FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When picking data to compare, use the same source for both if possible. I notice you didn't in this case, but when I use nationaltvspots data... ESPNs numbers are quite a bit different. (Which BTW point out how this data is VooDoo in nature sometimes).

IE: According to National TV Spots, only 48% of ESPN viewers attended "some college". Not "87% have a degree" (that data is not within nationaltvspot's data... I don't know how 87% have a degree when only 48% even attended college?).

Whatever, this just comes from easy Google research in the public domain.....I know the data, I am telling you flatly that the demographics for news channels, and the Fox News Channel in particular is not a coveted one for advertisers. You can compare it also by ad rates and costs. We all know this data, but there are all sorts of rules on disclosure of that data in contracts and the like.

I am telling you that the "typical" ESPN viewer is more more educated and coveted in terms of who he is. He spends money on products. Humor yourself. The Fox News base does not spend money on products. That is what it is all about.....Fox may lead in viewership of news channels, but so what? News channels are disposable. The Weather Channel was the go to weather station, but they were brought back to earth.

I can watch the news via various outlets. I can watch the Super Bowl in one place. I can watch the Sugar Bowl in one place. I can watch news reports on Hurricane Katrina on any station and get the idea of what is going on.

FS1 is suffering from low viewership.....is it any wonder why Fox is tying the two together? Fox's main concern - if this goes on for any length of time people will move on and forget about it....Fox has to keep itself relevant somehow.

Grow up.

I am in advertising and I see the number and I know the numbers. The demographic of Dish Network's subscribers at the lower end are cheap folks who won't buy crap. Advertisers know this. Your absolute denial shows that the truth hurts.

The demographics of ESPN are much greater. The typical audience (especially on the weekends during college football) represents the highest buying power in America. The demographics here are solid. You can complain all you want. Look it up, it's generally available data.

ESPN demographics of "typical viewer": http://espn.go.com/mediakit/research/demographics.html

Fox News demographics of "typical viewer": http://www.nationaltvspots.com/imag...rkDemographicsDetail/FOXnews-Demo-Details.jpg

ESPN "typical viewer" 87% has a college degree. Fox News - 38% have "some college" Wow.

ESPN "typical viewer" age: 29. Fox News: 56

Median Household Income of "typical viewer" ESPN: $72K Fox News: $55k

You can complain about the hard data all you want. The people at the lower end of the spectrum on Dish do not buy squat. Dish is also not making much money off these folks either.

You want to go toe to toe with CNN and Fox? They are comparable: http://www.nationaltvspots.com/imag...etworkDemographicsDetail/CNN-Demo-Details.jpg The demographics for MSNBC are a little different mix, a little more college and about the same income and age.

The reality says the news channel viewers are not in the coveted demographic profile.
I think those numbers are bogus. CNBC viewers have lower income than MTV viewers? Give me a break.

Garbage in, garbage out. There is no source listed for those figures, I wonder why.

Good grief people. It's only television. Let's agree to disagree. To each his own. Personally I am on the liberal side. I participated in the anti war marches of the late 60's early 70's. I won't watch either FNC or MSNBC. To me they are both extremes. But I do defend that those who want to watch them have the right to do so.
Let's hope that the dispute can be settled so everyone can go back to being adults!

Good grief people. It's only television. Let's agree to disagree. To each his own. Personally I am on the liberal side. I participated in the anti war marches of the late 60's early 70's. I won't watch either FNC or MSNBC. To me they are both extremes. But I do defend that those who want to watch them have the right to do so.
Let's hope that the dispute can be settled so everyone can go back to being adults!
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman

Reactions: long_time_DNC
CNBC was not part of my discussion.

How come there are so many ads for gold coins on Fox? Not too many welfare recipients are buying gold and silver bullion .

Older people have more money than younger people, everyone knows that, they have been working all of their lives.

I hope Charlie really drags this out , just for laughs. It will be interesting to see who gives in first. I don't think Murdoch is losing any sleep. If you have Dish and still need your Fox Fix, go onto Roku and they show quite a few video clips.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
How come there are so many ads for gold coins on Fox? Not too many welfare recipients are buying gold and silver bullion .

Older people have more money than younger people, everyone knows that, they have been working all of their lives.

I hope Charlie really drags this out , just for laughs. It will be interesting to see who gives in first. I don't think Murdoch is losing any sleep. If you have Dish and still need your Fox Fix, go onto Roku and they show quite a few video clips.
Is it they have more money, or less expense?

Again...please because they peddle fear!.... Your being played but you enjoy it.....Is there any normal channel that would be selling gold because the worl is coming to and end?

Just accept it, no big deal.......

... I tried (really) to watch CNN for a few minutes and MSNBC for a few seconds (almost threw up) ...

I know a lot of people who would say the same if they watched fox infotainment...And to be fair, both CNN and MSNBC would be considered infortainment channels as well as I have stated before

Not to get political, but was just watching AJA and they kind of took a shot at the competition in their marketing. I was inpressed. They said "you don't watch us to be entertained, you watch us to get the news".

AJA is a wonderful news channel... ...If you don't mind your news sprinkled with Muslim Brotherhood propaganda and anti-American stories mixed in. Take a minute to Google and learn about AJA. Its amazing that satellite and cable providers carry such stuff. Ratings of AJA are in the toilet. I like Fox, but BBC and One America News Network are a better choice for real news. Hope Fox gives, but Murdoch, Carey, and his soldiers are not likely to cave. I'll stick with Dish regardless.

Reactions: Elkview
I made the switch to Dish from Verizon Fios TV. Love BBC and One America News. Not missing much, but One America. AJA isn't worth the time. I'm tired of paying excessive fees and hope Dish keeps fighting. Not a sports fan, but get that programming fees for ESPN are a necessary evil to draw customers. I wish I could choice what I want and leave the rest. Love the lower monthly bill from Dish.

.I know the data, I am telling you flatly that the demographics for news channels, and the Fox News Channel in particular is not a coveted one for advertisers.

and what exactly does that have to do with anything? pointing that out does not mean fox viewers are cheapskates.

and what exactly does that have to do with anything? pointing that out does not mean fox viewers are cheapskates.

Whatever. Look, a bunch of old, retired folks is not the demographic advertisers are looking for. The old retired folks are not buying anything....you can choose to believe that, or be in denial.

Whatever. Look, a bunch of old, retired folks is not the demographic advertisers are looking for. The old retired folks are not buying anything....you can choose to believe that, or be in denial.

that is fine and all, but does nothing to prove your assertion that fox viewers are cheapskates.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Someone above who claims to be in advertising, mentioned that the demos for ESPN skew much younger than FNC and that may be true, but the whole "younger is more desirable" mantra is based on a conceit promulgated by an executive at ABC in the early 1960's.

In those days, since most programming was, logically, aimed at older, more affluent viewers and, since ABC had a dearth of viewers of any age, he decided to counter-program the other guys and produce programs for a younger audience. He had his ad executives sell the up fronts based on his 'theory' that a younger, 'more hip' audience would be more engaged and buy more stuff. It worked. Within a few seasons, everyone was selling air time based on the same younger-is-better 'theory'. In reality, it was nothing more than marketing sizzle. As they say now, "the science is settled".

Hats off to the guy. I wish I had thought of it!

On the other hand, it sure looks like FNC has no problem filling those advertising avails!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts