Free TVJ TV Japan now hidden on 118.7

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
The Free TV Japan periods on channel 675 @ 118.7 are now hidden from non subs in the EPG, channel 640 @ 61.5 is still available (for how long is anyones guess) but channel 641 which is on spotbeam 1 @ 119( the hawaii spot beam) is also now showing in the guide for me even though I am in Florida so when tuned I get no signal message of course.

Dish uplink center is really messed up hiding channel 675 from non subs when it has free previews for periods through out the day like 640.

I agree with the OP. I too, now, have the 675 hidden, but have the inaccessible 640 still displayed on my EPG. Perhaps I miss the point of the free periods each day of TV JAPAN. I used to watch them. It was mostly the newscasts or other short cultural programming that was free. Has TV Japan ceased the daily free periods? Is Dish hiding the channel from non-subs in violation of agreements with TV Japan? Well, it would be nice to have it back.

I miss it too. When they abandoned 148, I invested in a dish and LNB for 118. If it is available to subscribers only, why do they still list the "free" shows?

Or worse, why does dish still show 640 and during free time my box displays black video for several seconds and then an error message because the signal aint there. Perhaps they meant to hide 640 and not 675? Dream on, I guess.

This happened a few years ago to channel TVJapan 640 on 61.5 satellite.

When it happened I sent off some emails to these 3 addresses explaining that non-subscribers could no longer view the free previews because the channel was hidden in the guide.

tvjwest@tvjapan.net

tvjapan@tvjapan.net

ceo@echostar.com

It was restored 2 or 3 days later! I don't know if my emails helped or not but I don't think it hurt. I suggest if you are missing TVJapan, just send a quick friendly email to let them know.

Dish Network seems to like keeping most of the Foreign channels hidden so it's possible hiding TVJapan was just a simple mistake, that they haven't caught yet.

I had already heard back from the corp offices, actually above the ceo exec reolsution office, after I had contacted the TOC uplink center with specific info about why the channel was hidden. This was there response,

"I wanted to let you know I did get an update as to why you can no longer see TV Japan on 118 for the free preview hours. I had forwarded this information off to our Programming Department and got word back stating that the Free Previews are now only available on the 61.5 orbital slot. I do apologize for the inconvenience. If in the future you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email us again.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation"

big daaaaaaaaaaaahhh, dish donkey clowns! Also the part about now only available on channel 640 @ 61.5 is technically inacurate and wrong, since they are still also mapping (not hidden) on channel 641 the Hawaii spot beam @ 119.

They just don't get it, the free previews are now no longer available in the Western arc @ 118, which is also the primary international home. Just more inane decision making!

Also don't get what channel 641 is even doing mapping in my EPG (all channels) since I am in FL and it is on the Hawaii beam. get no signal message on 641. never had 641 until recently, so something is really messed up with the flags on all the TV Japan clones.

Last edited:
Don't waste time emailing Asian TV stations when they tend to IGNORE ALL EMAILS and feel that they can do whatever they want.

I enjoyed watching the intermittent english language programs on TV Japan.
I am suprised that TV Japan and NHK don't have a 24/7 free PI channel like KBS world. The Japanese have (at the moment) the second largest economy after the US. Why can't they fund a channel promoting Japan's culture? I set up a 1000.2 with 118.7 to cover all my needs. If TV Japan is still available on 61.5, I'll have to resurrect my old 61.5/110/119 setup on the roof. At my location in northern CA 61.5 is just above the horizon.

Directv channel 2183 MHZ Worldview, a free PI channel on directv 95 internationals satellite, has NHK news in english through out the day, with NHK-HD Logo in corner, Far better than TV Japan Free views on dish anyway.

Wow so its no longer showing for non subs then, well that seems to be about the only good thing that Charter cable has over dish because its 24/7.

Don't waste time emailing Asian TV stations when they tend to IGNORE ALL EMAILS and feel that they can do whatever they want.

Just got an email reply from TVJapan. TVJapan said they contacted DishNetwork themselves. Channel 675 appears to be back in the guide.

Directv channel 2183 MHZ Worldview, a free PI channel on directv 95 internationals satellite, has NHK news in english through out the day, with NHK-HD Logo in corner, Far better than TV Japan Free views on dish anyway.

Is SBS+ still for free on Direct??

I enjoyed watching the intermittent english language programs on TV Japan.
I am suprised that TV Japan and NHK don't have a 24/7 free PI channel like KBS world. The Japanese have (at the moment) the second largest economy after the US. Why can't they fund a channel promoting Japan's culture? I set up a 1000.2 with 118.7 to cover all my needs. If TV Japan is still available on 61.5, I'll have to resurrect my old 61.5/110/119 setup on the roof. At my location in northern CA 61.5 is just above the horizon.

Don't expect to get any free goodies from Japanese on television. $25 for one channel airing the low tv rating shows of Japan is too much. Other TV stations won't have a 24 hour pay station when they value every penny of the DVD sales and DVD rental sales at stores. That is why I am seeing Japanese video stores still exist inside the supermarket.

Is SBS+ still for free on Direct??

No SBS+ ch 2084 has been encrypted for over a year, they now give you cctv9 for free instead, a DVB mux @ 95 has all the CCTV channels ITC besides so whats the point?

Anyway recently directv international services discontinued the indian news 24 channel which also was free, at the same time they made TV Globo ch 2134 @ 95 free preview (around the middle of Febuary) but it was also the same week as Carnival that I discovered it was in free preview, then directv encrypted again a week later and made the russian channels free for a week or 2, it was the first and last free international previews I ever saw from directv @ 95. The directv world direct previews seem completely unannounced, and kinda point less anyway since like dish @ 118 if you don't already have the special dish/LNBF for the international location setup you would not be able to see the preview and/or bother then to sign up. Plus you have to scan through all the channels daily because their is no announcement about the preview channels.

Anyway when TV Globo ch 2134 @ 95 via directv was in free preveiew I got to compare it to the compression quality available from dish and it was about equal to Globo ch 596 @ 61.5 via dish. So in other words it was horrible 1.5 mbps SD and macroblocks were flying all over the place! So I am stuck with Dish ch 814 @ 118 for Globo even though the video white balance levels seem to high. I sent an email to dish quality and I am sure they just laughed it off! But the directv international preview of Globo worked to Globo's advantage because after I got to check out the channel again since not subscribing since sept 09 I decided to sign up again, Only I signed back up for the channel through dish instead of directv since dish is running a whooping 2 mbps on Globo @ 118. :rolleyes:

Pretty sad when they have to ruin a 6 mbps channel that the programmer is sending @ 55w and make it 1 to 2 mbps and then charge you $20 for macroblock SD. The other difference I noticed between Directv and Dish internationals is that directv does not insert their own promos like dish does during the commercial breaks. So that was about the only possitive I guess.

Since signing back up for an international through dish, I notice I am now able to go online and order other internationals, including checking off that I want KBS world for 0.00 a month, I was already seeing this channel on 652 and 9850 so I am not sure what the point is but I checked it off anyway in case they ever decide to grandfather the free preview.

So it turns out the problem with 675 is not entirely fixed yet, while 675 was finally made visible again to non subs as of last week the authorization hits that make 640 @ 61.5 viewable during the free periods are not happening on 675 @ 118 even though it says free TVJ, instead with 675 you get msg #13 not authorizied, so dish still hasn't got it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)