Found a 12 foot dish

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
A guy down the road has a 12 ft c band dish probably 30 years old. It is an echostar model. At first I was thinking it was a 10 footer, but using my wingspan which is about 70 inches I stood stretched out and barely was able to touch the side and then the center of dish. I had no tape meaaure on me. Lol. Anyhow it would be between 11.5 to 12 foot so I am amusing it is a 12 as I have never heard of an 11.5 ft dish. I have a 6.5 x8 trailer and figure it would take 3 men to pick it up. So I have some questions for you guys to see if it is worth it for me to get.

1. There is a small tear on the side, maybe a 3 inch hole but It looks like it could be repaired or put back in place.
Would this hurt?

2. Whats the chances an lnb that old would still work?

3. Whats the chances the actuator would work even with brand new cable?

4. Is an old 12 footer really much better than a 10? Like what can a 12 get that others cant?

What do you guys think? I should have got pictures.

Did you get it yet? Don't let that get away from you.
1. Mesh tear? easy fix
2. The LNB probably does work but they make better ones today.
3. The actuator I'm using is from the 80's I'm sure. It had an optical sensor on it. Probably better than anything from China will ever be.
4. Yes indeed. Go for those hard to get 16APSK and 32APSK feeds. :)

Well as for wild feeds are they still booming on c band or is it just mostly the 24/7 stuff. I am only interested in wild feeds and wild feed sports,news,and tv shows being sent to the station unscrambled. If they are all on ku only and not much on c band I dont need it.

Most of what I watch is C-Band. And there are still lots of "wild feeds" on C-Band. But I keep a well tuned Ku dish running as well. And a 12 footer, wish I had one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)