FOX Detroit HD - Need a third dish?

fz5j2r

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 27, 2003
I was so excited when they announced we were getting FOX Detroit in HD. However, I cannot find the channel (380) on my guide.

So I checked the "uplink report" and if I read it correctly it says FOX Detroit HD (380) is on 129W.

I have a Dish 500 which gets me 110 & 119. I have a second dish pointed at 61.5.

Does this mean I need another dish to get 129 or am I missing something?

I was so excited when they announced we were getting FOX Detroit in HD. However, I cannot find the channel (380) on my guide.

So I checked the "uplink report" and if I read it correctly it says FOX Detroit HD (380) is on 129W.

I have a Dish 500 which gets me 110 & 119. I have a second dish pointed at 61.5.

Does this mean I need another dish to get 129 or am I missing something?

Actually, Dish has a special dish required to get the most out of HD in Detroit. What you want is a Dish 1000+ that receives 110, 118, 119, and 129. The "+" is very important, it is required to receive the 118 satellite location and the Detroit HD locals that go along with it.

In my situation, we live in the Grand Rapids DMA. I would dearly love to receive locals in HD. Currently I use a set of rabbit ears which works fine except CBS is out of range for us. We used to have CBS New York in HD which was great until the distant network fiasco.

I asked Dish about receiving Detroit HD locals but they said no.

At some point the GR DMA (#36) will get the HD locals. Thinking out loud, if they also end up on 118 it makes the most sense to buy the 1000+. That way we can get FSN Detroit in HD now and the GR locals in HD if and when they end up on 118.

There are no other possible satellites they could put the GR locals on are there?

why would you buy a new dish for the possibility that the grand rapids hd locals will be on 118 when and if they are added? johnh has the best suggestion -- just repoint your wing dish from 61.5 to 129.

then deal with hd locals when they become available.

paul

I have similar frustration. I get 61.5 for TV5 (french channel) and all my high definition came off this satellite until FSN HD Detroit became available, but just on 129. All the HD channels had been available on 61.5 and 129. I am already picking up 110, 118, and 119. I was told I would have to sacrifice something in order to get channel 380 with FSN HD because there are only 4 ports available from Dish so only 4 satellites can be received. I am sure there will be alot of frustrated customers with Dish over this since sports is so popular in the Detroit area. I don't want to sacrifice some other channels in order to receive FSN HD, however Dish should not advertise what they cannot deliver.

dmorak

Your post above seems confusing because you are talking about 61.5 but say "I am already picking up 110, 118, and 119." SO which is it?

But you can get everything with a Dish1000+

110/119-regular programming
118-TV5
129-HD & HD RSN

Dish is in the process of moving all the international channels to 118 and TV5 is already there.

the 61.5 is coming off an old dish and I need 61.5 to receive TV5 which is the only reason I got Dish in the first place since they are the only service provide to provide the French channel.

why would you buy a new dish for the possibility that the grand rapids hd locals will be on 118 when and if they are added? johnh has the best suggestion -- just repoint your wing dish from 61.5 to 129.

then deal with hd locals when they become available.

paul

I had an installer try to hit 129 for about 4 hours with no luck. So it looks like I am out of luck unless I chop down my neighbors 80 foot maple trees!

Sorry I forgot to say that TV5 will not come off 118. If you find out it does let me know.

well lets see.....This morning I mentioned
Dish is in the process of moving all the international channels to 118 and TV5 is already there.

I guess I need more proof, huh? :D

see below

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 177
Iceberg you were right. TV5 moved to 118 on 731 and I got a local tech to reposition my 100+ to pickup 129 for the HD including FSN HD Detroit.

He disabled 61.5 from the old dish since I can only have 4 orbitals received. I'm not sure what to do with the old dish other than remove it.

Thanks for all your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)