Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

I don't watch broadcast except for football and baseball. Here the Topeka Fox affiliate is still on Dish with other Fox properties removed. To see the big block ad on the screen blaming Dish, yadda, yadda, yadda, seemed a bit like closing the gate after the cows were out. If they're running that ad on the removed channels, which Dish subscribers are going to see it? Only the fact that our local affiliate is still carried on Dish is why I ever saw the blurb at all. :rolleyes:

I'm 6 months into a two year contract so switching makes no sense today. And to who? AT&T is no longer an option as I've noted in past posts. No cable nor FTH here. With our present Internet service streaming is a non-starter here at the moment so I'm not looking there. I signed up with Dish figuring that the landscape could change to where we may have better download speeds to consider streaming then.

As I see it, more customers are demanding a la carte and content providers are still demanding bundles. The two sides are drifting further apart with the providers caught in the middle. Being thought of by the content providers as nothing more than a spigot of cash for their next quarterly report has become quite the insult to many customers including myself. At this time I plan to ride out my contract and then I may just opt out of pay TV completely. To say any more would land me in the Pit...

Reactions: dare2be
Has Dish voluntarily given all customers effected a credit on their bill for any of these missing channels?

Without you calling in to complain and threat cancellation?

HBO does not count because it’s sold a la carte and they just don’t charge you for the package.

Has Dish NOT raised rates due to winning one of these disputes?

Do you pay your bill on time every month?

THEN WHY DO CERTAIN PEOPLE HERE CONTINUE TO STICK UP FOR DISH?

You guys keep blaming Fox for dropping these channels. Who cares who was at fault, the fact of the matter they are no longer on Dish.

It’s time to leave Dish and switch providers. Directv, Orby, Spectrum or Comcast. It doesn’t matter. Don’t come here and complain if your not going to do something about it.

For all we know, Charlie could have made the decision to pull the channels so he could look like the innocent victim.

I’m tired of the lies, the broken promises and the overall greed over there at Dish Network.

I’m glad I’m not associated with them anymore and not being involved in the middle of this mess.

I will admit this blackout affects me more than any other as I’m a huge football fan. I was with DirecTV for years but got tired of their equipment, ATT billing practices and customer service so I switched within this past year.

When making the change I was well aware of the pros and cons of Dish, but they all have them. Dish has way better equipment, better price, but does have more frequent channel disputes (though DTV is catching up). DTV has slightly better PQ, fewer disputes, but higher prices and crummy equipment. I knew going in I’d likely have to endure a few disputes and I’m ultimately ok with that because I know that’s one of the reasons their prices are lower.

Now, that being said, if I reach the end of my contract term and these disputes have resulted in permanent outages for some channels then I’ll have to consider an alternative, but I’m more than prepared to wait out a few disputes and knew that going in.
Finally, a level-headed, thoughtful post.

You guys keep blaming Fox for dropping these channels. Who cares who was at fault, the fact of the matter they are no longer on Dish.

It’s time to leave Dish and switch providers. Directv, Orby, Spectrum or Comcast. It doesn’t matter. Don’t come here and complain if your not going to do something about it.

I’m tired of the lies, the broken promises and the overall greed over there at Dish Network.

I’m glad I’m not associated with them anymore and not being involved in the middle of this mess.

Why are you trolling, Claude? You have a dog in the hunt and a grudge against Dish. You can stop trolling now. It's getting beyond annoying...

Yah, I've had enough, gone on vacation mode for $5/month, will cancel shortly if things aren't resolved. Will then cut the cord completely or go to DirecTV. Say what you will about their Genie or whatever its called, but they don't have these long ongoing feuds with channels that I actually care to watch.

Used a friend's credentials to log into the FOX NOW app on my Roku, so I have my FS1 back. It pays to have a friend with a different provider.
I did the same to watch a game last night on FS1. Every time it came back from commercial the Roku reset back to the main Roku menu. What a pain that was.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yah, I've had enough, gone on vacation mode for $5/month, will cancel shortly if things aren't resolved. Will then cut the cord completely or go to DirecTV. Say what you will about their Genie or whatever its called, but they don't have these long ongoing feuds with channels that I actually care to watch.

That’s actually the best idea I have seen. Stop paying them money during a dispute.

However, you are perfectly fine with the tactics and greed over at Fox?

I'm not absolving Dish completely, either, but Fox isn't innocent in this mess either.

Why is Dish always the victim?

Does Fox not have a right to price increases?

After all Dish increases your bill every year, why can’t Fox Increase their bill to Dish?

Reactions: aaronc

Ha. DirectTV cut off Austin's NBC station in a dispute with Nexstar. They're likely going to cut off the CBS station in a dispute with Sinclair. No provider seems immune except maybe Google. Even the IPTV multichannel providers favored by cord-cutters have had disputes.

Ha. DirectTV cut off Austin's NBC station in a dispute with Nexstar. They're likely going to cut off the CBS station in a dispute with Sinclair. No provider seems immune except maybe Google. Even the IPTV multichannel providers favored by cord-cutters have had disputes.
KEYE/CBS is still on in Austin. Now is this due to an extension or settlement don't know, but it's still on.

A double-digit % increase? Seriously? And you think that's ok by Fox to demand that? :facepalm
As mentioned in prior posts, if it’s double digits like 12% over 4 years that’s not that bad. The problem is both companies spin the PR to make the other side the villain without anyway for the customer to know the truth.

Has anyone tried to ask DISH for compensation for last channels? Pretty much said free showtime, etc, no cash. Didnt even offer to refund my local fee for FOX (KTVU). Were you offered anything?
If you think about it, these channels probably cost ~$1-$1.50/month. Let's even say $2 just to really hike it up. $2/30 days = $0.066/day. The Fox channels have been off for 48 hours? Let's say it takes 10 days to settle... that's $0.60/channel. And we're at what 4 channels (if you include the local)? So your compensation should be $2.40?

Reactions: pattykay
I don't watch broadcast except for football and baseball. Here the Topeka Fox affiliate is still on Dish with other Fox properties removed. To see the big block ad on the screen blaming Dish, yadda, yadda, yadda, seemed a bit like closing the gate after the cows were out. If they're running that ad on the removed channels, which Dish subscribers are going to see it? Only the fact that our local affiliate is still carried on Dish is why I ever saw the blurb at all. :rolleyes:

I'm 6 months into a two year contract so switching makes no sense today. And to who? AT&T is no longer an option as I've noted in past posts. No cable nor FTH here. With our present Internet service streaming is a non-starter here at the moment so I'm not looking there. I signed up with Dish figuring that the landscape could change to where we may have better download speeds to consider streaming then.

As I see it, more customers are demanding a la carte and content providers are still demanding bundles. The two sides are drifting further apart with the providers caught in the middle. Being thought of by the content providers as nothing more than a spigot of cash for their next quarterly report has become quite the insult to many customers including myself. At this time I plan to ride out my contract and then I may just opt out of pay TV completely. To say any more would land me in the Pit...

One option I would recommend is a grey market Canadian DBS subscription.

The only caveat is you have to be in the sat footprint.

BellTV is pretty good, it is almost identical to DISH (receiver, EPG, remote, etc.)

Benefits of a BellTV sub:

USA/CAN exchange rate is pretty good right now (has been for a while) = cheaper price per month $USD

NEVER have seen a programming dispute (in last 20+ years anyway)

You will get "time shifting" included (east/west feeds, like in the C-band days when you would automatically get USA Network East and West feeds with your sub)

You will get MANY NFL games every Sunday (almost like having NFL Sunday Ticket)

If you want the major league / college sports packages, they have them too. In the USA NFL Sunday Ticket is $300/year. On BellTV you can get it for US $150/year.

It's good to have options when these disputes in the USA occur...

If you think about it, these channels probably cost ~$1-$1.50/month. Let's even say $2 just to really hike it up. $2/30 days = $0.066/day. The Fox channels have been off for 48 hours? Let's say it takes 10 days to settle... that's $0.60/channel. And we're at what 4 channels (if you include the local)? So your compensation should be $2.40?

More than that, plus I pay for four local channels and one is gone (25%). Plus O&O second local channel off, plus FS1, FS2, WWOR (which I pay $2 a month for) Big10 channels (multiple). Besides, not fair to deduct $3 a month, as these are key channels for me (I probably spend at least 20% of my viewing on them (as I am a sports fan). PLUS we are doing this during NCAA football, NFL and baseball playoffs. I would not take a $25 discount on my bill if I had the opportunity to permanently. (Not even talking about all the sports channels gone from the SPorts package). I was offered free SHO. Never watch!

This is really affecting me. First I lost my ability to watch my Cleveland Indians when Dish lost Fox Sports Ohio. I also lost the ability to watch the Cincinnati Reds when Dish lost Fox Sports Cincinnati. Now it looks like I will lose the ability to watch my OSU Buckeyes now that Dish has lost the Big 10 network.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You will not have to worry too much about missing a Buckeyes game on BTN...

Because OSU is so successful and popular many games are on bigger networks (for example tonights game OSU @ Neb is on OTA ABC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts