Found this growing beside/ in a really big pine tree this evening.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KennyR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
W W WV
I was wondering if this is a good find and if so would be worth restoring and replacing my 10ft Un-imesh. It is a 10.5ft Raydx all aluminum including the mount and with all bolts stainless, the dish is deeper also. 20120627_195906.jpg20120627_195921.jpg20120627_195942.jpg20120627_200013.jpg

Waylew, I am using Two, I also have a 8ft Uni-mesh in service closer to the house.

This dish has a couple of things I don't like. The mesh appears too large for KU reception, so this would be C-Band only. It's an old ButtonHook which had a reputation for sagging over time and losing focus. If it does have a problem there you can attach wires to pull the LNBF into focus. Of course there are some panels to repair. Not sure why you want to replace the 8', but this Raydx will need some work to get it best possible performance. But then that's what i like about this hobby, working on the stuff. :)

The basic structure of the Raydx looks excellent. I would not hesitate to replace the panels with tighter mesh, if desired for Ku. Perhaps I should check my buttonhook to see if the 'hook' is off center...

Well,then,there's always 3 !:p

As far as what the others mentioned about the button hook,it would be fairly easy to make it into a quad leg while you're rebuilding.Some metal conduit,a hammer,a vice and a drill is pretty much all you would need.

Right. C only with that mesh. Solid. Mount looks good and strong.

But you know, I have often wondered what would happen if you got some aluminum or steel sheet metal and alternated the triangular dish sections, solid and mesh. I don't think it would hurt the C reception. With the mesh still there on half, the wind stability would pretty much be there. Maybe the half of the dish that had the solid panels could bring in the Ku stuff.

Just thinking out loud.

As far as the instability of the buttonhook is concerned, three equal length guy wires stretched from the lnb to the edge of the dish would stabilize it. All you would have to do is figure out a way to adjust them for length - maybe using a long 3/16 threaded screw on each guy wire

Last edited:
But you know, I have often wondered what would happen if you got some aluminum or steel sheet metal and alternated the triangular dish sections, solid and mesh. I don't think it would hurt the C reception. With the mesh still there on half, the wind stability would pretty much be there. Maybe the half of the dish that had the solid panels could bring in the Ku stuff.

Just thinking out loud.

Have often wondered the same thing, using some of that thin aluminum flashing.

Thanks everyone, Lone cloud _ I have some 24" alumn flashing, I may do a temp setup and try it.wish I had an extra bsc621 for testing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts