FOX Sports CEO Interested in NBA, Golf

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
As long as you get the NBA off of ABC-ESPN (and give it to a network that will actually promote the sport properly and give it a high quality and consistent production), I'll be satisfied:
http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/03/fox-sports-ceo-interested-in-nba-golf.html

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, FOX Sports CEO David Hill was asked what sport FOX would like to acquire that it does not currently have. Hill mentioned both the NBA and the sport of golf in his reply.

"I think the NBA is starting to make a resurgence," Hill told the Times, "I'm a little interested in golf. Not because of the Tiger [Woods] thing. There are a lot of young hot players coming through now, which is going to give it a lift."

FOX has never had the rights to the NBA or the PGA Tour, though the network went after both during the 1990s.

The NBA is locked into its television deals with ESPN and Turner through the 2016 season.

Meanwhile, the PGA Tour's deal with CBS and NBC lasts through 2013. As far as golf's major events go, the U.S. Open will air on NBC and ESPN through 2014, the British Open will air on ESPN through 2018, and the PGA Championship will air on CBS through 2011 (first two rounds on TNT through 2019).

Just two years ago, when asked by Sports Business Daily if he had any interest in having the NBA (or the NHL, Olympics and open wheel racing) air on FOX, Hill flatly said "No."

Fox is commited to NASCAR thru 2015, and the NFL is given. This is pretty much all day Sunday, so any deals would have to work aroud that. For the NBA that is do-able, for golf, it would mean it would have to have a package that did not start until June and finished by September. You also have to remember its MLB contract, which washes out Saturdays as well, unless they go with a 1 PT game followed by taped golf out west.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)