Found this cord cutting article

Even though there is some sub loss (even more than the numbers suggest because of population growth), there are still a lot of subs and they will still be able to raise prices to offset any losses.

Even though there is some sub loss (even more than the numbers suggest because of population growth), there are still a lot of subs and they will still be able to raise prices to offset any losses.
That's true. Continue to raise prices as you lose customers but don't change the way you do business.

I say year by year,they are going to lose significant numbers of customers.Eventually they will wise up,or close up.The mobile streaming is gaining more by the day.

Eventually the tipping point will be reached and it will become like the home phone where people start to ditch it like crazy. I think it is more like 5-10 years before it really start to accelerate to the point where 1/3 of the households do not have cable/DBS.

look at the chart
cable cutting-chart.png

1st q
DTV,Dish & phone co added 485,000
Cable lost 263,735
221,265 added to the base

for year
DTV,Dish & phone co added 1,479,000
Cable lost 1,559,459
only 80,459 lost to the base

mostly moving to other services

If ESPN and FOX sports ever offer their live sport events via streaming there will be many more cord cutters.Sports and lack of fast internet nationwide are the 2 biggest hurdles for streaming.

look at the chart
View attachment 88114

1st q
DTV,Dish & phone co added 485,000
Cable lost 263,735
221,265 added to the base

for year
DTV,Dish & phone co added 1,479,000
Cable lost 1,559,459
only 80,459 lost to the base

mostly moving to other services

You're not taking into account the number of new households that are created every year. Yes, the numbers for pay-tv subscriptions continue to hold up, the overall percentage of households with pay-tv subscriptions is going down. While I don't remember the article, I do remember that it said that the percentage dropped from over 87% a few years ago to over 84% in 2012. I think that this is the number the pay-tv providers should be looking at, since I think it will only go down. I also think that this trend is the real reason why the ota networks are threatening to become pay-tv channels and not because of Aereo.

Last edited:
If ESPN and FOX sports ever offer their live sport events via streaming there will be many more cord cutters.Sports and lack of fast internet nationwide are the 2 biggest hurdles for streaming.

All of the major professional sports leagues in this country have internet packages. You would just have to watch your home market team on delay.

All of the major professional sports leagues in this country have internet packages. You would just have to watch your home market team on delay.

True,but if there comes a day when subscribing to ESPN Fox sports or even NBC sports network via streaming,no cable or sat subscription required,the flood gates will open.

Look at what is available on the internet now compared to 10-15 years ago. People can easily get plenty of entertainment via the internet now whether it be games, television, radio, forums, news, etc.

While I don't remember the article, I do remember that it said that the percentage dropped from over 87% a few years ago to over 84% in 2012..
just the economy, would think it would be higher than 80,000 if i was just asked and not looked it up. so time will tell. if this economy here ever comes back.

True but the major reason folks cut the cord is the cost of pay TV and the lack of programming. MLB.TV costs about $130.00 a season, roughly $20.00 a month. Not bad, but I don't want to watch the Red Sox on delay. And he point of cutting the cord, for us, was economics as well as dissatisfaction with the value provided for the cost of the service.
When we cut the cord we were paying Dish $75.00 a month, Netflix &8.00, and Hulu + $5.00. Now we just pay Netflix and Hulu +, a savings of $61.00 a month, or over $700.00 a year. Guess it would be more now with the increases dish put in place this year.
I've said it before cord cutting isn't for everyone, depends on what you watch, how much you watch and what the OTA line up is in your area. I enjoy televised sports, but I only really miss baseball, but i can listen to games on the radio. I look at it like this growing up I had to listen to games on the radio since they weren't always broadcast, and we only had one TV anyway, I find my self getting things done around the house that otherwise would have been put aside since I'm not sitting in front of the TV! I really do miss cable news as well, do have a life time subscription to playon, but the live feed for CNN is not 100% reliable, but it is there. Fox used to have streaming news from 9-3 weekdays, but no more, you have to have a pay TV subscription to stream now...oh well.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk