OTHER Returning to hobby - what receivers are popular now?

circuitmike

Original poster
Jul 12, 2021
Greenfield, MA, USA
I'm finally returning to this hobby after 12-or-so years away and I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for a new receiver. My old Fortec Star just isn't going to cut it any more! I dug out my old 4' Primestar dish, STAB HH120 motor, and Invacom QPH-031, picked up a GT Media V-73 HD, and found that everything is still working great after all these years! But now I'm looking for a new STB receiver and I'm not sure which direction I should go in.

I've come across some receivers that run the Enigma2 firmware. I'm very experienced with Linux, so this might be a good option for me. I've also seen simple receivers like the Amiko Mini and more full-featured ones like the GEOSATpro HDVR3500.

My requirements are pretty straightforward:
  • DVB-S2X capable, 4K output
  • I'm interested in FTA only - no need for any card slots or decryption functionality
  • Fast and accurate blind scans, of course!
  • DVR function might be nice, but not a hard requirement
  • IPTV not necessary
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I'm finally returning to this hobby after 12-or-so years away and I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for a new receiver. My old Fortec Star just isn't going to cut it any more! I dug out my old 4' Primestar dish, STAB HH120 motor, and Invacom QPH-031, picked up a GT Media V-73 HD, and found that everything is still working great after all these years! But now I'm looking for a new STB receiver and I'm not sure which direction I should go in.

I've come across some receivers that run the Enigma2 firmware. I'm very experienced with Linux, so this might be a good option for me. I've also seen simple receivers like the Amiko Mini and more full-featured ones like the GEOSATpro HDVR3500.

My requirements are pretty straightforward:
  • DVB-S2X capable, 4K output
  • I'm interested in FTA only - no need for any card slots or decryption functionality
  • Fast and accurate blind scans, of course!
  • DVR function might be nice, but not a hard requirement
  • IPTV not necessary
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

:)

Reactions: KE4EST
Just buy an Edision OS Mio+ from Titanium. Anything else will be disappointing. And get a new PLL LNB at the same time. The Invacom was good in its day but it deserves to be on your museum shelf now.
Thanks! The Edison OS Mio+ looks really nice - unless anyone else has a better suggestion, I'm almost certainly going to go with that.

I figured there must be better LNB's around these days, but I bought a couple cheap (in price and quality) ones on Amazon and they performed worse than the Invacom. There were very few choices there, so I guess Amazon's just not the place to buy satellite gear. Do you have any suggestions?

I am also returning to the hobby be out for quite a while dont have,a clue where to start . Could you point me in the direct please thanks in advance I use to have views at coolsat and jynxbox . But sure there way out of date .