FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just to share MY preference.

Dish: If you are reading, it is better to delay and do it RIGHT then to send out crap and promise to fix it later. Especially given your track record of fixing it later.

-Allen

caesar gdi said:
WJMorales,

What the difference between providing a digital OTA tuner and the analog OTA tuner that most Dish STB's already have. I think that it would be stupid for Dish to stop providing OTA tuners just because of the analog to digital switch.

The difference would be that a digital tuner hooked up to quality antenna will often yield digital (or even HDTV) broadcasts that are superior, far superior in the case of HDTV, of the same content that a lot of Dish subscribers are paying $5 a month for.

I agree that it would be stupid of Dish to not include HD over the air tuners in the high-end receivers, for competitive reasons. However, when one does a direct picture-quality comparison between Dish's locals and what the OTA tuner pulls in the contrast is stark. The fact is, the compressed Dish signal looks awful. The best thing about the Dish local package is it allows one to see stations in different directions without fiddling with a rotor. Meager praise indeed. Like I really need to see the Modesto PBS station. :D

caesar gdi said:
... the analog OTA tuner that most Dish STB's already have ...
NO E* box has an analog tuner. Most have an OTA passthrough - which is not analog or digital - it's neither/both.

EDIT: Above information is WRONG. Corrections over the next several posts.

SimpleSimon said:
NO E* box has an analog tuner. Most have an OTA passthrough - which is not analog or digital - it's neither/both.

Actually the model 5000 has an analog tuner. I also thought the model with the digital tape player in it also had an analog tuner. It would have been great for Dish to have one with their DVRs so you could record your locals but after Dish started providing LILs to most of the country, it wouldn't make sense since Dish wants you to get your locals through them.

Every E* box with HD capability has an analog tuner built in along with the DTV OTA tuner.

Coming 942

Non of the SD E* boxes have any sort of OTA tuner.

Ah crap - mark it on your calendar - I was wrong. :D

Misunderstood what I was writing and forgot about the HD and Legacy boxes.

QUestion:

Is the caller ID info shown on both TV1 and TV2?

Or just the main TV1?

Can they do it over 1080i?

WeeJavaDude said:
As in to being buggy.. This is another loaded question. Based on what Dish has gone through with the 921 and hopefully some leasons learned, I would expect the 942 to be farther along in terms of stability than the 921 was when it hit the streets.
Substitute DISHPlayer, 4700, 811 -- oh heck, "any previous receiver" -- for 921 and 921 for 942 and you have what we were told for the 921.

gpflepsen, the OTA tuner for the 6000 is an option.

It amazes me how many people can't wait to piss away $250 for the ability to RENT this thing. Especially considering MPEG4 is getting so close, well maybe for D* anyway :p. I guess it's still a better deal than a $950 921 when it first came out.

kbohip said:
It amazes me how many people can't wait to piss away $250 for the ability to RENT this thing. Especially considering MPEG4 is getting so close, well maybe for D* anyway :p. I guess it's still a better deal than a $950 921 when it first came out.

Possibly people are looking that they can get the 942 and when Mpeg4 arrives E* will have an upgrade path for them. When you are under their lease pgm does the plan not allow you to do one upgrade a year or something like that?

I do wonder why someone would put out $250 up front (about 1/3 the retail and after 1 year rent 1/2 the cost of buying) for the privilage of renting. You can bet that if this works for E* you are going to see more upfront charges like that for hardware, which in my view is a crock.

Alt

Its all about the market.

In my mind $250 plus rent is cheaper than $750 to buy.

Plus the key word is -lease-

2 Years from now when my city (Im not in the top 100 markets), is Mpeg4, I would be glad to drop an other $250 and lease a new one. Or maybe they will just let me get a free upgrade since I am leasing and I already bought into the lease program.

Either way, its still better than $750 now and an other $750 two years from now.

I must have a HDTV solution so I see no other option. Even the HD Tivo is $750.

ScottChez said:
Its all about the market.

In my mind $250 plus rent is cheaper than $750 to buy.

Plus the key word is -lease-

2 Years from now when my city (Im not in the top 100 markets), is Mpeg4, I would be glad to drop an other $250 and lease a new one. Or maybe they will just let me get a free upgrade since I am leasing and I already bought into the lease program.

Either way, its still better than $750 now and an other $750 two years from now.

I must have a HDTV solution so I see no other option. Even the HD Tivo is $750.

I was thinking more about this and with renting the 942 at an upfront cost of $250 then another $5-10 a month thereafter it is a better deal than buying it. I mean if you bought a 942 for $750 and then kept it a year and ended up selling it on Ebay I'd doubt you would get more than $500 for it tops. This isn't even taking into consideration that Dish will have cut the price of it in half by then either, so you might end up only getting $300 for it.

Does the 942 have to be plugged into a phone line? It said somewhere on the spec sheet that it uses some sort of thing that runs off the house electrical wiring.

kbohip said:
I was thinking more about this and with renting the 942 at an upfront cost of $250 then another $5-10 a month thereafter it is a better deal than buying it. I mean if you bought a 942 for $750 and then kept it a year and ended up selling it on Ebay I'd doubt you would get more than $500 for it tops. This isn't even taking into consideration that Dish will have cut the price of it in half by then either, so you might end up only getting $300 for it.

Does the 942 have to be plugged into a phone line? It said somewhere on the spec sheet that it uses some sort of thing that runs off the house electrical wiring.

Take the $250 upfront and we will use the $5 mth fee, that is another $60 so in the first year you have paid $310 for nothingm at $10 that is $370. I would agree that the lease would be an option if there was no upfront fee...seems that E* want's you to pay for the Mpeg4 upgrade well before it's time (I do not see E* coming out with a Mpeg4 receiver for well over a year).

Alt

kbohip said:
Yes, it or another receiver with DishCOMM does have to be. The DishCOMM feature allows you to have just one receiver connected to the phone, then your other DishCOMM-enabled receivers report to it over the the electrical lines.

BobaBird said:
Yes, it or another receiver with DishCOMM does have to be. The DishCOMM feature allows you to have just one receiver connected to the phone, then your other DishCOMM-enabled receivers report to it over the the electrical lines.
Except of course, DishComm is vaporware just like most E* "features".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts