FREE Center Ice due to Versus contract Dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
this is how i justify the cost of what i pay DTV.

as a sports fan in the 60s 70s 80s i went to games alot 20 baseball 20 basketball and maybe a couple football. almost always bought 2 tickets well by the 80s 20 baseball games was $400, 20 basketball games near $900 and that's just tickets. back then tv had much less to watch. got to be so much i could not go.

not being rich is a problem if i were to go to games like i did back in the day would cost about $7,000.00 now plus parking and drinks. parking alone another $500 for 50 games. yes it is a good value for us sports people. even $400 for the nfl ticket that can be spent at 1 lonely game in this world.

but even now i spend less than i did over 20 years ago and see everygame i want not just 40-50 and don't leave the house. be that good or bad.

if one has no money i get it but....

this is how i justify the cost of what i pay DTV.

as a sports fan in the 60s 70s 80s i went to games alot 20 baseball 20 basketball and maybe a couple football. almost always bought 2 tickets well by the 80s 20 baseball games was $400, 20 basketball games near $900 and that's just tickets. back then tv had much less to watch. got to be so much i could not go.

not being rich is a problem if i were to go to games like i did back in the day would cost about $7,000.00 now plus parking and drinks. parking alone another $500 for 50 games. yes it is a good value for us sports people. even $400 for the nfl ticket that can be spent at 1 lonely game in this world.

but even now i spend less than i did over 20 years ago and see everygame i want not just 40-50 and don't leave the house. be that good or bad.

if one has no money i get it but....

Good point. I also grew up going to games, mainly Cowboy games in the Cotton Bowl and Texas Sta. I won't be going to "Jerry's Taj Mahal" :D

If one looks at the costs of attending games, there's no contest with cost comaprisons. Satt TV is easily the best value, imo. I'm just glad that there's enough rich fans in the Dallas area to fill that "palace" :)

First, a big thanks to members in this forum for suggesting a call to DTV. I gave them a call yesterday and told them how disappointed I was about Versus and that as a hockey fan I might have to consider switching providers. A very pleasant CSR gave me Center Ice for free and $10 off our regular package for 6 months!

I waited until the 11th hour but finally broke down & called. I explained to the CSR that I wanted to cancel my CI subscription because if the Versus issue isn't resolved by the time NFL season is over I would have to seriously consider getting rid of D* (and didn't want to be locked in until the end of NHL season because I wouldn't be able to get a refund on CI once the season begins). She gave me a one time credit of $163.80. Very friendly & understanding CSR BTW.

I waited until the 11th hour but finally broke down & called. I explained to the CSR that I wanted to cancel my CI subscription because if the Versus issue isn't resolved by the time NFL season is over I would have to seriously consider getting rid of D* (and didn't want to be locked in until the end of NHL season because I wouldn't be able to get a refund on CI once the season begins). She gave me a one time credit of $163.80. Very friendly & understanding CSR BTW.

It's still happening...with minutes to go before the puck drops...still no deal.

In spite of the Vs issue, I think it's good to read the posts here about the CSR's that are nice and the members that are getting deals. It helps with all of the recent "bad press" that DTV is getting lately.

I emailed DirecTV asking them if they could update me on the status of this issue. Below is the response:

Response (Name Removed - 0000000000) - 10/01/2009 04:42 PM

Dear Mr. Fiachra,

Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our new customers and I'd like to thank you for choosing DIRECTV.

I understand your concern about the NHL games.

Unfortunately, Versus is no longer available on DIRECTV. Comcast, the largest cable company in the U.S. and our largest competitor, owns the channel and has forced us to pull it down. Here is the situation.

DIRECTV was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus - and now Comcast is demanding an overall rate hike of 20% on top of that. Comcast also forces DIRECTV to make Versus available to a much larger portion of our customer base at our own expense than they require from other TV providers - most notably, DISH Network. We simply cannot accept these unfair and outrageous terms. All we're asking from Comcast is equal treatment.

Regardless, we will continue to work in good faith with Comcast to try to reach a fair and just settlement. Our commitment to deliver the best TV service for the best price is and has always been our first priority. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

I understand that the price of the NHL Center Ice may be a bit expensive. However,

NHL Center Ice lets you follow your favorite teams and players from outside your local area.
See up to 40 out-of-market games per week during the regular season.
Select Stanley Cup playoff games.
Select games in HD.

Thanks again for writing and for your continued support. At DIRECTV, your business is truly valued.

Sincerely,

Name Removed
Employee ID Removed
DIRECTV Customer Service

Fiachra, you didn't include what you sent DirecTV so don't know but were you asking to get free/discounted NHL-CI? I ask because of this part of the response: "I understand that the price of the NHL Center Ice may be a bit expensive. However, NHL Center Ice lets you follow your favorite teams and players from outside your local area."

This is all a bunch of crap. I just got off the phone with them an I was offered 1/2 off the center ice. I insisted and they said no. In fact they were ready to cancel my account. I have been in good standing with them and I always pay on time. How you guys got it for free beats me.

I emailed DirecTV asking them if they could update me on the status of this issue. Below is the response:

Response (Name Removed - 0000000000) - 10/01/2009 04:42 PM

Dear Mr. Fiachra,

Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our new customers and I'd like to thank you for choosing DIRECTV.

I understand your concern about the NHL games.

Unfortunately, Versus is no longer available on DIRECTV. Comcast, the largest cable company in the U.S. and our largest competitor, owns the channel and has forced us to pull it down. Here is the situation.

DIRECTV was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus - and now Comcast is demanding an overall rate hike of 20% on top of that. Comcast also forces DIRECTV to make Versus available to a much larger portion of our customer base at our own expense than they require from other TV providers - most notably, DISH Network. We simply cannot accept these unfair and outrageous terms. All we're asking from Comcast is equal treatment.

Regardless, we will continue to work in good faith with Comcast to try to reach a fair and just settlement. Our commitment to deliver the best TV service for the best price is and has always been our first priority. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

I understand that the price of the NHL Center Ice may be a bit expensive. However,

NHL Center Ice lets you follow your favorite teams and players from outside your local area.
See up to 40 out-of-market games per week during the regular season.
Select Stanley Cup playoff games.
Select games in HD.

Thanks again for writing and for your continued support. At DIRECTV, your business is truly valued.

Sincerely,

Name Removed
Employee ID Removed
DIRECTV Customer Service

So ...... so far you've got the normal response and NO offer to help out on the cost of the CI, IF that is where you were going with this. :(

Pretty much the same for me.

Called to see what the story was. If CI had been offered free I'd have taken it. It wasn't so I didn't press the issue since I'll prefer to keep my chips in my pocket for something I'd really like to get. No biggie

Fiachra, you didn't include what you sent DirecTV so don't know but were you asking to get free/discounted NHL-CI? I ask because of this part of the response: "I understand that the price of the NHL Center Ice may be a bit expensive. However, NHL Center Ice lets you follow your favorite teams and players from outside your local area."

Here is my email. I have ST/SF & MLB EI w/Premier. I did not ask for anything for free.

"Customer (Fiachra) - 10/01/2009 08:00 AM
Good Morning,

I am concerned about the availability of the NHL on DirecTV this season. Can you please give me an update on the VS situation?

I left Dish Network due to their not meeting my sports programming needs and certainly hope that I have found a home here at DirecTV.

I simply love the NFL and MLB programming here but the cost of the Center ice package prohibits me from subscribing to any more sports packages at this time. Please tell me that you will resolve this issue before much longer.

Thanks you for reading my concerns
."

Edit: Just noticed...
"Thanks you for reading my concerns."
...I feel a proper fool. I hope they had a good chuckle! ;)

This is all a bunch of crap. I just got off the phone with them an I was offered 1/2 off the center ice. I insisted and they said no. In fact they were ready to cancel my account. I have been in good standing with them and I always pay on time. How you guys got it for free beats me.

Did you subscribe to NHLCI previously? Maybe they are much easier on us folks who did. I subscribed last year and they offered it to me free when I called to have it removed on Wednesday.

Did you subscribe to NHLCI previously? Maybe they are much easier on us folks who did. I subscribed last year and they offered it to me free when I called to have it removed on Wednesday.

No I did not. I guess you are the lucky ones.

Compare the Costs.

2Upper Level Tickets to Buffalo/Montreal Home Openner - $86 x 2 = $172.00
Parking at the Arena 15.00

Total Cost - $197.00

NHL Center Ice - 24 weeks of hockey @ 40 games per week = 960 games

$165 / 960 games = less than 60 cents a game.

Now tell me that isn't a deal.

Compare the Costs.

2Upper Level Tickets to Buffalo/Montreal Home Openner - $86 x 2 = $172.00
Parking at the Arena 15.00

Total Cost - $197.00

NHL Center Ice - 24 weeks of hockey @ 40 games per week = 960 games

$165 / 960 games = less than 60 cents a game.

Now tell me that isn't a deal.

It is a deal but when they get you on other things (like $200 to upgrade to a HD DVR, which is free with TWC) than I'll take whatever I can get out of them & be happy with it.

Like others, I had already subscribed (auto renew) to CI & was calling to cancel. They may view it differently if you were not already subscribing to it & simply calling to try to get it for free. I've been a subscriber to CI, ST & ESPN GP for as long as I've had D*. I've also never received any kind of retention/customer satisfaction discount. Maybe that plays into whether they give you a full credit or not?

It is a deal but when they get you on other things (like $200 to upgrade to a HD DVR, which is free with TWC) than I'll take whatever I can get out of them & be happy with it.

Like others, I had already subscribed (auto renew) to CI & was calling to cancel. They may view it differently if you were not already subscribing to it & simply calling to try to get it for free. I've been a subscriber to CI, ST & ESPN GP for as long as I've had D*. I've also never received any kind of retention/customer satisfaction discount. Maybe that plays into whether they give you a full credit or not?
I also subscribe to ST & SF, ESPN GP, MLB EI along with NHL CI.

Well maybe they can package all sport package together and offer a deal here is the pricing to get all major sports
Football
300.00 Superfan 100.00
Hockey
NBA
MLB not sure if this is correct

Total of 861.71 $72 bucks a month maybe get
ALL MAJOR SPORTS PACKAGE for $500.00 or something like that.
I can't get my comcast philly so I have to order all I never do NBA
MLB is $191.

There is no way MLB is less than Hockey and Basketball.

BTW, I did the same thing this year on the first day of the NFL season. I called DirecTV and complained that they took away the MLB Mix channel on Sunday to make room for the ST Mix channel. They ended up giving me a $69 credit.

I don't know if you are familiar with the TWC HD-DVR or not? Its nice, if you never had a Dish 722, TIVO or even one of the current D* DVR. But if you ever been spoiled by the above, you will be disappointed with the Atlantic Scientific 8300.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts