree if its not broke.....but I do not think updating the legal software effects your warranty.

I think the upgrade on the Fortec ultra was that before it would not name the satellite you were motoring to, after the upgrade it wold say like "Moving to IA-5"

Not worth it

I guess the consensus is that it's not worth the hassle. I think the date difference between the two latest Fortec updates is only 3 months. So, I don't think they had reinvented the wheel in those three months.

I agree that if it's working then leave it alone. Other than a few spontaneous turn-offs every now and then, my receiver has been pretty stable. Of course, I wish the next big upgrade would include some features like those available on the Dishnetwork receiver that I had, which enables you to add a channel to your favourtie list instantly.

I know what people are going to say: It's FTA, what do you expect? Oh well. Just checked the Fortec website and they do say--in red--that installing software updates by other than Fortec certified professional voids the warranty. I think I learned that from Sadoun's website too.
Thanks

I don't think they make a distinction as to which software voids the warranty. In the second paragraph they warn against non-factory software.
Here is te exact text:
Warning: To avoid invalidating your warranty, contact your dealer to have a Fortec Star
trained technician upload software to your receiver. Only a Fortec Star trained technician is authorized to upgrade software. Should a receiver be returned for repair under warranty which has had software loaded or upgraded by anyone other than an authorized Fortec Star technician, the warranty will be null and void and the receiver will be retuned freight collect to the sender in the same condition it was received.

Only the original software and the upgrade software available on this Web site can be used with your Fortec Star receiver. Under no circumstances, can any other software be used with a Fortec Star receiver.

but if they say only a Fortec tech can do it, why would they post it on their site?

You have nothing to worry about. I loaded newer software on one of my receivers and then had to warranty it. No issues. They fixed it

Satellite AV is the warranty repair center for Fortec Star in the US and Mexico. We would like to clarify the facts.

Upgrading the firmware to a newer factory firmware version will void the factory warranty unless the factory upgrade has been performed by a technician authorized by Fortec Star. Installation of 3rd party firmware by any party voids the factory warranty.

Since the introduction of the Ultra many new features have evolved in the firmware versions. Some releases were revolutionary (I.E. Blind Scan Parameters)and other changes were almost unnoticed by the average owner (memory management). I certainly wouldn't still be enjoying my Ultra as much as I do if it was still using the original firmware from two and a half years ago!

SatelliteAV,

Since Fortec doesn't provide info about their new firmware and what it fixes/changes, would you be able to provide documentation pertaining to each Fortec reciever and what each upgrade changes?

It would be great to add a sticky to this forum with this info.

Thanks to your suggestion all future Fortec Star Firmware upgrades will be posted with version notes. Great Suggestion!

SatelliteAV said:
Thanks to your suggestion all future Fortec Star Firmware upgrades will be posted with version notes. Great Suggestion!

Thanks for looking into this, Brian. Does this mean that you'll post version notes here in the forum for each firmware upgrade, or that Fortec will now include a version note document zipped with each firmware upgrade file?

I know that a few of us are eagerly awaiting a fix for the Mercury II's power scan which, even in its most detailed mode, is missing some known constant DVB-S signals, so hopefully they will be able to come up with a firmware revision that fixes the problem. Sadoun was kind enough to forward the issue and thread regarding the problem to Fortec, so we'll see. As it sounds like your company works a with Fortec receivers, I'm curious as to whether or not you've heard about any issues with the Mercury II's power scan.

Sorry about my late reply to your questions. I didn't notice that this thread had a new post.

All current firmware releases now have release notes. Release notes for past firmware will not be available.

I am aware of the Power Scan discrepency reports and had also been communicating with Fortec regarding the situation. Based on tests performed at our facility, I would suggest that there is not a major issue with the feature as you suggest. There are many variables that can affect the information obtained during a Power Scan (Blind Scan). We will address the Power Scan issue in another thread and will ask the Mods to link to that thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts