Fox News Sues Echostar

yes fox news has always been in the second tier and that is dish's most widely distributed package. so dish is fine, fox is nuts

Actually, everyone who has the 200, 250, and AEP are also getting the 100, so that would make the 100 the most widely distributed package. At least, that's likely what they will argue.

According to what I just read on Liberty's web site, the shares that they own are belonging to News Corp. Not DirecTV. So therefore, News Corp still ultimately is the majority shareholder of DirecTV. Although Liberty is the majority shareholder of News Corp.

Unfortunately, if this results in any programming being pulled, I'd bet that it's not just Fox News that would go. I'd think it would be all of the News Corp. channels (and that's quite a few channels).

Actually, everyone who has the 200, 250, and AEP are also getting the 100, so that would make the 100 the most widely distributed package. At least, that's likely what they will argue.

Then FN should not have said in the lawsuit the date was after 01/07. If your logic has merit it should not only be good after 01/07, rather from the beginning.

According to what I just read on Liberty's web site, the shares that they own are belonging to News Corp. Not DirecTV. So therefore, News Corp still ultimately is the majority shareholder of DirecTV. Although Liberty is the majority shareholder of News Corp.

No. Liberty owned a minority (19%)interest in Fox News which in turn owned a minority (39%) interest (but the right to manage) DirecTV. In a tax free exchange NewsCorp gave Liberty the minority interest in DirecTV in return for the shares of NewsCorp that Liberty owned.

The sale has not gone through but if and when it does Liberty will own 395 of DirecTV and none of NewsCorp.

Last edited:
Wow more good news from Dish i like seeing that the company i give money to every month is getting sued again maybe they should have a place on my bill that says lawyers fee next to my programing. Charlie what have you gotten yourself into now.

They are no doubt arguing that but DISH is no doubt arguing that they are different packages. Both arguments have some merit snd some internal logic.

I made this complaint to Dish when I first joined. I did not want to move up ten dollar package just to get a standard channel.

I am surprised that it took this long.

It is no secret CNN and others carried on the lower tier have a certain bias and by denying the opposite bias equally they clearly have some issues to account for and come clean on.

yes fox news has always been in the second tier and that is dish's most widely distributed package. so dish is fine, fox is nuts

"The most widely available" would be the cheapest package any way you look at it. All Dish subscribers can afford at least the 100 package. Not all Dish subscribers can afford the 200 package due to financial reasons of the individual. Therefore, common sense dictates that the top 100 package is the most widely available package. It doesn't matter if more subscribers subscribe to the top 200, not all can afford it.

Fox made the deal to be in the most widely available package the way it would ask that a cable company offer it in its analog tier, which would be the most widely available package to cable subscribers based on the fact that that is what all the cable subscribers can afford.

This all boils down to Charlie's liberal politics and that ongoing myth that Fox News is right wing news. Charlie needs to take the emotion out of it and offer Fox News (the most popular news channel) in its 100 package. I have said this before that Dish should switch Fox News and CNN or MSNBC (the less popular channels) and offer Fox News in the top 100 and CNN/MSNBC in the top 200. That makes better business sense, since Fox News does get better ratings.

You put in quotes "widely available" but the relevant phrase is "Widely distributed". Now either could be interpreted to be the lowest tier but they are two different phrases.

MSNBC and FNC are in the same tier. CNN is in the Top100.

Since the channel has been in the 2nd tier of programming since at least 2001 (maybe since it was added to Dish), why the lawsuit now, and why only try to recoup money from the first of the year?

Just a thought but perhaps the current deal began in 2007. i do not know that to be fact but it would make sense of what we are reading.

Just a thought but perhaps the current deal began in 2007. i do not know that to be fact but it would make sense of what we are reading.

From Scott's OP:

It said EchoStar had distributed Fox News this year on its second most widely distributed package, a 200-channel package known as "America's Top 200."

"Thus, since or about January 2007, EchoStar has failed to comply with the distribution requirement," Fox News said

The first statement is correct, but is not a new development. It has always been carried in the 2nd tier. The second statement doesn't make sense at all, especially the "since or about" part. As if something changed in January. Even if something did change, why did it take a whole year for them to file a suit?

Also in Scott's OP is reference to the original agreement, dating back to 1998.

First the HDNet dispute, now this. Its like they had some intern this summer go back through all their agreements to find loopholes and gaps to exploit.

I found a press release from the original launch, it was launched in the 2nd tier of programming, which at the time was the Top100:

EchoStar Launches FOX News Channel | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET.com

DISH Network to Broadcast 24-Hour FOX News Beginning January

EchoStar Communications Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH, DISHP) announced today that it will add the FOX News Channel to its America's Top 100 CD package at no additional charge. The FOX News Channel, produced by FOX Network, provides 24-hour-a-day live news broadcasts and distinctive programming for the next generation of news viewers. FOX News covers issues such as politics, family, sports, entertainment, health and business.

"DISH Network subscribers will enjoy the 24-hour news coverage FOX News will offer and its strong commitment to the highest quality of news on television," said EchoStar's Vice President of Programming Michael Schwimmer.

"Our vision brings together all the components that make for a more innovative, more informed presentation of the news that affects us all," said Suzy Feldman, vice president of Western Region Affiliate Sales and Marketing for FOX News Channel. "FOX News Channel has become the new standard for TV news in America. We've set our goal to be the premier TV news service in the 21st Century."

FOX News Channel will be shown on channel 205 starting Jan. 8, 1999.

All of that leads me to believe that Fox is caliming that the current deal is being violated and not necessarily the original deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)