FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
all the disputes have been about contracts for more $$$$. Remember Disney wanting more money for the EXACT same channels?

The liberal bias is amazing, and given the comments some posters have made here, it is clear they do not watch FNC and are just regurgitating stuff.

It's supposed to be about the issue, but how many "faux news" posts have there been, and how many "this is all Fox not dish" posts have there been?

Bottom line, we pay dish for service, and are without- hence dish is to blame. Contract negotiations are their responsibility and should be handled in a timely manner. The fact we are used as pawns is irritating. It's funny to see so many willing to be that pawn because of their disdain for FNC. Our bills are not that much cheaper at the end of the day.

Again, the conservative bias was not on display in the CNN thread the way the other side has been in this one
Correct, we do pay Dish for a service, and that is a satellite signal. We do not have any channels guaranteed. in my opinion, anyone unhappy with Dish, should leave, and find a service they are happy with if there is no chance of reconciliation. If it is solely over a dispute, I do feel the customers should vote with their wallet, and wait till after the dispute has been settled, then leave if they are just unsatisfied about the dispute. That wait the Channel Owner doesnt get the impression they are that much more important, and the Provider still loses the business. The customer takes control of the situation. When you just leave, knowing it will be back soon enough, then you are a pawn of one side of the other, and your voice is pointless other than to say "I like paying higher prices, and annual increases do not affect me". This is something I have said for any channel takedown. I couldn't care less if it was one I watch or one I don't, there are far to many channels on with temporary substitute programming that will get me by. This is my 2 cents.

Correct, we do pay Dish for a service, and that is a satellite signal. We do not have any channels guaranteed. in my opinion, anyone unhappy with Dish, should leave, and find a service they are happy with if there is no chance of reconciliation. If it is solely over a dispute, I do feel the customers should vote with their wallet, and wait till after the dispute has been settled, then leave if they are just unsatisfied about the dispute. That wait the Channel Owner doesnt get the impression they are that much more important, and the Provider still loses the business. The customer takes control of the situation. When you just leave, knowing it will be back soon enough, then you are a pawn of one side of the other, and your voice is pointless other than to say "I like paying higher prices, and annual increases do not affect me". This is something I have said for any channel takedown. I couldn't care less if it was one I watch or one I don't, there are far to many channels on with temporary substitute programming that will get me by. This is my 2 cents.

Agreed.

These past disputes, and impending price increase, is a lot for cusomters to accept. Everyone's situation is different, though.

When we cut dish, we are not signing up with another provider. Again, dish is not all that much cheaper and bouncing around is an unwelcome hassle.

If it wasn't for my passion for boxing I could cut the cord quite easily. I'm single so I only have to please myself when it comes to many things. With Netflix, Amazon Prime and OTA I could cover about 90% or better of what I watch though I might not always be current.

All that said, I prefer to use one or the other satellite service because it is much more convenient and will continue to do so until the cost becomes onerous. We're close to that now, but not quite.

If it wasn't for my passion for boxing I could cut the cord quite easily. I'm single so I only have to please myself when it comes to many things. With Netflix, Amazon Prime and OTA I could cover about 90% or better of what I watch though I might not always be current.

All that said, I prefer to use one or the other satellite service because it is much more convenient and will continue to do so until the cost becomes onerous. We're close to that now, but not quite.
Same here...it's close to being cut-back time. When the new price increases come in next year, that's when I'll make my decision...

That's me except substitute football

Reactions: long_time_DNC
Time for a shameless plug (plug that is shameless, not a plug for the Showtime series Shameless, which is a good show). Everyone knows what they really want to talk about, so why doing you regulars sign up for a Pub Membership and join the Pit.

Agreed.

These past disputes, and impending price increase, is a lot for cusomters to accept. Everyone's situation is different, though.

When we cut dish, we are not signing up with another provider. Again, dish is not all that much cheaper and bouncing around is an unwelcome hassle.

Again, DISH IS that much cheaper just use VIP receivers and save $150 to $180 or more a year over competition.

Thanks for reporting the real truth.

At least the truth for my small sample size. I don't know what it's like in other rural areas but here in Eastern Iowa it has been a non issue so far. I do know that I have a good amount of customers that love Fox News though and I'm sure they would be unhappy to lose the channel. Most people don't make any moves for at least a few weeks though because it's too much of a hassle to switch providers.

The only people who switch over a channel dispute are people who were already on the fence about switching any way. There are more factors than just losing one channel.

Apples to apples would be Hopper to Genie.

As for ancient VIP tech, that just falls into the catagory I already mentioned of basic packages with less channels. In this case, it would be basic equipment with less features.

Can new customers even sign up requesting that old stuff?

Stop making sense.

At least 90% of my customers sign up with VIP receivers. Very, very few actually go with the Hopper because of the overall cost. The average customer does not need a whole home DVR system yet, at least not around my area. I don't push the Hopper though since I'm looking for long term, happy customers. If I forced the Hopper on every customer then I'd lose customers after their contract because they would not be happy with the total price after the credits. My longest term customers are the ones with a 722k mirrored to multiple TVs because it's the best and least expensive solution for them. No other provider can come close to it.

At least 90% of my customers sign up with VIP receivers. Very, very few actually go with the Hopper because of the overall cost. The average customer does not need a whole home DVR system yet, at least not around my area. I don't push the Hopper though since I'm looking for long term, happy customers. If I forced the Hopper on every customer then I'd lose customers after their contract because they would not be happy with the total price after the credits. My longest term customers are the ones with a 722k mirrored to multiple TVs because it's the best and least expensive solution for them. No other provider can come close to it.

For our family, the biggest reason we switched from 722ks to the Hopper was because we wanted HD on every TV. We had a 5 TV setup with 2 722ks and a 211. That meant that 2 TVs had to deal with crappy SD.

It had little to do with the whole home features even though we found out we really liked those too. In 2014 I can't imagine paying $100+ every month for SD. The Hopper is the best thing Dish has going for themselves. I can't see them pushing old technology over that even if it actually fits some people's needs (lowest possible cost) better.

I see DISH pushing the hopper to all existing subs after they get all the older receivers out of circulation and replaced. The Vip receivers will be the last to go I'm sure ,but they will be pushing them out too. The reason is obvious : More $$$$$$$$$$ from the hopper/super joey FEES over the $7.00 dvr FEE on the Vip. Of course if you are really weird enough to want a second Vip 722k on your account , I 'm sure DISH won't mind you paying that $17.00 additional receiver FEE.:beaten

Remember Disney wanting more money for the EXACT same channels?

Bottom line, we pay dish for service, and are without- hence dish is to blame.

Call for your credit then. Problem solved.

Disney vs. Fox? Not even a comparison. Plenty of surveys and analyses done support that people (in mass) will switch w/o ESPN. That's the issue. ESPN owns the marketplace (unfortunately). FS1 is not even a close comparison. They want to be. They are not.

If you do not like it, you have an option....switch providers and pay more (once your new "promo" ends)

Call for your credit then. Problem solved.

Disney vs. Fox? Not even a comparison. Plenty of surveys and analyses done support that people (in mass) will switch w/o ESPN. That's the issue. ESPN owns the marketplace (unfortunately). FS1 is not even a close comparison. They want to be. They are not.

If you do not like it, you have an option....switch providers and pay more (once your new "promo" ends)
It is a comical comparison. The loss of ESPN would have required a massive effort to drop prices and create replacements. There would have been notable sub losses, not me if they handled it right (I survived without ESPN with Latino Dos). Also, Disney didn't turn off the signal during the prolonged and never ending extension.

For our family, the biggest reason we switched from 722ks to the Hopper was because we wanted HD on every TV. We had a 5 TV setup with 2 722ks and a 211. That meant that 2 TVs had to deal with crappy SD.

It had little to do with the whole home features even though we found out we really liked those too. In 2014 I can't imagine paying $100+ every month for SD. The Hopper is the best thing Dish has going for themselves. I can't see them pushing old technology over that even if it actually fits some people's needs (lowest possible cost) better.

There are some that it works perfect for but my average customer does not want it. This is why it's so important to ask the right questions and qualify the customer when they want to sign up. I've found that most people have two larger HDTVs and about one to three smaller HDTVs. Those two larger TVs are the only ones that really matter when it comes to having an HD receiver. The other TVs can be mirrored or use side two of a receiver. Customers love the fact that they can have those extra TVs connected without having to pay $7 a month for each one.

Reactions: ChadT41
I see DISH pushing the hopper to all existing subs after they get all the older receivers out of circulation and replaced. The Vip receivers will be the last to go I'm sure ,but they will be pushing them out too. The reason is obvious : More $$$$$$$$$$ from the hopper/super joey FEES over the $7.00 dvr FEE on the Vip. Of course if you are really weird enough to want a second Vip 722k on your account , I 'm sure DISH won't mind you paying that $17.00 additional receiver FEE.:beaten

I just installed two 722k receivers to a customer last week. They had to pay a $99 upfront fee for the second one and have to pay $17 a month for it as well but it was still less expensive than the Hopper and allowed them to have their recordings separate from each other. It's only $3 more than paying for a receiver at each TV like every other provider charges.

It is a comical comparison. The loss of ESPN would have required a massive effort to drop prices and create replacements. There would have been notable sub losses, not me if they handled it right (I survived without ESPN with Latino Dos). Also, Disney didn't turn off the signal during the prolonged and never ending extension.

Yes, ESPN would result in a massive drop in prices - and subscribers. You seem to miss this point, people will drop off massively w/o ESPN. It is a staple and it is what it is.

Some will drop with Fox, sure. But few of those people are the big spenders demographically.

Look at the demographics. The Fox viewers (while plenty) are NOT the type of folks who subscribe to premium services and ad ons. These are the services that Dish makes money off of. Dish may break even on the lowball packages, but certainly is not making money on these folks. I'd rather have a customer who pays for the more expensive services and who will spend more on my service rather than a low ball cheapo.

Look at the demographics yourself. It's all available as to what segment cable/satellite makes its money off of. The aging crowd in middle America's rural towns is NOT that group.

I don't care to have a relationship with the telephone representative of Dish. I'd prefer to simply pay less.
Boy, I didn't mind having a relationship at all if it saves me money on my account. I have called every 6 months for the last 2 years to get discounts and freebies . AFter 18 years with DISH next month, I feel that DISH should reward my loyalty. I have three accounts in my name for me, my parents, and aunt. I installed them and bought all the receivers and keep them up and running. Last year I got two free Roku players for the AMC dispute and $20.00 off for 6 months on two of my accounts. I also called and got extra money off for the CNN/Turner dispute last month : $25.00 off for 6 months and 1/2 HBO for $9.50 for 6 months on two of my accounts. This week I called and got another $10.00 off for three months on two of my accounts and FREE Cinemax/Showtime/Starz for three months because of the FOX dispute. He said call back in March and see what else they can give me. So I say keep the disputes coming, because it just keeps me saving money and getting free stuff. The funniest thing is that these last two disputes ,I didn't care if they pulled either stations CNN or FOX ,because I really don't watch either. But if my bill isn't going to go down when you pull the channels , I want money off for their loss.

My wife and I are both retired and fall into the conservative category so our daytime viewing has dropped off substantially during the Fox outage. Neither of us considered dropping Dish or trolling for freebies as we understand what we signed up for no matter which provider we're with. We came to Dish because of dis-satisfaction with Comcasts lack of support on questions we had about inclusions in their broadcast offerings a number of years ago. We do still use Comcast for our phone and internet connections and that's always been good. This will pass and the upside is our electricity bill will benefit for whatever time the Fox dispute continues.

Larry

Reactions: chiodo and AZ.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts