Fox Sues Dish For Two Hopper Features

I think that DISH should of included the ota antenna built in to the dish itself, like VOOM company did. It included ota channels and guide information in the receiver .
Way too many variables to dictate that as not beneficial to many customers. What if the local towers are in a direction different from the dish's aim ? What if the local towers are pretty close or far away ? Different antennas can be needed.

I've had a huge hatred for fox awhile now. Mainly because any show i like they cancel. I think the people behind this lawsuit against dish are nothing but a bunch of morons. The autohop feature does not work until 1am anyways so since a lot of people watch shows during primetime live they are seeing the commercials anyways. Is fox really this stupid? If the court comes back and says okay dish must disable autohop and ff feature then they will argue others have this ff feature. Fox is just greedy. Who cares about the commercials? Do we not see enough of them on other stations? Why should fox think the autohop is an illegal feature? An hour show is really 50 mins because of all the commercials during the show. I hope fox loses this because they are running scared because of ratings. After american idol ends they don't have to many quality shows.

I've had a huge hatred for fox awhile now. Mainly because any show i like they cancel. I think the people behind this lawsuit against dish are nothing but a bunch of morons. The autohop feature does not work until 1am anyways so since a lot of people watch shows during primetime live they are seeing the commercials anyways. Is fox really this stupid? If the court comes back and says okay dish must disable autohop and ff feature then they will argue others have this ff feature. Fox is just greedy. Who cares about the commercials? Do we not see enough of them on other stations? Why should fox think the autohop is an illegal feature? An hour show is really 50 mins because of all the commercials during the show. I hope fox loses this because they are running scared because of ratings. After american idol ends they don't have to many quality shows.

Let me get this straight. You are calling "American Idol" a quality show?????

Way too many variables to dictate that as not beneficial to many customers. What if the local towers are in a direction different from the dish's aim ? What if the local towers are pretty close or far away ? Different antennas can be needed.

True to many variables in reception for ota to take all in account. But an omni directional antenna would help get most people ,withing 25-30 miles of the towers, ota reception. I just think that ota is essential for satellite , due to weather problems. You need to be able to tune into ota channels when satellite is out, because of storms like hurricanes , severe thunderstorms, etc. A back up system so to speak, located right in your satellite receiver ,so no switching inputs to get to it etc. I can speak from experience back in 2007 when we had hurricane Humberto come up in the night and take a direct hit on Nederland where I live. We were told that it would be a light tropical storm ,under 75 miles an hour , when we went to bed. Around 2:30 am in the morning, I woke to feel the mobile home creaking and my son running to us from the other side of the house because his room was moving. The tie downs on his room broke. I went to the tv and turned it on and it was on an ota channel, which we could easily see we were being hit by a cat 1 Hurricane instead of a tropical storm. I could tune to any ota channel with ease and got the information we needed before the lights went out about 20 minutes later. Satellite was of course down , so it was critical that we could tune to ota to know what was going on. We rode out the storm and within a couple of hours it passed and we were fine. My sat dish was fine and even the terk 44 clip on antenna was still intact. Soon as the lights came back , so did the satellite.

Last edited:
True to many variables in reception for ota to take all in account. But an omni directional antenna would help get most people ,withing 25-30 miles of the towers, ota reception. I just think that ota is essential for satellite , due to weather problems. You need to be able to tune into ota channels when satellite is out, because of storms like hurricanes , severe thunderstorms, etc. A back up system so to speak, located right in your satellite receiver ,so no switching inputs to get to it etc. I can speak from experience back in 2007 when we had hurricane Humberto come up in the night and take a direct hit on Nederland where I live. We were told that it would be a light tropical storm ,under 75 miles an hour , when we went to bed. Around 2:30 am in the morning, I woke to feel the mobile home creaking and my son running to us from the other side of the house because his room was moving. The tie downs on his room broke. I went to the tv and turned it on and it was on an ota channel, which we could easily see we were being hit by a cat 1 Hurricane instead of a tropical storm. I could tune to any ota channel with ease and got the information we needed before the lights went out about 20 minutes later. Satellite was of course down , so it was critical that we could tune to ota to know what was going on. We rode out the storm and within a couple of hours it passed and we were fine. My sat dish was fine and even the terk 44 clip on antenna was still intact. Soon as the lights came back , so did the satellite.

Let me give you an example. I live 50 miles north of my local towers on Mt. Sutro in San Francisco. OTA, itself, is hit and miss even with a good antenna. I get my networks because I went through the research, expense, and work to install it. We have approx. a quarter of a million people in my area and most of them have no chance at all. Dish would never, and I mean never, be able to support an OTA antenna system here. There are so many areas around the country just like mine that it makes it not so good a business model.

Let me give you an example. I live 50 miles north of my local towers on Mt. Sutro in San Francisco. OTA, itself, is hit and miss even with a good antenna. I get my networks because I went through the research, expense, and work to install it. We have approx. a quarter of a million people in my area and most of them have no chance at all. Dish would never, and I mean never, be able to support an OTA antenna system here. There are so many areas around the country just like mine that it makes it not so good a business model.

True, in your instance 50 miles out from the ota towers, Satellite would be your only option unless you had flat terrain and deep fringe antenna for reception 100 miles out. But for those in the cities and suburban areas near ota towers 25- 30 miles out, a built in omni directional ota antenna would be great. I think that if DISH and DIRECTV had done ota tuners from the start of the company and did ota antenna installs for those who wanted it , they could of avoided doing each dma on the satellite. For those areas like in the country or mountain areas, distant networks for each time zone, would of worked . But that would of meant that DISH would of had to not violate the rules for distant nets. But just think of all the room on the satellite now if they had followed this direction at the start of the company. Oh well, that never happened. I still think that satellite installs, should also have ota installs for back up weather issues. At least till satellite can find away to prevent rain fade, if that is ever possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)