Freeze Framing on Composite output, while Component video is fine

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I just went to a tv using the composite output to watch something. The picture freezes and sputters. So I went to the component video signal on the big tv, it looks fine.

Anyone else see this? Did this happen due to 7.26?

Is it doing this all the time? Have you tried rebooting?
I haven't tried the composite output lately, but I will give it a try.

Ilya said:
Is it doing this all the time? Have you tried rebooting?
I haven't tried the composite output lately, but I will give it a try.

Yes, all the time. I will try a reboot tonight, see if that helps. It does it on all channels, even SD channels! Or Local HD channels. So, very wierd.

I've had this happen several times since the latest firmware update but mine was sputtering on Composite and Component was fine. I recorded Omega Man while watching it live and the piture was flawless, but on playback it stuttered severly, unfortunately, the recording was hosed. A reset fixed it. I've had it happen on Component as well and a reset fixed it. So far, it's happened about 4 times.

Well, mine stopped doing it upon reboot, but was doing it again this morning.

So there definitely is a bug in 726 with it.

how long does it take for this strange behavior to happen once you start watching through composite? While you are watching through composite do you change channels or just stay on one channel? Also at what resolution is your set set?

Sean, the problem apparently manifests itself through the SD outputs then creeps up through the HD outputs is my best guess since my recording was hosed and the HD was ok. I have my stb set to always output 1080i and the 4:3 is set to Pillarbox/Letterbox.

I can't test this for sure, but I have had instances where the HD was stuttering and it started right away, I don't know what causes it, other than extremely heavy use of the EPG. I know the Dish 501 used to throw fits if the EPG was heavily used, it seems the stb programmer's cannot cleanup the GUI memory very well when switching between Video and GUI.

Sean Mota said:
how long does it take for this strange behavior to happen once you start watching through composite? While you are watching through composite do you change channels or just stay on one channel? Also at what resolution is your set set?

In my case, I rebooted and made sure it was ok, went to bed, so no channel changes. In the morning, glitches again on Composite.

So no epg being used or anything, just hd signal.

As a programmer, it wreaks of a memory leak in some buffering code in the conversion between the hd and sd signals

I also have mine set to pillar mode/letterbox and my tv is 1080i

Mine just did it twice today, I was recording Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer and I noticed it stutterning, this after I had reset it this morning for the same damn thing. This is getting very tiresome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)