FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
GaryPen said:
More DVR recording space, of course is of major concern. It's nice that the Cable DVR's will have expansion capability shortly from those nice folks at Maxtor, and, of course, DirecTivos have now.

Dish, OTOH, makes upgrading hdd space almost impossible. In the rare occasion that is possible, it involves jumping through flaming hoops.
Exactly, Dish could enable their boxes with usb ports to support the Maxtor device (or any other usb-connected hard drive for that matter) quite easily but I am not holding my breath waiting on them to do so.

Is there a way someone could enable them theirselves with some kind of mod or write software into the receiver to enable them?

WC_SouthElgin said:
I'm scheduled to get a 942 installed on 2/12. :yes I'll post once I get it.
Stargazer said:
Yeah right.
Well, even though I didn't expect good news, I thought I'd call Dish tonight and see if I could "get on the list" for a 942 Lease. I was informed that "like the 522, the 942 lease deal" would be available for new accounts only. The CSR did say that they had 921s available :no , but I declined...

So, the 942 may be like the 522, unavailable to current customers until some time (1 year?) after introduction.

Foxbat said:
Well, even though I didn't expect good news, I thought I'd call Dish tonight and see if I could "get on the list" for a 942 Lease. I was informed that "like the 522, the 942 lease deal" would be available for new accounts only. The CSR did say that they had 921s available :no , but I declined...

So, the 942 may be like the 522, unavailable to current customers until some time (1 year?) after introduction.

Or maybe never. Why would E* want to lease you, a current customer a product that is obsolete and need to be replaced before they recoup their manufacturing costs? They wouldn't, they would only do this to obtain new customers. Sorry, but we will have to wait a while to get our next generation HD DVR (but at least it will be mpeg 4 enabled).

Foxbat said:

Any E* Call Center is a classic case of the left hand having no clue what the right hand is doing. Call again and get a different answer! It's like spinning the roulette wheel ... you never know what you're going to get.

If I get this answer, I'll go right to the PR CEO e-mail and express my dissatisfaction. That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. Who in their right mind would spend $550 on an outdated 921 when they have announced a better HD DVR unit for $250?

This existing customer (for 8+ years spending $100+ monthly on nearly every programming package E* has) should be able to lease the 942 when it's available without any hassles.

I will not go quietly into the night. ;)

They are doing you a favor by not letting it be available to you seeing how MPEG-4 is just around the corner.

Ah piss off Dish. Are you kidding me? I want a 942 lease and I don't care if it's obsolete in a short time frame. I want HD and I want a DVR. I'll be giving them a call...if they say no to me, I'll email the higher ups with that ceo email address. If that's a no go TWC is offering current sat subscribers a pretty sweet deal. I'm so angry I could !protest

I am being told that they will be for sale to those who want them. Dish knows that people are willing to formk out $700 for one and will hapilly take their money.

While Dish announced that they hope to have the 942 out in March, I would not expect it then. I should also note that when it IS available DishStore.NET will sell it and will offer it for a lower price then any other online store. :)

Mark at Dishdepot.com sent me an email yesterday that he will be offering it for $699.00 as soon as next month when they become available.

Why in the world would an existing customer pay $450 MORE dollars for something that others are getting for $250? That is ridiculous, especially when the thing is outdated before it gets out of the box. It is just amazing to me that a company would punish their existing customers who have given them tons of money and maintained their loyalty to the company. Enough of this nonsense already.

I wrote to Dish and was told that they had not worked out final details regarding existing versus new customers and how the pricing will work so they basically said to hang tight and wait until more details were announced.

While I don't know what that ultimately means as far as the end result for a deal, I do know it probably means that February is out as far as an availability date and wouldn't be surprised to see spring completely come and go before we see this thing anyway.

SSDD it seems.

*shrug*

jdsabin1 said:
Why in the world would an existing customer pay $450 MORE dollars for something that others are getting for $250?

The $450.00 extra is to purchase the receiver. The $250 just buys you the privilege(?) to lease the receiver for $5 a month.

Personally, I have no interest in one of these doorstops, but each to their own.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
The $450.00 extra is to purchase the receiver. The $250 just buys you the privilege(?) to lease the receiver for $5 a month.
Yes I realize this but the fact remains .. spend $700 to have something that is already obsolete and will need to be replaced

<or>

spend $250 and another $115 over the next 23 months and invest $365 (a fraction of the $700) and by then get into a new HD DVR receiver that does do MPEG4.

Seems pretty logical to me which direction to go.

jdsabin1 said:
Yes I realize this but the fact remains .. spend $700 to have something that is already obsolete and will need to be replaced

<or>

spend $250 and another $115 over the next 23 months and invest $365 (a fraction of the $700) and by then get into a new HD DVR receiver that does do MPEG4.

Seems pretty logical to me which direction to go.

Using your time frame add another $230 to that for the required HD Pak with lease. Your now at $595

Overall I prefer my direction, $0 x 23 = $0. ;)

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Using your time frame add another $230 to that for the required HD Pak with lease. Your now at $595

Overall I prefer my direction, $0 x 23 = $0. ;)
Valid point. Still you have to add that if you're buying the thing so doesn't change the way it *should* go for existing customers that do want the 942. :)

The only way the math will work for someone buying a 942 for $700 is if Dish "buys" it back for the $350-$450 difference when the MPEG-4 DVR is released. Or, if they swap it out for the 942 Mk II for free, S/H included (CC Autopay required, natch!)

Lets see -> 700-250 = 450 / 5 mo = 90 months (7 1/2 years) before you would break even. I think I would go the lease route. Another thing is if they were to swap out to MPEG-4 HD DVR then maybe they would not charge anything for the swapout since you are leasing it vs. possibly wanting a fee if you own it. Seeing how DirecTv is not going to charge anything to swapout their receivers Dish shouldn't either if they want to keep their customers from switching to DirecTv.

So, the difference between the 921 and 942 is that the 942 has DVR capabilities on both TV1 and TV2 whereas the 921 could only record and playback on TV1?

Does anyone have a good place to view a comparison?

The 942 is an HD version of the 522. All the info of the 942 is in the first post.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, ayoung! :)

The 921 only techinally has a "TV1" output though it is dual tuner and the composite video/analog stereo audio is duplicated on the back. But it only shows one thing at a time out its many outputs (some of which may be disabled depending on the output mode).

But BFG summarized the comparison very nicely. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)