FOX Sports North and Wisconsin in the clear

Status
Please reply by conversation.

biggestdishicanfind

Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
Northern Minnesota
Does anyone know if any other FOX regionals are being broadcast in the clear? I've been watching FOX Sports Minnesota, FOX Sports Wisconsin and the alternate programming channel (whatever that is) for o couple of years now.

All you need is a PowerVu receiver. The transmissions are all in fixed key on AMC3.

I was hoping someone might now of other FOX regionals that are in the clear like this.

I've been enjoying FOX Sports programming (though I wish HD) for a long time. Seeing the Twins, the T-Wolves and Wild for free is great!

How can we get FOX to do this free service for all BUD owners?

Can't imagine why it wouldn't be legit. It is a PowerVu signal but it is not encryted. It is in a straight DVB mode.

I would think if they didn't want you watching they would encrypt it. Is it not legit to pull the signals down if a vanilla PowerVu capable received will receive them?

It has been this way for a few years. I don't think it's a fluke!

Iceberg,
I don't know how long ago you checked, but for me, this has been going on for maybe 2 years. I think ever since FSNN moved from transmitting in Minnesota to Houston.

I'm sure I don't have some special "box" that is permanently authorized for FOX somehow, and this receiver has been powered down numerous times, so if it was inadvertantly authorized, it should have lost that capability long ago.

I'm using an old D9225 IRD. I just played around with symbol rate and FEC settings and POOF, I get 3 channels mapped when on their signal.

I'd certainly be interested to know if anyone else out there is able to reproduce this.

I will be the first to admit I am no expert on this, so here is a question.... if this receiver was once authorized for a FOX broadcast, does it always remain authorized?

possibly

I have a D9234 (the ones for the Military for Armed Forces Network) and when I try it I get "scrambled" :(

Interesting.
I just checked (seems like the 2nd time today this came up, but I can't find the other post... maybe on another forum), and those channels ARE encrypted right now.
I was about to post saying that perhaps it's similar to FP mode in DCII, or fixed key mode in VCII, where you can receive it if you own a receiver made by that company, but since ICE has one, and doesn't get the channels, that's interesting.

I guess that perhaps it's just that different model receivers do things differently. Sort of like the DSR4200 only receives FP channels if the receiver has once been authorized, and actually, with the version of firmware that KET was uploading several years ago, the receiver wouldn't get FP at all. So perhaps that particular model receiver does the fixed key stuff.

Good info to know though. Have to keep an eye out for one of those. :)

Well, you guys got me wondering, and that is always dangerous. I have a few different SA receivers I picked up at a 3M auction when they dismantled their business television network.

So I tried a D9234 = No Joy
Then I tried a D9223 = works
The I tried at D9225 = works
Then I tried a D9850 = No Joy
Then I tried a GI VCII DSR4400X = No Joy.

Maybe this will lend you a clue.....:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Reclaimed CM .75M - usable for ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)