OTHER Returning to hobby - what receivers are popular now? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

circuitmike

Jul 12, 2021
Greenfield, MA, USA
I'm finally returning to this hobby after 12-or-so years away and I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for a new receiver. My old Fortec Star just isn't going to cut it any more! I dug out my old 4' Primestar dish, STAB HH120 motor, and Invacom QPH-031, picked up a GT Media V-73 HD, and found that everything is still working great after all these years! But now I'm looking for a new STB receiver and I'm not sure which direction I should go in.

I've come across some receivers that run the Enigma2 firmware. I'm very experienced with Linux, so this might be a good option for me. I've also seen simple receivers like the Amiko Mini and more full-featured ones like the GEOSATpro HDVR3500.

My requirements are pretty straightforward:
  • DVB-S2X capable, 4K output
  • I'm interested in FTA only - no need for any card slots or decryption functionality
  • Fast and accurate blind scans, of course!
  • DVR function might be nice, but not a hard requirement
  • IPTV not necessary
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I'm finally returning to this hobby after 12-or-so years away and I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for a new receiver. My old Fortec Star just isn't going to cut it any more! I dug out my old 4' Primestar dish, STAB HH120 motor, and Invacom QPH-031, picked up a GT Media V-73 HD, and found that everything is still working great after all these years! But now I'm looking for a new STB receiver and I'm not sure which direction I should go in.

I've come across some receivers that run the Enigma2 firmware. I'm very experienced with Linux, so this might be a good option for me. I've also seen simple receivers like the Amiko Mini and more full-featured ones like the GEOSATpro HDVR3500.

My requirements are pretty straightforward:
  • DVB-S2X capable, 4K output
  • I'm interested in FTA only - no need for any card slots or decryption functionality
  • Fast and accurate blind scans, of course!
  • DVR function might be nice, but not a hard requirement
  • IPTV not necessary
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

:)

Reactions: KE4EST

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just buy an Edision OS Mio+ from Titanium. Anything else will be disappointing. And get a new PLL LNB at the same time. The Invacom was good in its day but it deserves to be on your museum shelf now.

Reactions: Psikic and Lee60

circuitmike

Jul 12, 2021
Greenfield, MA, USA
Just buy an Edision OS Mio+ from Titanium. Anything else will be disappointing. And get a new PLL LNB at the same time. The Invacom was good in its day but it deserves to be on your museum shelf now.
Thanks! The Edison OS Mio+ looks really nice - unless anyone else has a better suggestion, I'm almost certainly going to go with that.

I figured there must be better LNB's around these days, but I bought a couple cheap (in price and quality) ones on Amazon and they performed worse than the Invacom. There were very few choices there, so I guess Amazon's just not the place to buy satellite gear. Do you have any suggestions?

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
Amazon is fine, just know what you're buying. I recently obtained my second Geosatpro SL1PLL LNB. I used an Avenger PLL LNB for years. Both perform well. I sense the Geosatpro model may be more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts