Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Exactly. Which is why I don't get so many people on this forum defending Dish.
It's a process. If the channels never come back Dish will adjust prices accordingly to match the perceived value of the new landscape. To not do so would be business suicide.

What I don't get is why so many just lie down and take the extortion. Until a true free market is in place where the customers pay for the channels individually on their own merits, this is where we are. More and longer channel disputes.

It's a process. If the channels never come back Dish will adjust prices accordingly to match the perceived value of the new landscape. To not do so would be business suicide.

What I don't get is why so many just lie down and take the extortion. Until a true free market is in place where the customers pay for the channels individually on their own merits, this is where we are. More and longer channel disputes.
It is a free market. people are free to stay or leave. Whining about it does nothing.

It's an oligopoly market and I'm not whining about it. It is what it is. The whiners are the ones that complain about channels being removed and don't leave. Then they whine that somehow people are defending Dish when they are just explaining the situation.

I saw this business model crashing and burning a long time ago.

According to this report, Fox offered to keep the channels on during negotiation, and Saint Dish refused.
It's an oligopoly market and I'm not whining about it. It is what it is. The whiners are the ones that complain about channels being removed and don't leave. Then they whine that somehow people are defending Dish when they are just explaining the situation.
It's not that simple, and you know it. Many of us are under contract and would have to pay a substantial sum to leave.

Look, we all have to weigh the pros and cons of different providers. I came back to Dish from DirecTV because the Hopper 3 is still the best DVR on the market by a good margin. PTAT is nice to have, folders are very handy, and the company is generally pretty easy to deal with when it comes to service and billing, which DirecTV is most assuredly not, in my experience. However, since I came back, the compression seems to have become more aggressive and channel disputes have taken away many channels that I watch on a regular basis. You can call it "whining" if you want, but these are the factors that I as a consumer have to weigh. I'm lucky enough to have many choices where I live.

One other thing, according to this report, Fox offered to keep the channels on the air during negotiations, and Saint Dish refused. It's one report from one guy, so who knows how valid it is, but it's a data point in any case.

It's not that simple, and you know it. Many of us are under contract and would have to pay a substantial sum to leave.
So you're making my point that it's not a free market. Contracts, forced bundling of subsidized channels, exclusivity agreements. You're right though, we all do what we have to do with the limited choices offered us.

I saw this business model crashing and burning a long time ago.
Sorry, wasn't referring to you.

According to this report, Fox offered to keep the channels on during negotiation, and Saint Dish refused.

Look, we all have to weigh the pros and cons of different providers. I came back to Dish from DirecTV because the Hopper 3 is still the best DVR on the market by a good margin. PTAT is nice to have, folders are very handy, and the company is generally pretty easy to deal with when it comes to service and billing, which DirecTV is most assuredly not, in my experience. However, since I came back, the compression seems to have become more aggressive and channel disputes have taken away many channels that I watch on a regular basis. You can call it "whining" if you want, but these are the factors that I as a consumer have to weigh. I'm lucky enough to have many choices where I live.

One other thing, according to this report, Fox offered to keep the channels on the air during negotiations, and Saint Dish refused. It's one report from one guy, so who knows how valid it is, but it's a data point in any case.

FOX is choosing to pull its channels from our customers, which we think is unfair. FOX is demanding a double-digit percentage rate increase for continued carriage of its local channels. FOX is also attempting to “force bundle” it’s local channels with unrelated cable networks to get more money, and gain negotiating leverage. At it’s May investor day, FOX executives promoted their plan to increase retransmission revenue by 62 percent, to $2.6 billion by 2022. --Trisha R.

Here's the issue I have with this headline:

Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers from Local Channels, Cable Networks
- Fox removes local channels in 17 markets across 23 states and D.C.
- Fox pulls cable networks including FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Deportes
- Fox rejects DISH offer to extend contract

Fox bad, Fox evil, Fox did this, Fox did that. Consumers don't care who did what or why. They have no incentive to give Dish a pass because supposedly they "care." They want their channels and they want them now.

Yeah for sure, one thing I've learned you can't believe the propaganda from either side. The rate increase may have been so high for Dish customers +62% because they were already heavily discounted. Does Dish ever pass these great saving on to the customers? Last time I had Dish it was a flat $12 a month fee for everyone with the flex package option.

It's like when the landlord doubles your extremely discounted $500 a month lease, just because the original lease was so cheap doesn't mean it must be increased in small increments throughout.

FOX is choosing to pull its channels from our customers

You are choosing not to agree to their terms and pass those costs along to the customer. Again, how is this the customer's problem? Customers don't care what you think is "fair" or unfair.

You are asking people to sympathize with a corporate conglomerate. That's not a winning strategy.

The Pac-12 is under contract to provide a certain number of games to both ESPN and FOX. They can't just take over all the TV rights because they feel like it.
Yes, but contracts expire and Pac12 just might look at a providers history, say FOX, and decide that they would rather just keep their property in their own house. ESPN and FOX need Pac 12 more than the other way around.

Reactions: pattykay

If the channel owners offer to keep the channels on during negotiations and therefore out of contract (and I wonder what strings are attached to such an offer), then those channels are still making them money, whereas, if the MVPD refuses to allow out-of-contract carriage, it hurts the channel owners revenue stream, and, it avoids any perception that the MVPD should owe the channel owners monies for carriage of the channels during the negotiations. There is little incentive for the MVPD to go along with such an offer, especially now that pretty much every MVPD is having regular disputes. They want to negotiate from the strongest possible position. Customer dissatisfaction is just part of the landscape now either due to carriage disputes or prices increases, so pick your poison.

Bundling is the problem. I don't usually buy bundles in other goods I buy like groceries, furniture, hardware, software, etc. I Know the price of each item I will buy and chose the ones I want at the price I can afford. Each channel should have a separate price and I will chose the ones I want. The argument that bundles are cheaper is erroneous. If each channel in the bundle had a bundle price of $1 and I must take 40 channels for a cost of $40,it is not a good deal if the individual channel cost is $5 and I only want 2 of them for total cost of $10. The channel cost would have to exceed $20 to make the bundle a good deal for me. I would then decide if that is a fair price for me. Most Likely I would decline. Streaming is becoming more like regular shopping without massive bundles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)