FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Fox News Channel & Fox Business Channel Go Dark On Dish As Carriage Talks Stall https://tv.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-channel-fox-business-060339393.html Fox News Goes Dark for Dish Network Subscribers http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-goes-dark-dish-054353040.html
21st Century Fox and Dish pointed the finger at each other tonight as carriage talks between the two failed to produce a deal by the midnight deadline, resulting in Fox News Channel and Fox Business Channel no longer being available on Dish.
“It is disappointing that, after nearly two decades without a blackout, FOX News Channel has been blocked by DISH Network,” Tim Carry Executive Vice President, Distribution Fox News Channel said late tonight. “We care deeply about our viewers and hope that they will regain access to the number one cable news channel soon. We will continue to work around the clock to reach an agreement with DISH, as we have done with every other pay-TV provider for 18 years. This is the third time in as many months that DISH customers have suffered through a blackout due to DISH’s intransigence. DISH’s record speaks for itself, and makes its rhetoric about ‘reasonable’ agreements ring hollow.”
Countered Dish:
“Tonight, 21st Century Fox, Inc. blocked DISH customer access to Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network, as the media conglomerate introduced other channels into negotiations despite those channels not being included in the contract up for renewal,” the company said.“It’s like we’re about to close on a house and the realtor is trying to make us buy a new car as well,” weighed in Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of programming. “Fox blacked out two of its news channels, using them as leverage to triple rates on sports and entertainment channels that are not in this contract.”Dish said the service disruption comes despite its offer of a short-term contract extension that would preserve the channels as the two parties continue to negotiate.“DISH has had a productive relationship with Fox for many years,” added Schlichting. “We regret the service disruption to our customers, and remain committed to reaching an agreement that promptly returns this content to DISH’s programming lineup.”
Horseradish, said Fox News Channel’s Carry — or words to that effect:“Fox News Channel did not disconnect Dish, rather, Dish prematurely ceased distribution of Fox News in an attempt to intimidate and sway our negotiations. It is unfortunate that the millions of Fox News viewers on Dish were used as pawns by their provider. Hopefully they will vote with their hard earned money and seek another one of our other valued distributors immediately.”Last Sunday, Fox’s NFL Sunday afternoon coverage featured an ad warning Dish customers they could soon lose Fox News Channel on their menus; Fox-owned stations continued carrying the ad. The programmer launched a web site, KeepFoxNews.com, urging Dish viewers to complain. Dish’s Twitter customer service page, meanwhile, warned customers, “Fox is making unreasonable financial demands” to continue carrying FNC and FBC, while adding, “we have had a productive relationship with Fox for many years and are confident we can reach an agreement.”It’s the third Dish contract expiration to make news in the last couple months. Most recently, CBS yanked its programming from Dish in early December after acrimonious talks; a deal was struck soon thereafter restoring the network’s stations to the satellite service. And, back in October, Turner’s deal with Dish expired leaving 14 million Dish subscribers without CNN, HLN, TBS, TNT and other Turner networks. Service resumed in late November when they two parties resolved their differences.

Looking forward to saving some money with my cancellation. I watch FNC, Fox Business, and the local networks. So with Fox gone, I'll plug in my over-the-air antenna and start watching the remaining channels for free. I called Dish this morning and they offered me a $5 / month credit for a few months to stay on. Dish plays hardball in negotiating with their customers as well as with Fox.

Well tried the chat.. offered me up to $5 of for 6 months but that isn't good enough. The ole lady is pissed lol so I got the call back coming in about 40minutes - she already knows they are raising rates in the next few months so I don't think she will accept anything less than extending what we got from the CNN issue about double the time like a full year.

Charlie is still patting himself on the back for the way he handled the CNN black out. I think he is going to find out that Fox News has a larger, more engaged audience than CNN. He is saving pennies on Fox News while raising my rate $5 next month. No way, Jose.

Then this "larger, engaged audience" is free to look elsewhere.....betcha they don't though.

Reactions: osu1991
Then this "larger, engaged audience" is free to look elsewhere.....betcha they don't though.

You can call them up and see that they have one hour wait times now. I finally cancelled and couldn't be happier. I have Roku , Netflix, and can watch some Fox News online. I don't need the $100 monthly bill for 40 sports channels I never watch.

The rep said I could come back in 60 days and get the new customer discount. Maybe Fox News will be back by then.

Meanwhile Uverse will send me a $200 gift card for starting their service, no contract.

I am taking a vacation from cable and satellite tv. I may actually have to read a good book or go out for a walk instead.

Last edited:
They could make the whole Fox line-up a la carte, AFAIC. Of course, if Fox had their way, it would probably cost $20.00 a month, and no autohop for 6 months.

Yes, at least with Fox News and Fox Business News. Bloomberg News was available ala carte last time I looked. Murdock and his national enquirer type crowd are always causing trouble of one type or another so a good solution, Dish. Be careful though. They might start hacking your emails too.

Reactions: eurosport
finally got thru.. got what i had extended cept for the showtime and cinemax but was told to call back when that promo ends in Jan to get that extended.

The ideal solution would be to make every channel a la carte. let the channels all set their own prices, and Dish tacks on a 10 percent profit. It will never work because ESPN wants everyone to pay for their programming, not just those who watch it.

So let me get this straight, people are going to D to get discounts and free stuff because Fox chose to blackout the News channels so Fox can get more money for their sports channels? Am I wrong? If not shame on you all, you all are no better than Fox! You are holding Dish responsible for trying to keep your bottom line down, all the while you all are demanding more stuff from D. Does greed not stop somewhere?

Moe

I still can't see this lasting long, especially with all those Conservatives who live in the Heartland, or as they say in those DISHNet commercials, "out in the middle of nowhere".

Reactions: Tampa8
So let me get this straight, people are going to D to get discounts and free stuff because Fox chose to blackout the News channels so Fox can get more money for their sports channels? Am I wrong? If not shame on you all, you all are no better than Fox! You are holding Dish responsible for trying to keep your bottom line down, all the while you all are demanding more stuff from D. Does greed not stop somewhere?

Moe
Looking at your past posts, you got the free roku and possibly discounts when the AMC drop happened. How is that different?

When all is said and done, Charlie will regret his decision blackout Fox News, the first time any carrier has ever done so. He thinks he is dealing with CNN, this is Fox News, and The Blaze isn't a replacement for it. That Dish fairy tale that this is all about Fox Sports Channel is just more smoke and mirrors. That is a separate contract and can't be removed by Fox for any reason at this time. Don't believe the spin. My prediction? Back on Dish by New Years Day, but at what cost in cancellations and service credits?

Shame on me?? My bill is getting raised 7 dollars a month next month. Please tell me how Dish is fighting to save me a dime.
So in your life does everything stay the same? Nothing costs more? Yes your bill will increase, to live in this county will cost more their are literally billions of people in this world that would change place with you instantly. Enjoy, I am.

When all is said and done, Charlie will regret his decision blackout Fox News, the first time any carrier has ever done so. He thinks he is dealing with CNN, this is Fox News, and The Blaze isn't a replacement for it. That Dish fairy tale that this is all about Fox Sports Channel is just more smoke and mirrors. That is a separate contract and can't be removed by Fox for any reason at this time. Don't believe the spin. My prediction? Back on Dish by New Years Day, but at what cost in cancellations and service credits?

They can modify or do anything they want with a contract if both parties agree.

Dish did not drop the channel. Dish had a contract to run the channel, the contract expired. Maybe this could be considered semantics, but Fox could have granted Dish permission to continue to run the channel during negotiations (even without a contract), and Dish generally makes that request. If the channel is off the air, it is not because Dish chose to drop it. Dish has not agreed to 20th Century Fox's contract request. Not the same as dropping the channel.
Yep semantics,we have enough evidence that Dish never hestiates to allow a channel to go dark,thier track record has been stellar in that dept.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, at least with Fox News and Fox Business News. Bloomberg News was available ala carte last time I looked. Murdock and his national enquirer type crowd are always causing trouble of one type or another so a good solution, Dish. Be careful though. They might start hacking your emails too.
I don't think Bloomberg is alc, if so I need to get on that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts