Free Previews not in HD

Bonneville44

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Colorado
So last month Dish had free previews of Bravo and BBC America, but did not show their HD feeds.

I watched neither. I may have watched some BBC America if it were in HD, so why would they do this in SD only?

If no HD folks watch it, what would be the enticement to upgrade the packages?

They are doing it again this month.

I understand if no HD channel exists, but what gives?

There is an agreement between the channel originator and the channel provider over what can be shown in preview mode. Remember, the originator is giving that signal to the provider for free for that period. If the originator doesn't want to give away the HD feed for free, this is what you get.

makes sense form the standpoint of specifcally HWY they aren't in HD, but not the proverbial WHY woudln't the originator do so? I watched no BBC america and will wait to try out their shows through Netflix on DVD since I have no idea what I ma now missing on their HD feed.

The vast majority of subs are still SD and are NOT interested in upgrading to HD, yet ( I know people who have HDTV's and are insistent they are NEVER going to upgrade to HD channels and programming because they just don't care and don't think it is worth the upgrade fee, and they feel their SD is just fine, and yes they have seen HD and see the difference, but it is NOT IMPORTANT to them). So, in the meantime, Dish is wisely enticing the SD people to upgrade to a hight SD package.

What you guys are saying makes sense, I just think from my point of view, the HD subs may nt watch much of the free previews and not be enticed to mov eup. Ont he other hand HBO will be HD this month and so is Tennis.

i just switched to Dish HD, so basically, i don't need the free preview because i arleady get the HD version of BBC America and Bravo, why do i get them, i have American Top 250 with HD (the free HD for life deal for Me and my family).

The vast majority of subs are still SD and are NOT interested in upgrading to HD, yet ( I know people who have HDTV's and are insistent they are NEVER going to upgrade to HD channels and programming because they just don't care and don't think it is worth the upgrade fee, and they feel their SD is just fine, and yes they have seen HD and see the difference, but it is NOT IMPORTANT to them). So, in the meantime, Dish is wisely enticing the SD people to upgrade to a hight SD package.

Anyone know why these people waste their money in buying hdtv's when they aren't planning ever feeding it hd. seems to me it's a waste of ones money to get that type of tv. The make digital sd sets. Atleast the last time I looked they did.

I know someone who claimed they couldn't see the difference and is why they downraded to sd. Personally i think her problem was that the cable company didn't have many hd channels back then and she was viewing sd channels rather than hd and that's why she coudldn't see the improvement.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts