Just Wondering!!!

ElkinHD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I signed up with Dish and I will be getting to hopper.I don't know much about it and was wondering what you guys thought of the hopper? I have a Genie and I haven't had any problems.. I was looking for insight on what to expect....Thanks

Reactions: space86
Take a look at the Hopper zone section of the forum. Plenty of answers to your question there, and spread through the Dish sections of the forum.

I liked my Hopper better than my parents' Genie. If you have to have pay tv, the Hopper is the best STB you can get IMHO.

I agree.... I have a Genie now and although it does some cool things... I greatly miss the Hopper. I miss not being able to stream shows without needing a genie go... Amongst a lot of other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="jerryez..Just lurking around and absorbing all this information that I get off of the forums....[/QUOTE]

Just make sure 3 tuners are enough and you don't require a super Joey

Good point. If you didn't do any research before signing up (big mistake) then Dish may not be setting you up with what you need. I've found that Dish does a terrible job of qualifying new customers. If you told Dish you have three TVs in the house they would tell you that a Hopper and three Joeys would be the best solution. If you have three people in the house that is not enough tuners though. Each person wants to be able to watch their own shows all while being able to record their own shows.

The system for qualifying is not bad. This is agent related. I can tell you from first hand experience, as an agent you have to probe. You have to know the viewing status and build your work order accordingly by actively listening. Biggest problem with the dish system, is it is to easy to use.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
The system for qualifying is not bad. This is agent related. I can tell you from first hand experience, as an agent you have to probe. You have to know the viewing status and build your work order accordingly by actively listening. Biggest problem with the dish system, is it is to easy to use.

I've always felt that they do not ask the right questions or not enough questions. Of course the customer has to cooperate as well. I figure most CSRs don't really care since they just have to make the sale and then their job is done whereas I have to make sure I get it right so I don't have a pissed off customer and so I don't receive a charge back.

I always fought saying that the sales agents, in addition to the retailers and techs, should be accountable for a certain time period on the cancellations. You have better knowledge then me, on what an appropriate amount of time would be, but if the CSRs are accountable for when a customer has to call back within 72 hours, shouldn't the sales agent be as well?

I always fought saying that the sales agents, in addition to the retailers and techs, should be accountable for a certain time period on the cancellations. You have better knowledge then me, on what an appropriate amount of time would be, but if the CSRs are accountable for when a customer has to call back within 72 hours, shouldn't the sales agent be as well?

I know as a retailer we are responsible for a new install for 180 days. Any tech visits we do we are responsible for 60 days. I've never heard if a sales agent is responsible or not. I think sales only retailers are responsible to a certain extent but they do not care as long as they keep signing up new customers in large numbers.

Dish inbound sales I do not beleive are responsible, other the. Just receiving a QA score. I hate it, because the majority of the time they are the ones selling the satellite internet. I have built dishnet work orders before, on occasion, and was mad because it was usually a customer calling back after talking with sales, and I ended up telling them how the service really worked. Most the time they had DSL or cable in their area(the ones that I had to talk to), so advised them to try that route first, and if not satisfied, then they should look at satellite internet, but it should always be a last resort. It is great for some people in SOME areas, but it should never be the first option to look into.

Dish inbound sales I do not beleive are responsible, other the. Just receiving a QA score. I hate it, because the majority of the time they are the ones selling the satellite internet. I have built dishnet work orders before, on occasion, and was mad because it was usually a customer calling back after talking with sales, and I ended up telling them how the service really worked. Most the time they had DSL or cable in their area(the ones that I had to talk to), so advised them to try that route first, and if not satisfied, then they should look at satellite internet, but it should always be a last resort. It is great for some people in SOME areas, but it should never be the first option to look into.

I'm the worst Dishnet sales person ever. I always talk my customers out of getting it because they usually have better options. I figure it's better they get what they need rather than for me to risk selling a customer what they don't need and pissing them off and getting charged back.

Reactions: ChadT41
I usually picked up a few sales in other services, when swaying away from dishnet. Remember, it's about the customer, so we have to do what's best for them, and in the long run, they will do what's best for business. It's a revolving cycle.

I usually picked up a few sales in other services, when swaying away from dishnet. Remember, it's about the customer, so we have to do what's best for them, and in the long run, they will do what's best for business. It's a revolving cycle.

That's the theory at least. We can only hope that it pays off in the end. It's nice when you get a customer to come back to you later and hear them say they came back because you treated them well.

Reactions: ChadT41
Install went well and all looks good so far. The Hopper seems easier to use and the remote is better. You don't hit record button when you try to go to the guide..That always got on my nerves with the Genie..I'll know more as time goes by....Thanks to all for the info..

I'm an old guy that has been with Dish for more years than I care to remember. I've heard of this Hopper box and read up on it some, but for my needs I'm not sure it is an advantage. I have one projector and a vip 722 with locals module. The vip goes through an A/V receiver via HDMI and out to the projector. The component connections of the 722 feed my tv in the home office in the next room. There is a 612 box (I think that is what I have) in the bedroom and is dedicated only to that tv and it works well as a stand alone. I don't need one device to send programs to every tv, in fact, I prefer not to.

Other than not having to fool with external hard drives anymore to archive saved programs (due to the huge capacity in the Hopper), I fail to see the advantage over what I have. I don't stream anything and I don't care about watching tv shows away from my home. There is never a time I want to record more than one, possibly two shows at once. I would like the CC one push on/off button that I understand Hopper has but can anyone tell me if it is really worth paying extra to replace the 722 with this thing, given my situation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts