FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At least 90% of my customers sign up with VIP receivers. Very, very few actually go with the Hopper because of the overall cost. The average customer does not need a whole home DVR system yet, at least not around my area. I don't push the Hopper though since I'm looking for long term, happy customers. If I forced the Hopper on every customer then I'd lose customers after their contract because they would not be happy with the total price after the credits. My longest term customers are the ones with a 722k mirrored to multiple TVs because it's the best and least expensive solution for them. No other provider can come close to it.
Good to know. I think that a lot of us didn't know for sure whether new customers could sign up and request the old equipment.

This is another way that Dish offers lower-cost alternatives than DirecTV, like the Welcome and Starter packages and so forth.

Some will drop with Fox, sure. But few of those people are the big spenders demographically.

Look at the demographics. The Fox viewers (while plenty) are NOT the type of folks who subscribe to premium services and ad ons. These are the services that Dish makes money off of. Dish may break even on the lowball packages, but certainly is not making money on these folks. I'd rather have a customer who pays for the more expensive services and who will spend more on my service rather than a low ball cheapo.

Look at the demographics yourself. It's all available as to what segment cable/satellite makes its money off of. The aging crowd in middle America's rural towns is NOT that group.
While I am no fan of FNC, and can't say I have any close friends who watch it, I will defend the demographic, if you are saying that older people are cheap or poor.

The fact is that the older demographic actually has more disposable income (no rugrats to clothe, feed, and put through college), and uses it on many luxury items such as cars, clothes, vacations, etc. The fact that advertisers are always looking for that 18-49 demo is one of the most confusing things, of many confusing things, that corporate America does.

OTOH, judging from the amount of ads for gold, perhaps the older demo that watches FNC is a little more paranoid about their money, and tend to throw their coins around like manhole covers.

Really? My goodness. This thread has really lost it's focus. Are you posters really going to continue bashing each other over one's preference or lack of preference for CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC? Really? I guess hate stemming from politics is alive and well in the good old US of A. I need to get a clue I guess. I find this thread unsettling. I thought that this thread was supposed to be about the Fox News channel and Fox Business Channel going dark, not about posters going dark on each other. Sheesh!

I am not going to comment about audience demos for particular channels. I am, however, commenting on what ADVERTISERS look for.
National advertisers look for demographics age 18-49. It is not because they have the most money, or spend the most or buy the most stuff. It is because they are the most pliable audience. They are the most susceptible to suggestion to purchase new, or different products. The older demo may have more money, but they, in general, are set in their ways and will buy tried and true brand products no matter how much advertising you throw at them for other products. This has been proven over and over again with all sorts of psychological studies and double-blind tests.

The older demographic can be targeted, but not for products many national advertisers offer. This is why programs with an older demo will have more prescription drug ads, life insurance ads, or fringe targeted products over say, Lays, Coke, Pizza Hut, etc. The fringe product advertisers fill the void with products like Gold Bond medicated powder, or other toiletries, and targeted products.

An older audience is less valuable to advertisers, but there's plenty of targeted advertising and plenty of money. It's just not as easy to get. Essentially every 18-49 year-old is worth about 2.5 times more in ad revenues than every 50-dead viewer. It's just the way TV, radio and even print is now.

I too miss Fox News, lately I've been watching CNN instead, (I'm a news junkie) and then I've fired up my Roku again and now I'm getting Sky News from London
I can't watch the Blaze or any other station in SD. I did complain to Dish because I'm paying $$$ for AEP package and the main channel I watch during day is Fox News and Fox Business.
This is the first time I've ever complained to Dish even during the AMC dispute. So Dish made it up to me big time and also because I'm not happy with the January price increase.

This is where I draw the line I can go up to $160 per month with just a HWS & Joey, after that it's cancel Dish and pay tv and start working with OTA & IPTV. Better yet get away from TV in general.

Anyhow Merry Christmas to all at Satellite Guys!

While I am no fan of FNC, and can't say I have any close friends who watch it, I will defend the demographic, if you are saying that older people are cheap or poor.

The fact is that the older demographic actually has more disposable income (no rugrats to clothe, feed, and put through college), and uses it on many luxury items such as cars, clothes, vacations, etc. The fact that advertisers are always looking for that 18-49 demo is one of the most confusing things, of many confusing things, that corporate America does.

OTOH, judging from the amount of ads for gold, perhaps the older demo that watches FNC is a little more paranoid about their money, and tend to throw their coins around like manhole covers.

I never said older people were cheap and poor. That is too much of a generalization. The demographics of a typical Fox News viewer is someone who is in his 50s, retired, living on income in the $50K range, does not have a college education. These folks are not internet power users, in general. So what products appeal to that group of people? Probably not a new Audi for $80k, for example. It is all about finding the right product mix for the right audience.

You all keep citing the gold coins item. I have seen advertisements for tax abatement firms, emergency cell phones, and so forth.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I never said older people were cheap and poor. That is too much of a generalization. The demographics of a typical Fox News viewer is someone who is in his 50s, retired, living on income in the $50K range, does not have a college education. These folks are not internet power users, in general. So what products appeal to that group of people? Probably not a new Audi for $80k, for example. It is all about finding the right product mix for the right audience.

You all keep citing the gold coins item. I have seen advertisements for tax abatement firms, emergency cell phones, and so forth.
What does any of this have to do with the dispute between Fox & Dish?

Reactions: soaphauler
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts