Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftamart

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Hi guys,
I noticed FreeHD Canada changed it's name to BluSky HDTV. Both URLs, freehdcanada.com and bluskytv.ca point to the same site.
I don't know if there still will be free channels after all, according to the "What's Different" section on their site, but there will be competition at least. Right now Bell and Shaw charge whatever they feel like charging.
I really hope they will get this going.

Last edited:
I really hope they will get this going.

Me too.. I really hope that they stick with their original plans of offering some free HD channels. I am in an area where CBC are planning on turning off their transmission tower, because they aren't planning on converting to digital. The only means I will have of getting CBC would be to pay Shaw/Rogers/Bell for it.. (I already have a Bell subscription, but that isn't the point :) ) I'd like to get some free channels, just because they're free.... Even if I have to buy a $200 set top box, I'll still do it for 'free tv' :)

I see the is a survey page added, the word free is not mentioned that much it's mainly about programing and billing.
It still sounds like their serious just not so much about the free part.

I browsed through the survey too. Looks like they're trying to peg a competitive price scheme.

On the What's Different page, they basically say you'll need a subscription and one of their receivers.

The word FREE is not used anywhere, unless of course you're paying for something....

Expect it all to be encrypted, I'd be really surprised otherwise! Especially with Lewis's
credentials on the About Us page.

No wonder about the name change, keeping the word "free" in there would be incorrect.

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but that's what I see in the print.

Cheers, let's hope for the best!

Wondering what´s the status, even though the site is still on after I hit enter Í get nothing...:confused:

probably the same as the other "free" site.....

vaporware

With the DTV conversion in Canada done and the CBC & SRC shutting of transmitters both Bell and Shaw (the 2 satco's) have a "lifeline" type program for folks who lost OTA

Had two of my relatives hook up to the Shaw free local stations program. Worked fine, 3 or 4 local stations free via satellite and SD only. The service ended after 4-5 months and only way to get it back was to take out a $50/mo sub. I ended up building two antennas for them and attached the antennas to the Shaw dish mast and used their cable... Been paranoid that the installer might take the dishes & receivers back though... So far so good... Talked them both into getting new TVs so I even got my ATSC converter back I had lent.
They get way more stations with the antenna anyway, and all except one in HD.

How is this going to work here in the states could we receive this to or we need other equipment?

Dan Rose

How is this going to work here in the states could we receive this to or we need other equipment?
I haven't heard anything regarding the equipment they plan to use, but I suspect they will have their own receiver with a card like Bell, Dish and DirecTV, but that's just my opinion.
It would be nice if we could use our FTA receivers for this.

Had two of my relatives hook up to the Shaw free local stations program. Worked fine, 3 or 4 local stations free via satellite and SD only. The service ended after 4-5 months and only way to get it back was to take out a $50/mo sub. I ended up building two antennas for them and attached the antennas to the Shaw dish mast and used their cable... Been paranoid that the installer might take the dishes & receivers back though... So far so good... Talked them both into getting new TVs so I even got my ATSC converter back I had lent.
They get way more stations with the antenna anyway, and all except one in HD.

Its still up and running, and you can sign up till Nov 30. I just got my box (a HD one which is wierd) and dish. Shaw has to provide the service indefinately as part of their agreement to buy Global. They thought they were going to get off easy and it wasn't all that popular then CBC pulled the plug on thier transmitters. They are now so swamped they don\t know what to do to keep up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts