Found free a dish and want to learn

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

homebrew82

Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
NW USA
I picked up a free dish via craigslist
Winegard 7.5' mesh
mount
pole
actuator
Chapparal Feedhorn (?)
Novsat Gold C-Band LNB (the label showing the model number was worn off. I do see 710-0285)
Novsat 6600 Series Ku-Bane LNB (GM6921)
Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus
zip code 98466 I understant that I need to angle the mount assy at 35.7 degrees when pointed true south (I understand my declination is +18.1 degrees from magnetic)

I'm suspecting the former owner disassembled the dish solo as the 4 support arms were bent and slightly twisted at the ends. I straightened the arms as best I could. I spent a bit of time aligning the scalar ring such that it is parallel to the dish. How do I center the scalar ring - loosen the bolts attaching the ring and twist the ring or loosen the bolts to the dish and adjust the slots?

This has become my science experiment

Do I have sufficient equipment to determine to make it work? I see the servo on the Feedhorn, but do not see the way to control it.. or even be able to look inside the feedhorn and understand if it is currently set to horizontal or vertical (I'm assuming to limit my scans and not waste time).

I've seen multiple directions on how to install the feedhorn assembly; point the arrow (on the servo) straight up (the servo does not have an arrow, but picture lead me to believe the arrow id following the long edge of the container looking at the back); cut out a template, place on the side of the servo, and point the arrow straight up (which woud cant the feedhorn about 45 degrees to the right when facing from the front of the dish).

Since I do not know the specs for the LNB, I hope to get some guidance as the PVR is asking questions I cannot answer:
Satellite: (I suspect I need to target 123W Galaxy12)
Frequency: (nnnnn M nnn[n] [H|V])
LNB Power: (On | Off)
LNB Frequency: (n/n)
DISEqC SW:
Positioner Setting: (None | DiSEqC 1.2 | USALL)

I have the post and mount temporarily installed, plumbed, pointed true south, and secure. I'm not chasing concrete yet. Is there a way to simply point the dish alone (on the ground, leaning against a stable bin)?

For starts, I'd like to find any signal to prove the quipment functions. I'll certainly want to see it much further. Should I cable in the C-band or Ku-band LNB? I will bring the PVR and TV near the dish.

Picture will follow, I'm certain you want to see the feedhorn and LNBs

Thank you for your time

Good.

First you get a compass and find that spot on your property that has the longest view of the arc (the Clarke Belt) east to west. Basically you stand at the candidate position, look south, then in the sky, halfway between straight up and the horizon at due south will be about where the center of the arc is for your position. Then look to the east and west for the most sky. If it's a choice between getting most of the sky west or east, probably pick east.There isn't too much west of NW USA right now. The major satellites are east.

Really, leaning the dish against a wall won't work too well. People have rigged up temporary mounts, but the pole has to be plumb and pretty strong, Probably you could make a temporary brace with some 2 x 4s and sandbags.

Once you have your dish in place with your pole holding plumb, and we see the photos, we'll help you out.

:welcome to satelliteguys :)

probably the most active place for fta & c banders ;)

I know you'll enjoy this hobby ... i probably tinker with my dish more than i watch tv ( well except during College football season) ;)

The Visionsat was reportedly a good fta receiver, but I don't think it has the ability to control the feedhorn servo. Since I have multiple systems running here I find it easier to use the older, analog satellite receivers to control the polarity motor, and on my stand-alone ku-systems - I let the fta receivers handle that by using 'lnbfs' instead of the older feedhorns. You can find c-band lnbfs, which control polarity with receiver voltage, and also c-ku combination lnbfs.
Generally you can line up the polarity motor (little blue box with an arrow, in most cases) with the north/south axis and be very close. But without polarity control you'll either be horiz or vertical, or somewhere in between! And it is possible to 'prop' the dish up on the ground but you'll have a hard time finding any signal that way, since most of them are now digital signals and very unforgiving when it comes to locking them. If your feedhorn is one with a moveable flange, you can loosen the bolt on the feedhorn body, and twist in the flange to change polarity. Be sure not to lose your focal distance marking if you do that-takes a little finesse but can be done.

maps.google.com zoom into your location, right click on your dish position, click "What's Here" look at the location text area on the page.
The attached picture may shed some light on the angles of the dish and polar mount when aimed at Zenith. (the highest point in its travel about the polar axis of the mount)
To familiarize oneself with the theory of aiming there is some good reading here:
Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly
This has become my science experiment
Well, yes, but don't get too worried. I've simplified much of the necessities into this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=54264&d=1280779730 (Thanks hwn for making it a single file)
As to the feedhorn/lnb assembly. There's not many FTA receivers that will operate it. If you look down the feeds throat, with the servo on the back of the feed at about the 1:30 position, the little 'hook'(actually called the probe) whould be orientated either vertical or horizontal. Now since the receiver can't operate it, mark the outside of the feed as to indicate it's position. The feed throat can be rotated in the scalar (the part with the grooved surface towards the dish) to place the probe vertical or horizontal.
Then there's the little problem of the LNB's wanting a constant 18 to 24Vdc to operate correctly. FTA receivers are set up to run an LNBF (Unitized LNB and feed assembly). The receiver supplies 18V to tell the LNBF to select the horizontal probe, and 13Vdc to select the vertical probe. (There are two probes in an LNBF, while a Feedorn with bolt on LNB(s) have only one probe. The single probe is mechanically rotated by the servo (little blue box at the rear of the feed horn) This necessitates selecting, programming, Horizontal polarity on the FTA receiver even if the feeedhorn is rotated to place the probe vertical (to get a vertical transponder) There are 'add on' accessories that will take the 13-18Vdc from the receiver and operate the servo correctly, (In this case the servo is orientated to about the 10:30-11:00 position when standing in front of the dish)
In my view, it's much easier and convenient to switch out the old style feed horn/LNB assembly with a new LNBF. I finally did this a few years ago, and never looked back. Single band (C band) and dual band (C and Ku) models are available.
Welcome to the forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)