Free Preview of Premium Channels?

czarqwerty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Dish network used to offer a free weekend of premium channels occasionally. Does this still happen? I don't remember it happening in a while.

Thanks!

Dish Network has been pretty stingy with the previews lately. DirecTV and others have had HBO, Cinemax, and Starz recently, but Dish Network offered none of these. Right now Dish is previewing Fine Living and Hallmark Movies (yawn).

You can keep up with it at freepreviews.blogspot.com

Your right they have not been doing it as much lately.

Ahh, how I mess these. I remember firing up the DVR and being able to yank 20+ moves from my Netflix by catching up after a free preview for a few weekends in a row of a new net each weekend.

In fact, given the number of repeats each has, I wish that was a premium option: just give me each one multiplex a week at a time, changing each week.

Exactly :) my recorded movie selection was getting old. Oh well, hopefully they do it again soon.

Seems the last time DISH had a premium channel preview they did not even open up ALL channels in the package -- wasn't it the Starz preview and they only showed about 3 channels? This was at least 6 months ago.

With the Cinemax Penny deal I'm not too concerned with having the free previews.

First, I'm not eligible as I am an AT&T customer (even though I have paperless billing and autopay from them). Second, what about all the exclusives on HBO, Starz, and Showtime?

Part may be the providers, too. I remember when some had previews, there was an annoying "call Showtime to subscribe" banner periodically at the bottom, and giving a non-Dish number. I think it was a preview being done by Showtime. I also remember similar things with Cinemax and HBO, and also noting Skinemax (and the equivalent type of programming on HBO) dissapeared from the lineup those weekends.

I am surprised that Dish has not had one... I wanna say they would have them like September, Nov, and March and maybe even June, but like e1 else they seem to be fewer are far in between... CC

yeah, it's been a while. The one thing that I noticed was that you now get offers If you agree to another commitment. Yesterday I when I logged in to my account and clicked on offers, you get three months of HBO and Starz if you agree to another commitment.

Sorry for resurrecting this older thread. I just noticed that DirecTV will be having a free HBO preview 1/15-1/18. So the topic seemed relevant again.

Will Dish ever offer these again? They are doing a fine job offering a few AT200 and AT250 channels each month, but free premium previews have been few and far between. It would be nice if Charlie gave us the same joy as DirecTV for the weekend. Heck, they could do even better as Dish has all the channels (at least that they carry in SD) in HD.

Sorry for resurrecting this older thread. I just noticed that DirecTV will be having a free HBO preview 1/15-1/18. So the topic seemed relevant again.

Will Dish ever offer these again? They are doing a fine job offering a few AT200 and AT250 channels each month, but free premium previews have been few and far between. It would be nice if Charlie gave us the same joy as DirecTV for the weekend. Heck, they could do even better as Dish has all the channels (at least that they carry in SD) in HD.
they are offeing 3 months free HBO/Starz if u agree to a 2 year commitment u have to go to the website and sign up for the preview

With the Cinemax Penny deal I'm not too concerned with having the free previews.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A penny is about what Cinemax is worth per year! I found 1 show worth watching in the past 12 months!

I'm sure the HBO free preview this weekend is HBO driven and not because Dish wants to preview it for their customers. As it has been pointed elsewhere in this forum, HBO has the exclusive rights to Obama's inauguration kickoff on Sunday. They have decided to air this for free to all satellite and cable customers. DirecTV is also offering a free preview, and I'm sure all the cable providers will have a free preview this weekend. It will be great marketing for HBO this weekend.

I'm sure the HBO free preview this weekend is HBO driven and not because Dish wants to preview it for their customers. As it has been pointed elsewhere in this forum, HBO has the exclusive rights to Obama's inauguration kickoff on Sunday. They have decided to air this for free to all satellite and cable customers. DirecTV is also offering a free preview, and I'm sure all the cable providers will have a free preview this weekend. It will be great marketing for HBO this weekend.
Not to jack the thread, but what channel will the Inauguration be on (Dish)?

If this was the case why doesn't Dish have the free preview as well?

Not to jack the thread, but what channel will the Inauguration be on (Dish)?

Looks like the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) is carrying it along with PBS, MyTV (in NYC anyway) and CNN and Fox News. Some channels are going almost all day long with it. ABC from 10AM till 5PM on Jan 20th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)