Frankenstien Superdish 1000+

Liquidforce88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The Land Of OZ
Had a little time to play today. So tried to mod a 121 Superdish to work with the new 1000+ LNB array. Just so you know it is a pretty easy switch. Just a matter of removing the old LNB array and drilling a couple of holes so the new array will mount to the polar arm. Then just had to fine tune the skew and elevation to peak it in. Works well, and gets good signals on the 129 close to and over 100 on some transponder.

Here are a couple of pics for you. The LNB pic only shows the one bolt as I was just testing.

Attachments

• LNB_Mount redu.jpg
    LNB_Mount redu.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 852
  • SuperDish_1000_redu.jpg
    SuperDish_1000_redu.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,023
Dave nye said:
Had a little time to play today. So tried to mod a 121 Superdish to work with the new 1000+ LNB array. Just so you know it is a pretty easy switch. Just a matter of removing the old LNB array and drilling a couple of holes so the new array will mount to the polar arm. Then just had to fine tune the skew and elevation to peak it in. Works well, and gets good signals on the 129 close to and over 100 on some transponder.

Here are a couple of pics for you. The LNB pic only shows the one bolt as I was just testing.

Nice mod. I like that. :up

Skew it at about 124?

Was messing with my 1000+ today and could not get all 4 sats at once. Wonder if I did not have my skew high enough. Dave what skew are you set at? Your install looks skewed quite a bit more. I was following the instruction manual and did not try adjusting skew.

Elevation 30
Skew 118-121

1000+

Just a word of warning. I found out the hard way that you don't want to tighten the screws too much to attach the outside LNBF's. The cheap cast metal will break. I have only installed a few of these but they are easy to tune in and installl

Midas42 said:
Just a word of warning. I found out the hard way that you don't want to tighten the screws too much to attach the outside LNBF's. The cheap cast metal will break. I have only installed a few of these but they are easy to tune in and installl

Tell me about it, I broke 2 of them on Friday when I did an installation. Had to go back to the store and get another LNBF assembly :(

:) do you think the dish1000+ will hold up? this is the second post i have seen about how cheap these are. and the bracket is whats cheap. if you brake the lbn holder can you replace it with out replacing the lbn's? I'm going to use it on a try-pod. full time rv'er. this looks exactly what i expected the super dish convertion kit will be like.

scooby2 said:
Was messing with my 1000+ today and could not get all 4 sats at once. Wonder if I did not have my skew high enough. Dave what skew are you set at? Your install looks skewed quite a bit more. I was following the instruction manual and did not try adjusting skew.

Elevation 30
Skew 118-121

Skew on that setup was about 123 thats where I was getting the best signals between 129 and 118. I did not have the 110 hooked up while testing the 129 because I did not have any DPP44 at the time. But on initial set up it was 110 so I figure it should still be way over 100 when I was peaking for the 129.

I have more numbers I just did not bring them home with me. Some transponders were in the 80's on 118 other were in the 40-50 range. Still finding out what the proper transponder is to see what signal should be.

Midas42 said:

I think the problem with this is the polor arm will flex to much allowing the nut to pinch the metal on the LNB array. I noticed this on the 1 and only dish500+ we have seen at or shop (got that yesterday on it went on an install right away so I did not get to play with it much). The superdish arm is much heavier and I did not see a problem with it braking the metal on the array.

As for the little side brackets to hold the singles yeah they are not the strongest of things. The old superdish was set up pretty much the same, and I only ever saw a few of those break, and that was in the installers truck on the way to the job.

hobojoe said:
:) do you think the dish1000+ will hold up? this is the second post i have seen about how cheap these are. and the bracket is whats cheap. if you brake the lbn holder can you replace it with out replacing the lbn's? I'm going to use it on a try-pod. full time rv'er. this looks exactly what i expected the super dish convertion kit will be like.
We were sent an alert to handle the 500+ and 1000+ plus lnb assys with extreme care...They warn to not to lift or handle the assy by the metal bracket..My response? No sh*t...

:) hell you got to get the dish's out first! they have a big back order on them. maybe by late fall early winter things will settle down to where thtere can be extra parts. im shire this bracket will be the number one part.

walendvay said:
where can I buy an LNBF assembly for a dish 1000 + ?
Good luck..We haven't recieved any yet ..Luckily we have not had and w/o's assigned that require that dish......
Do a google search of satellite suppliers and see if you can get one from there..I doubt it though...When Dish intros a new product it usually takes quite a while for the product to become available to the general public via cash payment..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)