Free DIRECTV HDDVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
All that I can tell you, is to keep calling. That's what I did, and Sunday I got somebody that gave me the HR20 for free. I called maybe 6 to 10 times. Kind of lost track. Good luck.

Call 1-800-DirecTV and at the voice prompt say "Cancel Service". This will make the automated system transfer you to customer retention which is the department that can hook you up. Keep in mind that you can call this number five times in a row and speak to five different reps and getting nothing while on the sixth time you get the free HD DVR. The key is getting to the right rep at the right time and it can take some time. Either way if you keep at it you will get a free HD DVR. Most people get it between 2-10 calls for the most part and its very random to say the least. Don't give up on it is what we all are saying.

And while you should say "cancel service" at the automated prompt, you do not need to threaten to cancel with the actual rep. (although some do) I got a free upgrade on the 3rd call, and never once indicated I was considering canceling, or brought up any competitor names.

And while you should say "cancel service" at the automated prompt, you do not need to threaten to cancel with the actual rep. (although some do) I got a free upgrade on the 3rd call, and never once indicated I was considering canceling, or brought up any competitor names.

Very good point and yes you don't need to say your going to cancel at all. Using the Cancel Service prompt is just the quickest way to reach a customer retention rep which is who you need to get any of their bigger offers.

What do you guys say then? Just be blunt and say you want a free HDDVR?

Just tell the rep that you want to enjoy the new HD channeels but you can't because you don't have the new HD DVR. Tell them that you don't see the benefit of the new channels so you were thinking of either canceling or downgrading your package. As the other guys stated, you may have to call back a few times, but they will come around. Good luck.

I would just say I'm having a hard time justifying the high upfront cost of an HD DVR I won't own and being locked into another two year deal. I would just stick to this line and keep on calling until you get a rep that gives you the free HD DVR.

I didn't even mention cost. I just said I wanted to check into getting the upgraded dish and receiver to be able to receive HD locals and the upcoming (at the time) HD channels. That's all I said - period. I never mentioned price justification, competitors, etc. The first two told me they could give me the upgraded receiver for $199, and I said 'thank you, I'll think about it'. On the third call, I was told I could get it for $19.99 shipping.

End of story.

I called up last night and this what I did and got. I said I wanted to cancel service because my cable company was offering a special deal, etc. The woman, who was very nice and actually spoke English, went into her script. In the end, this is what I got: the HD DVR to replace my Directivo; a standard HD receiver to replace my older Hughes model, and 3 standard receivers to replace my "legacy" receivers. Obviously, this also includes the installation of the 5 LNB dish. I'm getting it all for no extra fee and even had shipping fee waived.

When I called, I simply mentioned the Dish Network promotion which is a free HD DVR, free HBO & Cinemax for 3 months, and free HD package for 6 months.

After I explained what they had, I simply ask D* what they were offering. I got the DVR for free.

I believe this method saved me from calling multiple times but it could also be I lucked out and got an easy rep on the first call.

Boy you guys are good. I actually disconnected after 10 years in June because they wanted $299 for an HD DVR. Went to AT&T Homezone but it was a mess. Last week started calling D* in earnest. The best I could do was get it for $99 with free HD for a year. I still am paying the "handling fee". Called back yesterday looking for a better deal on a second non-DVR HD receiver rather the free SD one. The price was listed as $99, I wanted $49 but was given it for free without even trying. Still paying the "handling fee" on that too.

I read the D* sales executive was just replaced. Wonder if they have a new "nice" policy for long-term subscribers?

when you get an HD DVR do you have to pay any additional fee for the service besides that of the equipment itself? like right now I pay $4.99 a month I think for my H20-600 Receiver. so if I get an HD DVR will have to pay the standard $4.99 plus the DVR service fee? and if so how much is the HD-DVR montly service fee?

when you get an HD DVR do you have to pay any additional fee for the service besides that of the equipment itself? like right now I pay $4.99 a month I think for my H20-600 Receiver. so if I get an HD DVR will have to pay the standard $4.99 plus the DVR service fee? and if so how much is the HD-DVR montly service fee?

DirecTV does have a DVR Service fee but this fee covers "ALL" DVR boxes on your account. This DVR Service fee is I believe 5.99/month. The Plus DVR and Plus HD DVR programming packages include the DVR Service fee so keep that in mind.

Beyond this fee above you do have what is called a lease fee of 4.99/month for all boxes beyond the first box on your account. This fee used to be called a mirroring fee but they changed it and not call this the lease fee. You would be charged this fee no matter what boxes you have on your account. It may be called something different but your paying this cost no matter what boxes you have.

How about if you're a 1 year customer still under a 2 year contract? I don't even care if I have to pay $100.00. I just don't see $300.00 being reasonable. What would be the best thing to say to customer retention if you're still under a contract?
Also I am 100% mpeg4 ready so I can't use that as an excuse. I have a H20 with HD access.
Do you think that since I'm a Sunday Ticket and HotPass customer and have had HD access for a year would help?

I upgraded last december to my first HR-20, and last week called to get another HR-20. I was told that their were no deals available due to being upgraded less than 1 year ago. I asked for a supervisor and he gave me the HR-20 for 399-100 instant credit (299), then made payable over 3 bills at 98 per bill (first bill has the 100 credit.)
He then gave me the HD package free for 1 year (120 credit over 12 months) and also gave me starz and showtime free for 3 months!
I am happy with the deal I got!

John

I upgraded last december to my first HR-20, and last week called to get another HR-20. I was told that their were no deals available due to being upgraded less than 1 year ago. I asked for a supervisor and he gave me the HR-20 for 399-100 instant credit (299), then made payable over 3 bills at 98 per bill (first bill has the 100 credit.)
He then gave me the HD package free for 1 year (120 credit over 12 months) and also gave me starz and showtime free for 3 months!
I am happy with the deal I got!

John

I'd call back and demand that the starting cost is 299 as this is the going rate for a leased HD DVR. You paid an extra 100 bucks beyond the normal everyday price of 299. I'd also demand that they also still give you all the credits they offered you. They charged you more money than what you could buy it for online not counting the credits. This is all based on the assumption that you got the deal "last" week.

I read the free upgrades by existing subs, but did anyone know if it is possible to call some D* special department to get free HDDVRs as a new sub? Is it just a wishful thinking that D* can offer a new sub two even three HDDVRs without upfront fees? Or at least the fees can be offset by free programming or package discount.

I read the free upgrades by existing subs, but did anyone know if it is possible to call some D* special department to get free HDDVRs as a new sub? Is it just a wishful thinking that D* can offer a new sub two even three HDDVRs without upfront fees? Or at least the fees can be offset by free programming or package discount.

Three free? Probably pushing it a bit. Just a warning though. I am a new subscriber awaiting installation (hope I have LOS:rolleyes:) I tried calling a few times, tried asking for retention. The CSR's kept saying I dont need to be talking to them, they cant help me. Finally talked to one and they could do nothing for me. Finally I talked to a CSR and she told me I could qualify for an extra rebate for moving into a new home which I am. Come to find out you can only recieve one rebate at a time. I called back to confirm and they had no record of being offered anything extra. This CSR then said, I will fix it sir and make sure that extra rebate will be included somehow. I called back again the next day to confirm. Again no record on any extra savings, also they had me signing up for the wrong package. I learned my lesson.
I signed up with a refferal from my boss who has D* and left it at that. I have since called to confirm and everything seems well for now. Good Luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)