FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've seen the $5 dvr fee mentioned by a few people in this thread. My question is, since when does Dish have a dvr fee? I have an 811 and a 508, and only pay a $5 lease fee for each.

Rocker74 said:
I've seen the $5 dvr fee mentioned by a few people in this thread. My question is, since when does Dish have a dvr fee? I have an 811 and a 508, and only pay a $5 lease fee for each.

The 508 is exempt from DVR fees because (if I understand correctly) it is a "PVR" instead of a DVR. Now what the difference is, I don't know. I just know the older digital recorders are exempt from the fees.

The DVR fee was introduced with the 510. The difference between DVR and PVR is a marketing invention by Dish to somehow justify the fees. It only takes knowing that the only difference between the 508 and 510 is the size of the hard drive to show what a steaming crock that is.

Does anyone know when E* is releasing the 942? I was informed by Dish representatives that is was scheduled for 1/31. I called today and they had no clue.

They wanted it out this month, but now they've said they're targeting for march

my scientific atlantic hd dvr holds 20 hours of hd. their site says 25, but mine will only do 20. it also has firewire and usb ports.

Stacy A said:
The 508 is exempt from DVR fees because (if I understand correctly) it is a "PVR" instead of a DVR. Now what the difference is, I don't know. I just know the older digital recorders are exempt from the fees.

You're right, it is a PVR not a DVR. Well that stinks, I thought I might be able to save a $5 lease fee by only having one reciever. :(

The post you directed us to was dated 1-26. More info was coming out on the next chat. Did any more info get released?

1/26 was the most recent chat. It's only 2/3, the chat happen 8 days ago. ;)

If someone signs up for DHA they are going to assume that it is like the cable company, where their receivers get upgraded FREE of charge when new hardware comes out.

WeeJavaDude said:
Valid point, however most DVR users don't have a DVHS deck from what I can tell and would much rather have the additional recording space.
Many users do have a DVD recorder with firewire input, or a PC with Firewire input.

More DVR recording space, of course is of major concern. It's nice that the Cable DVR's will have expansion capability shortly from those nice folks at Maxtor, and, of course, DirecTivos have now.

Dish, OTOH, makes upgrading hdd space almost impossible. In the rare occasion that is possible, it involves jumping through flaming hoops.

Imagine our disappointment when you are given a 522 ;)

It's not that we don't believe you. You were just given bad information.

I hope I'm wrong.

I agree in the sense I'll believe it when I see it in front of me but none the less I've paid for it and I have an installation date of 2/12 for one 942 and one 522.

Long story short, I had a bad experience when I tried to rejoin Dish after leaving for 2 months to try out Comcast. The issue was escilated, and I spoke to someone in corporate who set me back up. I mentioned the 942 and asked about MPEG4. The rep agreed it would be a couple of months before the 942 hits the market but when I asked what could be done for all my trouble I was shocked when I was told I could get a 942.

I went the lease route and was charged $299, $250 for the 942 and $49 for the 522. I have an authorization number for my charge on my Discover card.

I'm just as skeptical as all of you but I guess we'll see in a week. If I don't get it, you can be assured I'll be calling Dish again and if I do get it, I'll post pics and praise Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.