Fox out of la Crosse, WI

B_Kranski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2007
Holmen, WI
Here is an official news bulletin from Fox out of La Crosse, WI They have finally went HD :)

Folks:

Effective at approx. 0200.00 this morning...WLAX-DT transitioned from SD (Standard Definition/480i) to HD (High Definition/720p) - It is available on 25.1 - the SD version is, also, available on 25.2...

Yep, WLAX-DT is 25.1 AND 25.2.

HD on 25.1 and SD on 25.2.

Please watch and me know what your thoughts are.

Go "Big Game!"

Respectfully,

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Mark G. Burg
Ch. Op./ Ch. Eng.
GRANT Media LLC
WLAX TV/DT - WEUX TV/DT
[/FONT]

Do you know where the broadcast tower is located? What about the ERP & tower height?

I have a couple co-workers in Rochester, MN who have been waiting for this channel to go 'HD-live'. Not saying they'll be able to pick it up, but it's worth a try. I had looked up the information before (FCC database) and what I found was 450KW and a height of 1150 feet. Do you know if this has changed?

TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA

Looks like this is the fcc report...I know it is located on the bluffs west of the Mississippi. About 3 miles or so sw of La Cresent, MN. It is a low power transmitter. I am able to get it with an indoor antenna, but being that he is about 60-70 miles away would almost for sure take an outdoor directional I am assuming. Not the strongest of signals.

Hope that helps, Bill

seems like a lot of fox stations do that...put -1 as HD and -2 as SD. They do that here in Minneapolis too

news article from the station
After months of hard work, Fox 25/48 is now broadcasting in high definition.

General Manager Bob Weinstein says it took years of planning and millions of dollars for Fox to build new transmitters that broadcast in HD. Weinstein says you'll now be able to enjoy Fox sports events and programming in HD., just in time for the Super Bowl.

"It's a tremendous amount of work. We have to pretty much have to put up a whole new tower and a whole transmitter and it takes a lot of man hours and a big capital investment."

Fox 25/48 officially started broadcasting in high definition at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday night.

You can find the brand new digital HD signal, on Charter cable channel 785, and over the air on digital channel 25.1.

so I wonder if they did put up the new tower or are just using the temp authorized power?

All of the Over the air channels are now HD for La Crosse. Dish = 0 but we are a small market area so will probley be like 12-15 years :rolleyes: But with a decent enough antenna I am pulling all except the NBC (out of Eau Claire), There is an nbc in rochester that also uses an antenna in La Cresent, but not HD. So as far as La Crosse goes with OTA, we now have CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS all HD now. :) and for those with a big antenna that pick up NBC out of Eau Claire, that is also HD. Good times finally, I like Football and Racing, Both are on Fox, at least part of the year. So I am really happy now. Bill

KTTC (NBC) broadcasts their HD signal from the tower between Grand Meadow and Ostrander, MN. It happens to be a shared tower with the PBS (KSMQ) out of Austin, MN and FOX (KXLT) out of Rochester, MN. Here's the info on those signals:

KSMQ (PBS): 400KW/1000 ft
KTTC (NBC): 325KW/1075 ft
KXLT (FOX): 220KW/1125 ft

The other channels for the Rochester-Austin-Mason City DMA are farther away and lower power. ABC (225KW/950 ft) is broadcast from Hayward, MN and CBS (200KW/1500ft) and PBS (Iowa) are in Stacyville, IA. I'm right in the middle of all the towers and can pick them up with a small UHF antenna on my roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)