Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

Has anyone tried to ask DISH for compensation for last channels? Pretty much said free showtime, etc, no cash. Didnt even offer to refund my local fee for FOX (KTVU). Were you offered anything?

I killed the Regional Sports pack with BTN. My National Sports pack is missing FS1, so I chatted them and asked what’s the replacement for it. They gave me a $5 credit. That’s fine by me since I’m missing only one channel now.

Reactions: pattykay
Had a long chat with an older lady tonight. She was ok with loosing HBO, and fox sports, but loosing the local fox was the straw that broke the camels back.

Switched her to Comcast. KA-CHING!

Sorry Charlie :)

I'm beginning to appreciate your angle... Sounds like we agree on the "Vote with wallet" principle.

No effect for me as FOX News is not affected. I get the local in Tampa OTA. It should not be allowed to group locals with cable channels in a contact unless FOX wants to give up all rights to must carry for those local channels. I'm betting DISH has no desire to pay much for FS channels maybe except the Big 10. I wish DISH would petition the FCC to see if they can get locals to not be associated with and held hostage with cable channels.

Appears I was on the right track.
Dish accuses Fox of ‘force bundling’ as channel blackout ensues

I will admit this blackout affects me more than any other as I’m a huge football fan. I was with DirecTV for years but got tired of their equipment, ATT billing practices and customer service so I switched within this past year.

When making the change I was well aware of the pros and cons of Dish, but they all have them. Dish has way better equipment, better price, but does have more frequent channel disputes (though DTV is catching up). DTV has slightly better PQ, fewer disputes, but higher prices and crummy equipment. I knew going in I’d likely have to endure a few disputes and I’m ultimately ok with that because I know that’s one of the reasons their prices are lower.

Now, that being said, if I reach the end of my contract term and these disputes have resulted in permanent outages for some channels then I’ll have to consider an alternative, but I’m more than prepared to wait out a few disputes and knew that going in.

Has anyone tried to ask DISH for compensation for last channels? Pretty much said free showtime, etc, no cash. Didnt even offer to refund my local fee for FOX (KTVU). Were you offered anything?

I called and asked for an OTA antenna install (like they mentioned in the press release). He said that's not available for my location but he could offer a $5 credit on next month's bill so I took that offer. Probably would have asked for Showtime if I knew that was available when I called though, to each his own

Force bundle what? There are only 6 fox owned channels. All but the big ten and fs2 is included in every single cable and satellite lineup across the country.

????? Force bundle locals with cable channels. Did you read the article? Doesn't matter how many locals though I thought it was closer to 15. Locals have very different rules than cable channels and DISH is correct they should not be allowed to be forced to take cable channels to get locals. I posted that before ever seeing this article.

????? Force bundle locals with cable channels. Did you read the article? Doesn't matter how many locals though I thought it was closer to 15. Locals have very different rules than cable channels and DISH is correct they should not be allowed to be forced to take cable channels to get locals. I posted that before ever seeing this article.
Look, every single dispute in the last year has affected a channel I watch, it is getting old. Every cable and satellite provider has no problem bundling all the fox owned channels, and there is really no reason dish cannot sign the same agreement.

Reactions: edisonprime
Look, every single dispute in the last year has affected a channel I watch, it is getting old. Every cable and satellite provider has no problem bundling all the fox owned channels, and there is really no reason dish cannot sign the same agreement.

That's exactly how we got to where we are with the cost of TV, just pay whatever they want for all their channels doesn't matter if no one watches a couple of them. And you are wrong, Directv in the past also had a problem with AMC as DISH did with their bundling packages and no doubt does often that I wouldn't know about. In fact you can bet much of the non local negotiations or disputes is more over bundling and streaming.

Force bundle what? There are only 6 fox owned channels. All but the big ten and fs2 is included in every single cable and satellite lineup across the country.
There are 17 owned and operated Fox network stations. Now you leverage that huge population of those 17 DMAs into forcing sports channels like FS1, FS2, BTN, and all the RSNs that they own into higher pricing, and maybe even put them on tiers that everyone, whether they like sports or not, has to pay for and that is bundling. If Fox wanted to play the game with just the sports channels that might be something to understand. But when you add in the OTA channels that is purely unfair leverage. This one really should go to court just to force them to allow Fox network back on the air.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 8.20.32 AM.png

There are 17 owned and operated Fox network stations. Now you leverage that huge population of those 17 DMAs into forcing sports channels like FS1, FS2, BTN, and all the RSNs that they own

They do not own any RSNs..

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
There are 17 owned and operated Fox network stations. Now you leverage that huge population of those 17 DMAs into forcing sports channels like FS1, FS2, BTN, and all the RSNs that they own into higher pricing, and maybe even put them on tiers that everyone, whether they like sports or not, has to pay for and that is bundling. If Fox wanted to play the game with just the sports channels that might be something to understand. But when you add in the OTA channels that is purely unfair leverage. This one really should go to court just to force them to allow Fox network back on the air.

View attachment 140825

Well said. I have even questioned companies that have acquired other company locals and now own many locals and how that fits in with the original intent of must carry and dealing with locals. But that aside DISH needs to take this further and see if they can make FOX separate locals from cable channels for negotiation. If cable channels are part of the whole package, does FOX skirt the rule about both sides must reasonably (for lack of the actual term) negotiate locals which does not exist for cable channels?

You don’t create highly produced TV ads on the fly.
I saw one last night with a guy calling out to his wife, "Honey....where is my [X]...." with the wife answering "Dish took it". The punchline was that, in the end, Dish took his wife! Objectively, it was a more professional and funny a commercial than any satellite ad since DirecTV had the pretty girl with the horse.

No doubt this was a war plan that was going to be implemented regardless of any "negotiations". It's a shot across everybody's bow.

View attachment 140825
To further that, and I agree I was wrong about the RSNs but all the others exist, with all the DMAs involved it includes 41,406,920 households which equals 37.558% of the total households in the United States. That's a significant chunk!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)