fox sports dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DTV charges $8.49 for their regional sports package above their package plan prices. I believe that is what Dish wants. That way the package prices don't go up when a new deal is negotiated for the regional sports elements. Only those who want the Regional Sports Package would have to pay the new negotiated rates.
Is that a separate Regional Sports package, though, or is it their Regional Sports Fee? In other words, subscribers to those packages do not have the choice whether or not to drop those channels. They are automatically bundled into the package, but just itemized on the bill differently.

Well, right now, their current revenue stream from Dish is $0.00
Yep. It seems that Dish's response to the RSNs demand of all subscribers or nothing, is to choose nothing. I'd rather the choice be left to the consumer in the form of optional separate packages. That day will come, but it'll take a while.

Reactions: Tampa8 and pattykay
Is that a separate Regional Sports package, though, or is it their Regional Sports Fee? In other words, subscribers to those packages do not have the choice whether or not to drop those channels. They are automatically bundled into the package, but just itemized on the bill differently.
Not being a Directv customer I cannot answer your question . It was on an offer sent to me in the mail. I did not see a way to not take the Regional Sports Package.

Reactions: pattykay
DTV charges $8.49 for their regional sports package above their package plan prices. I believe that is what Dish wants. That way the package prices don't go up when a new deal is negotiated for the regional sports elements. Only those who want the Regional Sports Package would have to pay the new negotiated rates.

That isn't what DISH wants. Your mistake is what lots of people make. That surcharge is in addition to the cost of being in the package. The RSN's are still in the package and now Directv charges a surcharge depending on your Market. Not what DISH wants because it accomplishes nothing, You still must pay for the RSN's.
DISH wants them separate from the regular packages just as they do it for Flex. In the past DISH offered the RSN's to charge whatever they wanted and be A La Carte. No takers.

That isn't what DISH wants. Your mistake is what lots of people make. That surcharge is in addition to the cost of being in the package. The RSN's are still in the package and now Directv charges a surcharge depending on your Market. Not what DISH wants because it accomplishes nothing, You still must pay for the RSN's.
DISH wants them separate from the regular packages just as they do it for Flex. In the past DISH offered the RSN's to charge whatever they wanted and be A La Carte. No takers.
It does accomplish one thing: it allows Directv (and Dish if they were to implement the same practice) to advertise a consistent price for the basic packages nationwide, while still charging customers in each region according to how expensive their particular channels actually are. This is something that Dish is going to struggle with next year when it is time to adjust the package prices, with so few regions still having RSN's. Therefore, it is harder to average out the cost of RSN's nationwide, and just charge everyone the average price like Dish has done in the past. Now, as I see it, Dish has three options:
1) Eat the cost of the RSN for each region that still has RSN's, in order to continue advertising the same price nationwide.
2) Add a surcharge to the few regions that still have RSN's, at least until the contracts to carry those channels expire.
3) Continue to average out the price of the RSN's across all subscribers to the package nationwide, meaning that the vast majority of Dish subscribers will be paying for channels that they cannot actually receive, in order to subsidize them for the few regions that still can receive them.

Of those options, #1 is not likely (this is Dish we are talking about, after all). I would prefer to see option #2, but unfortunately option #3 is still on the table as well, regardless of the amount of subscriber backlash that would cause here, and on other forums where informed subscribers discuss these issues intelligently.

Charge the same price as before and pocket the profit
It does accomplish one thing: it allows Directv (and Dish if they were to implement the same practice) to advertise a consistent price for the basic packages nationwide, while still charging customers in each region according to how expensive their particular channels actually are. This is something that Dish is going to struggle with next year when it is time to adjust the package prices, with so few regions still having RSN's. Therefore, it is harder to average out the cost of RSN's nationwide, and just charge everyone the average price like Dish has done in the past. Now, as I see it, Dish has three options:
1) Eat the cost of the RSN for each region that still has RSN's, in order to continue advertising the same price nationwide.
2) Add a surcharge to the few regions that still have RSN's, at least until the contracts to carry those channels expire.
3) Continue to average out the price of the RSN's across all subscribers to the package nationwide, meaning that the vast majority of Dish subscribers will be paying for channels that they cannot actually receive, in order to subsidize them for the few regions that still can receive them.

Of those options, #1 is not likely (this is Dish we are talking about, after all). I would prefer to see option #2, but unfortunately option #3 is still on the table as well, regardless of the amount of subscriber backlash that would cause here, and on other forums where informed subscribers discuss these issues intelligently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Charge the same price as before and pocket the profit
I would almost agree with that, as long as "the same price" means no increase next year, as the cost increases to the other channels in the package would eat into that profit. As it is now, the current situation would be like if, back when Dish still did not have local channels in every market, they had forced the local channels into the package anyway, and everyone across the entire country had to pay the same price whether they could receive their local channels or not. Dish did not do that at that time (they waited until every market was covered with locals before forcing them into the basic packages, and even then, subscribers who had chosen not to receive the locals remained grandfathered at the lower no-locals rate) and they should not be doing that with the RSN's now. I even disagree with charging the same price for locals nationwide, regardless of market, as obviously some local markets are more expensive to carry than others. So, only the subscribers in those more expensive markets should have to pay the extra cost, instead of charging subscribers in the cheaper markets more than they would otherwise cost, in order to subsidize the more expensive local markets.

Today, 10/28, Dish updated all three on dishpromise.com and it is the status quo as before.
Not quite. There are subtle distinctions. Only the Fox Sports Net message has the stronger language that Dish is "no longer going to support this broken business model." (The NBC Sports Chicago message mentions the broken business model, but does not say anything about no longer supporting it. The Altitude message has been modified to remove the language about the broken business model altogether.) Only the NBC Sports Chicago and Altitude messages give phone numbers to "make your voice heard." There is no such contact information for Fox Sports Net. If Dish is no longer willing to use customers as pawns in the Fox Sports Net negotiations (getting us to contact the content provider to complain) then that would be a strong indication that there are no negotiations, at least not on Dish's part.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
They should be most definitely beginning to reduce Bill's for those in the effected market, if Dish is not planning to bring back FSN. Just my thoughts. I don't have a FSN affiliate, so it doesn't impact me either way.
It might impact you indirectly, if the end result of the RSN disputes is to simply not increase the bill next year for the markets without RSN's, but rather add a surcharge to the few markets that still do have RSN's. Therefore, your bill would go up because you still have NESN. Granted, the surcharge would not be as high as it would be if Dish still carried NBC Sports Boston.

It might impact you indirectly, if the end result of the RSN disputes is to simply not increase the bill next year for the markets without RSN's, but rather add a surcharge to the few markets that still do have RSN's. Therefore, your bill would go up because you still have NESN. Granted, the surcharge would not be as high as it would be if Dish still carried NBC Sports Boston.
Yes and no. Because I personally subscribe to the flex pack, I'd simply remove the Regional Action Pack and call it a day.

The bill will go up...no matter what happens...if not programming then equipment fees

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Hmm... the cost of adding Google Assistant must have been really expensive then. I cannot think of any other improvements lately that would justify higher equipment fees.

You do realize that you're attempting to respond to Juan with logic? :coco:)

You do realize that you're attempting to respond to Juan with logic? :coco:)
dare2be agreed with Juan, though.
dare2be seems to be fairly reasonable.

I was just curious what other improvements have been made lately, that Dish could use to justify higher equipment fees. (Not that Dish would need to justify raising the fees if they chose to do so. It would be nice to know what the justification is, though.)

Reactions: jamesjimcie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)