FOX tries to shed "one-hit wonder" status

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Variety has an interesting story about how FOX is trying to shed its "one-hit" wonder status, whereby American Idol carries the entire network to #1 status (both overall and in the 18-49 demo).

What a difference one show makes -- especially when it's "American Idol."

Despite not having any new scripted hits this year, Fox will once again finish the season in first place, thanks to "Idol" and powerful mainstays like "House" and "The Simpsons."

With its third consecutive adults 18-49 victory in reach, Fox execs ought to be celebrating up and down Pico Blvd. And while the party hats no doubt will be out this month, the net knows that "Idol" can't cover its weak spots forever.

There are also whispers that Fox Entertainment prexy Peter Liguori could be in trouble after most of this season's scripted skeins, including "Vanished" and "Justice," failed to click with auds. So, this year's development roster is key.

For several years now, Fox has operated with a split personality: The network that struggles through the fall without "American Idol" vs. the web that rockets to No. 1 in the winter and spring with "American Idol."

And although it has made some recent strides in improving its numbers during the autumn months, it's only when "American Idol" comes back that Fox jumps from worst to first.

"I do feel we can do better, and we will do better in the fourth quarter," says Liguori.

TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK HERE

My thoughts on this: FOX really screws the pooch with its extensive baseball coverage in the fall. I think JUSTICE could have survived if it hadn't had a MONTH OFF right when the other nets were hitting their fall schedules hard. And Vanished wasn't half bad either.

FOX claims that it will have less of a problem this year, with as few as 14 pre-emptions for baseball instead of 26, but 14 is still a lot. AND for baseball fans, less baseball on Fox means less Baseball in HD, since other games will get shifted to TBS.

I agree 110%. Pre-emptions and non-consistent airings (each week a new eps) are what kills many shows; especially the very new and the very old. The King of Queens, even though its already on it way out, is a great example as well.

I think a lot of viewers don't even give FOX series a chance anymore - they are too quick to cancel anything.

Vanished lost me after 2 weeks. I enjoyed Justice and wish it was given a little more time. Funny they make no mention of that other little show on Monday nights.

Standoff was an excellent show too. I don't think it's been cancelled yet, but I can't remember the last time it was on. Maybe before the last season's baseball playoffs, so I don't recall what's been going on.

Prison Break as been pretty good.

Standoff was an excellent show too. I don't think it's been cancelled yet, but I can't remember the last time it was on. Maybe before the last season's baseball playoffs, so I don't recall what's been going on.

Prison Break as been pretty good.

Standoff comes back in June.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)