Free DIRECTV HDDVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had to call 4 times over the last week to finally get my upgrade at a price i was happy with. I was to the point a was REALLY looking at switching to Dish.

I finally called and was actually going to cancel my service, and the lady set me up with an HD-DVR and 5lnb dish for $19.99.

MUCH better than the $299 they were expecting me to pay.

What do you guys suggest I do. I live in Canada. I just recently bought and installed an HR20. Paid 299 for it at Best buy. I Actually had to buy the slimline too for $100. Obvioulsy I can't have D* come to me for a free install and get the nice deals going on here. My account has been active for over 7 years. For the last 2 yrs or so I have been a premier customer. Never asked for a deal on anything. I never even got a fee ppv. Now I want my HR20 for free or close to it. Obvioulsy i am now under a 2 yr contract but I am happy with the service and intend to keep it. What is the best angle for me? They now I am not going anywhere anytime soon - will someone in retention give me what i think should be coming to me?

Thanks,

Z

I had to call 4 times over the last week to finally get my upgrade at a price i was happy with. I was to the point a was REALLY looking at switching to Dish.

I finally called and was actually going to cancel my service, and the lady set me up with an HD-DVR and 5lnb dish for $19.99.

MUCH better than the $299 they were expecting me to pay.

Were you still under contract or something odd about your account? That $19.99 (some have said $14.99 + S/H) seems to be the casual going upgrade cost for accounts in good standing well out of contract.

Has anyone ever bought an hr20 for full retail and asked for a credit? Or knows of someone that did? Even if i could get programming credits that would be fine with me.

Thanks,

Z

Has anyone ever bought an hr20 for full retail and asked for a credit? Or knows of someone that did? Even if i could get programming credits that would be fine with me.

Or, along those lines, anyone ask if you can just pick one up at BB, since I would absolutely NOT accept the HR21 & just have them credit it BEFORE you actually went out & did it. (if you ALREADY bought it AND activated it, I just can't imagine them giving you the credit AFTER you activated it, since they ALREADY got you on the hook for 2 years, due to activating an advanced receiver) ;) ;)

It appears to me that mentioning competitors deals is the way to go to get free stuff. I have been a customer for 7 years and wanted a free HR20 to replace my old SD DVR. On my first call I got the following for free:
HR20
new dish
free HD package for 12 months
free HBO and Showtime packages for 6 months
free Starz package for 3 months
Relocate my existing DVR upstairs and keep it
My main argument to the retention rep (who I got by saying 'cancel' at the prompt) was that I could cancel today and get all the above from the local cable company or dish competitor with no out of pocket cost to me and it will take the same deal from DTV in order for me to stay. I spoke with someone who claimed to be a retention supervisor. She went through all the scripted steps (offered HR20 at 299, offered hr20 at 199, offered hr20 at 99, then offered hr20 for free). Once at that position I told her the remaining free channel packages should be thrown in to match the competitors deal and it was immediately granted. The conversation was calm and friendly and it appeared that they are getting used to customers asking for these deals and are willing to give them. Customer loyalty is where these companies make their money, not new signups. For a customer to demand (in a courteous manner) that that loyalty demonstrate value back to the customer is fair and just plain common sense. In return for all these free giveaways they succeed in getting the customer back into a contract so that their revenue is guaranteed for a while. Others may get their free stuff by not mentioning canceling or competitors deals, but I don't see the point in tiptoeing around the issue. They are not giving this stuff away to be nice, its a business decision which is in their interest. Hitting them with your own financial arguments is the most direct (and I've found effective) plan.

Just because the retention CSR tells you will be getting this stuff for free it doesn't always work out that way does it? I was promised a free HD DVR and it turned out they had no intention of giving me one and wanted to bill me.

Thanks,

Z

Sorry, but I think you're stuck. They have absolutely no incentive now to give it to you for free. If you cancelled, they'd still have your $299 and your cancellation fee to boot...

Just because the retention CSR tells you will be getting this stuff for free it doesn't always work out that way does it? I was promised a free HD DVR and it turned out they had no intention of giving me one and wanted to bill me.

I learned this the hard way.

Thanks,

Z

I just did this to upgrade my HR10-250 to an HR20-700. I got an answer to an email that I could upgrade to the hr20 for $99.00 + shipping. When I called I was told I could could only get it for $299.00. So I told them no thanks. Sent an email about this and got the retention number with the pin code. Called got a very friendly lady and said they would honor it for the $99.00 but they needed to send a tech. I told her I keep odd hours ( own a bakery) and she told me I could buy one and they would give me a $200.00 credit. I was skeptical about it but bought one and activated it and got my $200.00 credit.

It would probably be a good idea to put a question mark at the end of the topic name. As it reads it looks like a statement instead of a question.

Howdy folks. First post!

I upgraded today: $125 for the DVR, 12 months no HD fee, 3 months no DVR fee, 3 months of Starz/HBO/Showtime. Originally they said 12 months no DVR fee, but then it didn't show up on my online account. I had to call them back and then they'd only do 3 months :mad:

This whole negotiation process is silly.

I just did this to upgrade my HR10-250 to an HR20-700. I got an answer to an email that I could upgrade to the hr20 for $99.00 + shipping. When I called I was told I could could only get it for $299.00. So I told them no thanks. Sent an email about this and got the retention number with the pin code. Called got a very friendly lady and said they would honor it for the $99.00 but they needed to send a tech. I told her I keep odd hours ( own a bakery) and she told me I could buy one and they would give me a $200.00 credit. I was skeptical about it but bought one and activated it and got my $200.00 credit.

Well, I waited a couple of weeks after getting my full retail hr20 activated. I calmly called and asked for retention. I explained to the rep that I have been loyal to dtv for many years and felt I havent been offered what many others are getting simply because I never asked or payed attention. I told him i have never had any subsidized equipment and subscribe to the permier package. I even mentioned that i was aware that i on now on a 2 year commitment. Right away he offered the HD access for free for 12 months. He put me one hold to see what kind of hardware credit he could get. I was hoping for at least $200 but he only came back with $100. I am not thrilled but at least they gave me something. I guess they could have said no but I didnt think they would take the chance of pissing off a loyal customer.

Z

Free HD DVR

I called last friday (2 days before my 2 year commitment ended) the CSR said $299 is the price. Firm.

I called monday (1 day after my 2 year commitment ended). I said "cancel service" to the automated voice response system. When I got a CSR I asked about upgrading. She said we have free replacement program. They are coming out this afternoon.

Bottom line cost for the upgrade? $0.

I think they want to take my HDTIVO, but I plan to ask the installer to let me keep it.

On the earnings call with Direct TV the other days they said they were not going to be as agressive on equipment promos anymore so it would help the bottom line.

Getting a $199 HD DVR is about the norm now for everyone.

BUT

What you can do is go for programing credits which could add up to the $199 over a year.
Thats what I did. No problem. They love to had out Programing credits and rebates.

Try that option now. DO NOT TRY for a free HD DVR cost wise - you wont get it anymore as per the earnings call. They have to deliver to the stock holders now.
They are doing more programing credits now to match what Dishnetwork does

Installed

I called last friday (2 days before my 2 year commitment ended) the CSR said $299 is the price. Firm.

I called monday (1 day after my 2 year commitment ended). I said "cancel service" to the automated voice response system. When I got a CSR I asked about upgrading. She said we have free replacement program. They are coming out this afternoon.

Bottom line cost for the upgrade? $0.

I think they want to take my HDTIVO, but I plan to ask the installer to let me keep it.

And I got to keep my HDTIVO.

People have been getting recorded messages stating that they are eligible for a free upgrade. The number is 888-763-7772 (no wait it went right to a live CSR). I called and they said they will install a new dish & replace my HR10 for free. I have an HR20 & an HR10 (& a SAT-T65) so I don't need the dish upgrade. They also said it will not be extending my 2 year commitment. I have a year left so we'll see if that is true...
I gave the number to a coworker an hour ago and he has them installing this Saturday again free. I've seen several posts where people are getting HR21's so it's the luck of the draw.

People have been getting recorded messages stating that they are eligible for a free upgrade. The number is 888-763-7772 (no wait it went right to a live CSR). I called and they said they will install a new dish & replace my HR10 for free. I have an HR20 & an HR10 (& a SAT-T65) so I don't need the dish upgrade. They also said it will not be extending my 2 year commitment. I have a year left so we'll see if that is true...
I gave the number to a coworker an hour ago and he has them installing this Saturday again free. I've seen several posts where people are getting HR21's so it's the luck of the draw.

Is this for new or existing subs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts