Free Hd Dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pDUB

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
THE O.C.
Does Anyone Have Any Info On How To Get A Free Upgrade To The Hr-20 Hd Dvr From D*. I Currently Have The H20 Hidef But Now That I Got New Channels I Am Missing Alot Of Good Programing And Really Dont Want To Shell Out The Extra Cash Right Now.

Call in and say you've been looking at competing offers from Dish and Cable (or FIOS if it's available in your area). Let them know you're considering switching or upgrading to a HDDVR, but the price is making your second guess staying with D*.

If you've been a customer for just a handful of months though, forget about it.

Either way, there won't be a magical phrase or anything, it'll be CSR roulette, if it's even possible.

Make sure you say "cancel service" when you get the voice prompt, so that you get to the retention dept. The normal CSR's won't/can't give the free upgrades.

I had only been with them 4 months when I got my free (paid shipping) HR20 upgrade for the SD box in my bedroom.

I know that it has to be at least six months since your last upgrade or new equipment order before they will negotiate with the price.

I know that it has to be at least six months since your last upgrade or new equipment order before they will negotiate with the price.
Not totally true. ONUOsFan managed to get one for free. I've only been with them for a month and a half, I managed to get mine for $160 after all of their goofy credits. (FYI - my "wife" wanted me to switch back to TW Cable for their free DVR for 6 months. This can be true, but some providers are offering a year, which D* has matched before.)

Check out this thread on another site:
DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - HR20 FAQ

I think it helped me quite a bit.

I actually went back and looked at when I signed up and found that my install was April 6 (I remember because it was Masters weekend). They came and installed my free HR20 on September 17 (just in time!) after I called them the week before, so I was with them just over 5 months when I called to "request" the free box.

I don't know if they treat it differently, going from one HD box to another vs. going from SD to HD...

I ordered service about a month or so ago and got the following below.

First HD DVR for 220 bucks upfront (199.99 + 19.99 S&H).
Second HD DVR for 300 bucks upfront with a 100 buck bill credit.

Free HD Access for a year (120 buck total credit).
General 10 buck bill credit for a year (120 buck total credit).

Free HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/The Movie Channel/Starz and Encore for three months. This comes to 42 bucks a month credit or 126 bucks total credit.

I also got free NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan. This offer above is what I got when returning back to DirecTV as part of a Winback offer.

So even with all the credits given above I called about two and a half weeks after I got installed and asked just for kicks if I could get a third HD DVR for free and was shocked when I was told yes no problem. I did pay twenty bucks shipping though which is fine. Also before coming back to DirecTV I was last a customer in 2004 so I've been away for quite a while.

Now I did ask for the free HD DVR while on the phone upset about my Buccaneers game being one of the two games that didn't work the first week of Sunday Ticket. They could see I lived in Florida for many years in the Tampa Bay area so they knew I wasn't calling just to get a credit. They knew I did really want to see this game. So I think I may have got the free HD DVR at least in part because they knew I was really ticked off about not getting that game. Keep in mind I told the rep when I ordered that I was working all Sunday afternoon which is why I had to get Sunday Ticket as I couldn't visit my local bar anymore. So I called after getting home at around 8pm Sunday night and saw that my recorded Bucs game was worthless. Thank god for those Short Cut things they had but I was still mad though.

But even with everything said above DirecTV has bent over backwards to both get me and keep me as a customer and right now I have no regrets at all about making the move.

This post is just saying that the rule about every six months isn't set in stone for a newer customer even if you get credits to switch as a new or returning customer. I was told that after this free HD DVR I won't get anything more of credits or discounts until six months pass which is fine with me.

Also it seems quite clear that NFL Sunday Ticket customers do have better success with regards to credits and free hardware though.

This part is a little tricky, I have been told that as an "A LIST" customer I am entitled to one free upgrade every 6 months. The tricky part is it is not automatic at all, If I try to upgrade on line, I am not given any choice for a free upgrade and need to call the csr, and then demand to be transferred to get the upgrade for free. In my opinion, not the smoothest way of rewarding their most loyal customers. They turn what could be a very positive event into one that leaves one scratching their head as why they would want to frustrate one by doing this.

They offered me $99 plus $19.95 shipping because I had already upgraded in the past year.

Not too bad!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)