Found old abandoned dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
I came across an old abandoned 8 (maybe 10?) foot mesh dish from a family friend that heard I was looking for one. This dish has been passed on from one home owner to the next over the years, never used except for the original home owner in the early 1990’s. The dish is free; all I have to do is get it off the property.

My main concern right now is to get it moved; I will worry about set up on my property later on when the ground thaws a little more.

I suppose the Gardiner feed horn and motor are inoperable due to several years of neglect, but how does the rest of it look?

Can I dis-assemble the 4 mounting bolts where they join on the 4 dual ribs and gently lower the dish with people power?

What is the weight of the dish itself?

attached pics.

Thanks,

Pi314

Attachments

• HPIM2182.JPG
    HPIM2182.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 333
  • HPIM2183.JPG
    HPIM2183.JPG
    581.1 KB · Views: 305
  • HPIM2187.JPG
    HPIM2187.JPG
    674.2 KB · Views: 296
  • HPIM2189.JPG
    HPIM2189.JPG
    997.3 KB · Views: 269
  • HPIM2192.JPG
    HPIM2192.JPG
    606.9 KB · Views: 293
Can I dis-assemble the 4 mounting bolts where they join on the 4 dual ribs and gently lower the dish with people power?
That's how I do it. Swing the dish all the way to one side of course. I've done it alone, two people are better. 50- 60 Lbs is my guess.

looks like a Wineguard. have taken a few of these home.
needed full size pick up
2 to 4 people. 2 if strong and pick up is close by.
remove Actuator. it will swing down have other person hold it.
loosen from pole.free spinning
2 -3 people lift off and place in bed of truck. place Flags on edges, tie it down bring home.
persons 3 and 4 needed if long walk to truck
good luck.

Last edited:
That low to the ground, you shouldn't have any problems. :up

Use some PBS Blaster to loosen the bolts.
Or just apply lots of torque; they'll often break, if you can get a wrench on both nut & bolt head.
I've had good luck with an angle grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel.
A SawZall works too.
If you have all on hand, use whatever fits best. ;)

Figure out how to recover the pole.
It's just adequate length, so you can't cut it at ground level.
Getting a new one has been the subject of many threads; don't go there. :)

Wineguard uses a plain 3''id 3.5'' od sch 40 pipe
at about $6 a foot from most pipe warehouses
if you can get take it for free

ps. for the bolts heat them up if you can. even a small propane torch on it for a minute can save them.
good luck

The only time that you should ever move an assembled mesh dish is from the ground to the polar mount. Break the dish down before you move it or it will warp.
how many Wineguard's have you warped ?
mine are fine.
one was off the pole on the ground/patio when picked up.
and had been moved from another location to set there for over a year on the patio.

Heating bolts with a small propane is what I'm planning. The parabolic mesh with support framework is the prime target, however I can not help wonder if the motor actuator arm is salvageable after so many years of inactivity.

...I can not help wonder if the motor actuator arm is salvageable after so many years of inactivity.
Based on the stories I've read here on the forum over the years, I'd give you 85% odds, without any facts.
From what I can see in the picture, I would certainly attempt restoration!

One motivated member took a thoroughly rusted H-H, and brought it back to life!
By comparison, your actuator looks like a walk in the park. ;)

It would be my choice to move the dish all in one piece if that's practical (just don't tie it down to tight). It can always be disassembled and trued when it gets to its destination. That way the disassembly can be done carefully and there is no need to hurry. I would rather fight with rusted fasteners at home than in the field (JMO).

(That dish is not made by Winegard, that is a 71/2 Perfect 10 dish.)

Could be a unimesh also but it is definitely a ten foot judging from the size of the dish in relation to the mount.

Last edited:
This dish is a Perfect 7.5 or 10. I just tore one down and your picture is identical. Disassembled the four pedals loaded on a truck and set up on an existing pole in my back yard. I was lucky all the bolts, nuts were stainless steel. Good sturdy dish, actuator works good, today set up the polar degrees and declination, had video on KU still needs fine tuning. Brings back memories.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)